“its ok, but nothing to get excited about. Better out there.”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel and never can understand why they don't fit air con throughout. Although this is a budget hotel ish, unfortunately I never find their prices particularly very budget probably why I've never stayed at one of these before.

I did get a rear facing bedroom thankfully but I would have felt sorry for guests on the main road side. This hotel is based on a busy crossroads only a couple of minutes from the Redheugh Bridge. Weekend in question was just as the heat wave ended in Newcastle. However even with temperatures outside of below 20 degrees the room when I arrived was 28. It took from the Friday evening till the Monday morning for the temperature to get to 24. Fortunately the hotel does provide fans which did help they do fit nicely on the window sill and with the window open will drag in cooler air. The so called heating system / air cooler (not air con) was about as good as a chocolate fire-guard. Made little difference and was fairly noisy. Would also like to add that the hotel lobby has full aircon, was like a fridge compared all weekend, however getting in the lift nearly took your breath away with the heat.

However room otherwise was very decent, lots of towels bed comfortable, decent comfortable without being plush. Worth the £100 ish it cost per night average for the whole weekend? maybe not however its uber uber well located in the city centre and only a couple of mins wander to the Newcastle nightlife.

Staff was good and most polite they do make a big thing about that breakfast is always included. Nice idea but there's normally a catch if its free. Yes the cooked range was horrid. I've had worse but only just, Sausages awful, basically the cheapest possible, scrambled egg very bland same with the beans and no bacon on offer. This was the Saturday morning, I didn't bother Sunday and Monday and chose to eat elsewhere.

In summary. Its a good hotel, well located. But find elsewhere in warm weather and avoid breakfast unless its only Cornflakes etc. Would I stay there again, yes but only in cooler weather, but always ask for a rear facing bedroom!

Room Tip: Always ask for a rear courtyard facing room. Front of the hotel is on a busy city centre dual carri...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear thebff,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and the room.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the air conditioning and the food selection which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Typical Holiday Inn Express - my room overlooked courtyard and I would stay this is the best location as rooms on the other side of the hotel over looked a busy road.
Convenient location for city centre and about 10-15 mins walk down to the Quayside.
Reception staff helpful.
The bed was comfortable, with a choice of soft or firm pillows, sofa & work station, complimentary wifi for entire stay. Shower room clean, good towels.
The multi story car park is next to the hotel, charge is 80p hr, free after 6.00pm on Sunday, with charges commencing at 8.00am the following morning , you can pre pay in advance on the night before,so you do not have to get up early to pay.
Breakfast is included in the room rate but was very average, hot choice only consists of sausages, baked beans & scrambled eggs. Tinned peaches....the only fresh fruit being either an apple or orange.
Having previously stayed at a Hoilday Inn Express in Belgium the breakfast was just "continental style" but it offered a far better choice.
I felt the standard of breakfast was poor hence that's why I have only given this hotel an average rating.
If you want to eat out at an Indian restaurant "Akbars" is located in the building on the opposite side of the courtyard - handy if its raining & you don't want to walk into town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear MidlandsTravelg,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is nice to know that you found our reception staff to be helpful and our beds to be comfortable. I regret though that the breakfast experience was a disappointment. We take all feedback seriously and we will use your comments to improve on our efforts.

Despite this, I hope the next time you are in the area you give our hotel another try.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very pleased with hotel. Room was booked for myself, my husband and my 2 daughters aged 11 and 17 to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. 2 nights stay. Ideal position for walking into town and for getting to shops and restuarants especially Chinatown. Great room for all of us and plenty of clean towels. First night was a Saturday night and the hotel had a few hen and stag parties. There was a little bit of noise but nothing too bad. Breakfast was ideal plenty to eat even when the hotel was obviously full. Would use again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I'm well pleased by this hotel. The rooms were relatively quiet (window-wise) for a city center hotel. I occasionally heard shouting and trucks, but it was negligible, especially with the air unit on low, and ear plugs. I asked for a quiet room and I... kind of.... got it. Room 517, and other rooms surely, are located to something inside the hallway wall. Probably a water heater. It vibrates.... on and off, both a low and mid-level vibration. I'm super sensitive to vibrations and I don't really like having my bed vibrate while trying to sleep. BUT, I did have a decent night sleep the first night in the hotel, which is not easy for me, a light sleeper.

Pros:
-The bed was comfy... mid-range as far as firm/soft goes.
-No sheet, just a duvet - normal for England I guess.
-Two or more choices of firmness for pillows.
-Good TV.
-Great bathroom - the box shower is very roomy unlike many British hotels. The sink and toilet are nice. Towels soft, but one was tattered a bit.
-Hand and body soap provided.
-Great air conditioner unit - quiet and similar to central air.
-Good lighting system - book lights and dim bathroom lights, very cool.
-LOCATION! So great. Just up the street from train station.
-24/hr desk, nice staff.
-Breakfast was really good as far as American standards of English breakfasts go (love me a good English breakfast, yes please!) Cappuccino machine is just fine, juice machines normal quality, good assortment of breads/pastries but nothing to write home about. Just fine altogether for 5gbp.
-Hair drier
-Opening window
-two night tables
-large desk
-QUIET(ish)

Cons:
-No shampoos or soaps offered.
-No washcloths - NORMAL for UK, bring your own.
-Water heater vibrations. VRRRRBBBBMMM.
-Low water pressure
-Coffee stain on carpet in front of coffee machine
-Wi-Fi is mediocre (fine for emails etc) and only available to one user

Room Tip: Free Wi-Fi LIMITED to ONE computer and is slow at about 500 kbsp. Unlimited speed costs 5gbp per day...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Regina P
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very clean and very helpful staff. I only stayed one night on a work trip. For the money it is perfect.It was only a 5 min walk into town and the staff told me a good route to go to see some nice area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Check in was efficient. The rooms were generous in size and very clean. Breakfast was warm and filling. Despite charging for luggage storage, the luggage was locked away and safe as opposed to another hotel we stayed at in London. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Isobelot,

Thank you for taking the time out your busy day to review our hotel here in Newcastle city centre.

Its always wonderful to hear such nice praise for the staff. I am also glad to hear the breakfast was filling and you will return to our hotel on your next visit to Newcastle.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel soon.

Best Wishes
Lee Anderson
Guest Services

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had a miserable time at the Sandman Signiture hotel which was nearby and was desperate to move out and find another hotel. So after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I called Holiday Inn Express to see if they can help.

It was after midnight but luckily they had a room and even offered a discount because I called late. From the moment I called the receptionist he was very helpful, polite and honest about the room. I said I was a very light sleeper and wanted a quiet room and I was offered a choice of rooms to suit my request. I chose the rooms facing the courtyard (the back) in the end and it was indeed quiet.

There was the odd noisy reveller passing by but that is expected as it is so close to the city but there was no noticeable car noise or noisy air conditioner units. It was such a relief to be able to check in and be offered a nice, quiet, clean, warm, cosy, good value room, especially as I had a horrible experience from the other hotel.

I ended up staying two nights so am able to say breakfast was good value and had all your basics, nothing fancy but non the less it filled me up. There was a nice selection of Twinnings tea.

It was my first time staying with Holiday Inn and I would certainly come back to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard and away from the lift if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MrSChen13
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear MrSChen13,

Thank you for taking the time out your busy day to review our hotel here in Newcastle.

I am thrilled to hear you preferred our brand to the Sandman. The team here at Newcastle look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your return visits to Newcastle.

Best Wishes