“Fantastic food”
Review of Nectar - CLOSED

Nectar
Reviewed April 18, 2014

As a big fan of Junipers Pantry in Sunderland, I was very keen to visit their new venture at Nectar Bar in Newcastle.
I've been twice in a fortnight, once for the lunchtime menu and once for the 2 courses for £15 a la carte menu.
The bar is done out well and the staff friendly. You can see into the kitchen from the bar which is always a welcome sight.
On my first visit I had duck and black pudding burger and on the second I had beef feather blade followed by Apple and elderflower crumble. All dishes were excellent and good value as I have come to expect from junipers pantry.
The only reason I've given 4 stars instead of 5 is that there have been problems with the draft beers and soft drinks on both visits. The bottled selection is good and this is hopefully a temporary problem

1  Thank RestlessNatives

Reviewed April 11, 2014

the first impression of this place when you walk in is astonishment. this place has been done out to such a high standard. you feel like you've found a secret. much like those chic gaffs in the meat packing district in new york where you go in a unassuming door way up some stairs only to find a place you wished you'd known about all your life.

the drinks on offer were astonishing. cocktails with toast as an ingredient? trust me it was sublime. long island ice tea in a quirky tea pot. cocktails your thing? youre in good hands

now the food.

the duck and black pudding soft centred ( no oozing) yolk was a thing of beauty. my husbands keens cheddar rarebit on home made sourdough with soused veg was a flavour combo sensation. might even suggest to walkers!!!

my beef feather blade with bone marrow sweet shallot and fondant potato was a carnivores dream. he went for the butterflied sea bass with purple broccoli and salsa verde...

you just dont see this type of food up here

desserts were a push for us but we could not resist the ever so charming waiters sales patter and we indulged

chocolate brownie with mango sorbet

choux buns with vahlrona chocolate sauce and velvety orange chantilly

one word tremendous

the service was top class from start to finish. old school charm without being being pushy or arrogant

its a must try

1  Thank teggers2014
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Brilliant food cooked to perfection, lovely atmosphere, very trendy and comfy little place. Our food was perfect from start to finish, mouth watering Goats Cheese to start followed by the beef which I was blown away with, so tender and tasty then I finished with the Apple tart Tatin again, every single course was fantastic. 3 courses for £18.95, well worth every penny.

The cocktails are also excellent, with happy hour deals etc on

You must give this place a try, I have already reserved a table for my next visit in two weeks.

Keep up the good work

2  Thank AimNKeith
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Great addition to the decent trio of bars on pilgrim st.
Been twice, once for drinksies ( cocktails were excellent )
And recently for a Sunday dinner which I must say was as good as any I've had in newcastle.

Great quirky independent friendly vibe & a haven from the Geordie shore mainstream that's taking over newcastle at the moment

1  Thank Paulywauly32
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Visited Newcastle again and the bar called Nector in pilgrim street and was once again blown away by the food now provided by junipers pantry and the cocktails and setting were excellent.In my opinion the bar is one of the best bars in Newcastle

1  Thank skevsy