“Fabulous cakes- a hidden treasure”

The Great British Cupcakery
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous cakes- a hidden treasure”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Came here after walking past the day before. Super choice of cakes and something unusual to find in a busy city. Would definitely return!

• Visited October 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Unusual afternoon tea- large appetite required”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I was taken to this bakery as a treat from my niece - we both love cake ! She had a promotion voucher that she had found on the Internet so it was already prepaid so I am not able to comment on cost. . The cake stand was crammed with delicious treats including a treacle tart a cheese scone a cup cake with an eaton mess topping and there was also a good selection of very fresh sandwiches . I could not fault the home baking although the portions were large . It was not a dainty afternoon tea but for a healthy appetite and good flavours this is worth a try . The staff were very friendly and explained what each item was . Tea was served in fine bone china cups from mixed and matched tea sets which I liked. . It didn't quite get full marks because they didn't ask if we wanted more tea but that is a very minor quibble . I had a very pleasant afternoon and will take my friends. . Staff did box a couple of items to take home

Visited October 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place for tea try it”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We used a travel zoo voucher to reserve a table and I was a little anxious after reading previous reviews a couple of days ago. We found nothing at all to fault, the staff were charming and the food top class. There were four of us and everyone gets there own cake stand crammed with deliciousness! The scones with jam and cream were the best any of us had tasted so light and fresh. Well done to the baker. Good luck with your new business. We will definitely come back.

Washington, United Kingdom
“Shabby chic, relaxed and very welcoming”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Visited a few weeks back, wide variety of choice, very clean and attentive staff! Looking forward to trying the 'Berry Crumble' on my next visit

Newcastle upon Tyne
“Delightful”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Worth a visit just for the quirkiness! The décor reflects a vintage feel with quaint china cups hanging in the windows and walls painted in a duck egg blue lending a relaxing atmosphere to the tea room.

We enjoyed afternoon tea which was very good. A selection of four triangle sandwiches which were both tasty and fresh AND THEN THE CAKES! I am sorry to say I was only able to eat the scone which was packed full of cream and jam and the wonderful chocolate brownie which was both crunchy and gooey, delicious! However, I was provided with a cake box to take the profiterole and the mini tower of a cupcake home with me.

Staff were friendly and attentive and also informed us just to ask for more tea as refills were included in the price of the afternoon tea. All in all the tea room was spic and span and the toilets were clean and tidy too.

I look forward to visiting The Great British Cupcakey again in the very near future even if it's just to pick up a few tempting treats!