“Ideal for overnight stay”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Great location and very modern but rooms are a bit small and are not very sound proof typical of Holiday Inns but has everything you need. Great power shower but also a small bathroom, Comfertable bed with choice of pillows, Towels are a bit small but plenty of them. Didn't eat or use bar so will not comment on these. overall ideal if your only staying one or two nights and on a budget

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed May 23, 2010

On Sunday, May 2 my three friends and I were on a train to Newcastle and were completely exhausted. We were supposed to have left the train station an hour earlier on the train to Edinburgh, but the staff at the station told us to get on the wrong train and we missed ours. We were frustrated and just wanted to get back to our homes. They sent us to Newcastle, but we had to stay overnight and catch a 6:25 am train to Edinburgh the next morning. We booked a night at the Holiday Inn Express in Newcastle at Waterloo and St. James Square while we were on the train. We arrived at midnight, and would be leaving by 5:30 am. The staff was extremely helpful and considerate to our needs. They gave us extra pillows, coffee, tea and towels. They set up an early breakfast time just for us- an hour before normal time. They were so nice and accommodating. After our long day it was just what we needed. They were incredible and should be recognized for their extra effort in providing us such excellent service, above and beyond our expectations.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Cal12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to recommend the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team to be extremely helpful and considerate to your needs.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Express by Holiday Inn Newcastle City Centre soon.

Lorraine Watson

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I checked in after a very long journey to find that hotel had lost some key information from my booking (loyalty club number and room preference). The receptionist offered nothing in the way of apology for this and offered no recognition whatsoever of my long-term brand loyalty. I was clearly tired and stressed but he didn't ask about my journey - all he seemed interested in was getting a swipe of my credit card, even though I had given this on booking and they had all the details on the system.

I struggled with my luggage to the room I was allocated, having to negotiate one of those lifts you put your room key in and there being no indication on the room key which way to insert it in the slot. When I got there, I was dismayed to see it was a twin room as I thought I had booked a double room for single occupancy. I went all the way back to reception with my luggage and politely explained that I had been expecting a double bed. It turned out that the booking had been for a 'standard room - type to be allocated on arrival'. The receptionist did not apologise for not having offered me a choice of room or at least explaining up front that only twin rooms were available. I asked to be transferred to a double room and was told that there were none available. His attitude was extremely offhand and he made no attempt to rectify the situation, e.g by offering me a voucher for a drink or to help me move my luggage to a double room the following day when a double room was available. A manager had been standing 6 feet away all this time and made no effort to help resolve the situation. When I asked for his help he responded with the same careless attitude.

The main reason I cannot stand twin rooms is because at every HI and HIX I have ever stayed in with twin beds, the duvets are tiny and I am woken up throughout the night by cold draughts of air. This occasion was no exception. Also, there was nothing in the literature in the room about how to get online. I discovered afterwards that they charge £15!

When I got back the next evening, the bed had not been made properly (I left it made but generally the chambermaids smooth everything out and make it look professional), the towels I'd left in the shower for laundry had been hung back on the towel rails and the shower had not been cleaned.

On the whole though this was a disappointing experience which severely tested my loyalty to the HIX and its partner hotels in the IHG chain.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Me and my partner arrived at a very busy time. It was manic and thought maybe we should check in a bit later, till 1 off the staff behind the check in desk made eye contact and told us to hold 1 moment and it wont be long till we are checked in. Which was already a good start to our arival. check in was fast and friendly and a many things were offered, from a map of places to eat, drink and museums. We were very suprised how much attension was giving to us due to it being so busy and made our begining off our holiday in Newcastle very welcome. Anything we needed was never a bother for any off the staff. The rooms were basic and small but nice. Toilet had a bit of a funny. We arrived happy and left feeling pleased with our stay. A huge thank you to all the hard working staff!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Good central location near to central train station & a 10/15 minute walk from the Tyne or town centre. Unfortunately I've stayed at many Holiday Inns but was quite disapointed. Initial room allocation was already occupied, second room stank of stale tobacco. No one told us we were expected to pay for the 2 nights parking vouchers at the adjacent council run car park until check out time. After our first night, no top up of coffee/milk & beds very poorly made up after room service had left. Reading lights didn't work. Third room allocated. Breakfast OK but limited in choice. Lots of stag parties. Staff though helpful and polite at all times which rescued a pretty poor experience really. Special mention to Lauren & Doug, duty managers who seemed genuinely embaressed and concerned about the inconvenience & poor housekeeping.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed here one Saturday night when passing through Newcastle. The hotel has a great location, and the staff are generally friendly and efficient. The bar is half decent, although tended to be busy with stag and hen nights just starting off. The rooms are basic budget hotel stuff, but a bit tired looking compared to some of the newer hotels of a similar standard. The mugs were filthy and you had to walk down to reception to collect an iron, which was very irritating when you had just got out of the shower. Other than that we had no major complaints, but nothing really to rave about either.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I stayed here last week with my friend for my birthday & we were very impressed with the overall stnadard of the hotel. It's very new, clean & the staff are excellent - especially Lauren on reception who was really helpful on our arrival.

They offer everything for you no matter what you've forgotten just ask at reception & you shall have it :-) very impressive. I'm really glad I chose here & I will be booking it again for my friends hen weekend in a months.

I would def reccomend it to everyone no matter what u are travelling for. The rooms are of a high standard & the beds were so comfortable. There was no outside noise as other reviews had mentioned & I wouldnt see why there would be as the hotel is far enough off the road to keep u away from the main hustle & bustle of the nightlife.

We couldnt have asked for more, its in a great location for clubbing, visiting & shopping. Cant wait to return, thanks to the staff for making our weekend the best ever, you''s were great craic :-)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Cal12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor.

It is important to us that all our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable stay and I am very pleased to hear all the positive comments you commented on regarding your stay including your stab at our Geordie language. I have passed your comments on to Lauren who is very pleased to receive such a review

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Lorraine Watson