This is a fairly new hotel and never can understand why they don't fit air con throughout. Although this is a budget hotel ish, unfortunately I never find their prices particularly very budget probably why I've never stayed at one of these before.
I did get a rear facing bedroom thankfully but I would have felt sorry for guests on the main road side. This hotel is based on a busy crossroads only a couple of minutes from the Redheugh Bridge. Weekend in question was just as the heat wave ended in Newcastle. However even with temperatures outside of below 20 degrees the room when I arrived was 28. It took from the Friday evening till the Monday morning for the temperature to get to 24. Fortunately the hotel does provide fans which did help they do fit nicely on the window sill and with the window open will drag in cooler air. The so called heating system / air cooler (not air con) was about as good as a chocolate fire-guard. Made little difference and was fairly noisy. Would also like to add that the hotel lobby has full aircon, was like a fridge compared all weekend, however getting in the lift nearly took your breath away with the heat.
However room otherwise was very decent, lots of towels bed comfortable, decent comfortable without being plush. Worth the £100 ish it cost per night average for the whole weekend? maybe not however its uber uber well located in the city centre and only a couple of mins wander to the Newcastle nightlife.
Staff was good and most polite they do make a big thing about that breakfast is always included. Nice idea but there's normally a catch if its free. Yes the cooked range was horrid. I've had worse but only just, Sausages awful, basically the cheapest possible, scrambled egg very bland same with the beans and no bacon on offer. This was the Saturday morning, I didn't bother Sunday and Monday and chose to eat elsewhere.
In summary. Its a good hotel, well located. But find elsewhere in warm weather and avoid breakfast unless its only Cornflakes etc. Would I stay there again, yes but only in cooler weather, but always ask for a rear facing bedroom!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the heart of vibrant Newcastle at the Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre hotel. Located near Newcastle Central Station, our modern hotel is a short stroll from the city centre's cosmopolitan shops, bars and restaurants. Start your day right at our Express Start buffet breakfast which is always included and enjoy a choice of both hot and continental items. Ask Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre's friendly front desk staff for tips on sightseeing and getting around the city. Help yourself to tea and coffee during your business event in Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centres 2 air-conditioned meeting rooms. Getting to meetings around Newcastle is a breeze thanks to our proximity to the A1 and train and metro services from the station 300 metres away. Our convenient city-centre location, a short walk from historic St Nicholas Cathedral, makes us a good base for sightseeing. Stroll across the sweeping Gateshead Millennium Bridge for a night out in the Arts Quarter's hip bars and restaurants and head to the huge MetroCentre 3 miles away for hundreds more shopping and entertainment options. After a day's sightseeing, unwind over drinks in Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre's contemporary bar, open 24 hours, or catch up on email with our free Wi-Fi. Our helpful staff will be happy to order takeaway food for you to enjoy in the comfort of your modern guest room. Wi-Fi is free for guests who book directly with the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Newcastle Upon Tyne Holiday Inn