“Disappointing”

Mark Toney Cafe & Ice Cream Parlour
Description: Traditional cafe and ice cream parlour run by the Marcantonio family who have been making ice cream in Newcastle since 1892. Handmade ice creams and sorbets, plus fresh, home-cooked food from breakfasts to early evening meals, delicious coffees, sandwiches and cakes.
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Staff didn't seem interested in serving us. Three of them stood at the till and completely ignored me until another lady came along and served me. Had ice creams, really disappointing. For somewhere known for ice creams, they were really not nice.

Anne M, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe & Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were disappointed, and we have spoken to the staff concerned - we believe that there was a misunderstanding as to who was serving you, but it was unsatisfactory and we have asked the staff to make sure this situation does not happen again. Re your comments about our ice creams, it seems that your dissatisfaction with the service has made you dissatisfied with the ice cream - unfairly, as our ice creams are excellent quality, dairy ice creams with a pedigree of more than 120 years, and along with the long-standing Gold Medal awards our ice creams have recently received many Great Taste awards, of 1, 2 and 3 stars. If you do revisit Newcastle, please pop in and give us another chance - we’d love to change your mind!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

After my regular hairdressing appointment in Newcastle I always head for Mark Toney's in Percy Street. I find the staff there are very pleasant and helpful. I use a walking stick and there is always one of them who offers to carry my tray to a table for me. They have a great variety of sandwiches etc. to choose from, but I usually opt for one of their paninis with salad and coleslaw. A cup of cafe latte and a delicious apple or fruit slice with ice cream to follow and I am ready for a bit of shopping in M&S before getting the bus back to Ryton.

Thank you for taking the time to write your very nice review - our staff are always happy to help - thank you for making us part of your regular trip!

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited here whilst Christmas shopping and had a bacon roll and some homemade fruit pie with ice cream - it was great! A welcome break from shopping.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Place was dirty ,toilets not clean smelled awful and it was still early morning not nice if visiting before your food which unfortunatley I had already ordered. Corned beef in toastie was sour coffee cup reeked of perfume ,no hairnet s on staff who also could of been smarter also girl who served food coughing all over place and not discreetly hiding it wouldnt return in a hurry for my sloppy sour toastie which wasnt cheap either yak!

2  Thank billabong2014