“Pre theatre ”

Pleased to Meet You
Ranked #150 of 1,479 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A quirky, soulful gin bar and restaurant - full of great food, craft beers and amazing cocktails. Featuring a wide variety of mouth watering dishes, over 15 alternating craft beers and ales, a huge variety of gins and unique cocktails.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Arrived on spec and they accommodate us. Table for 4 at 1pm. Only had one portion of the cod left, so two opted for Scampi... I had no great expectations looking at the general organisation in the restaurant and the menus, so I expected average food!however it was not good at all. I did not have the time to send the food back as we were due at the theatre by the time we got the food, but the scampi was at best over cooked. The large prawn served with it, was not cleaned properly.... and one potion was hollow! basically no clue of how to deliver what must have been a prepared menu from the freezer... ..
I noticed some folks had cakes and prosecco, looked an ok option ...perhaps I was just in the wrong place as I would be not be “pleased to meet” anyone in there that knew anything about good food!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (973)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Arrived in town early so took advantage of their pre theatre offer, 2 courses for £13, we both had soup which was carrot & orange with a hint of pepper followed by the herb fed chicken & flattened rump steak (£3 supplement), both well presented and absolutely delicious.

Our waiter was pleasant & funny as well as attentive. The toilets were beautiful & incredibly clean. The decor was different whilst interesting & quirky, really liked the style with bare pipes & brick while other walls adjacent to the stairs were covered in lovely wall paper, we’d happily return.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Before a visit to the the theatre I thought I'd give this restaurant a try.
First impressions were excellent, it's a lovely, bright place with excellent, friendly staff. I was eating alone this time and was offered a nice table. It was a Saturday and the restaurant was busy but I didn't feel cramped.

I'm not sure if they have a lunchtime offer on a Saturday, however I decided to go a la carte. I decided to try the smoked steak tartare (£12.00) and the seared hake with razor clams (£21.00), I had a diet coke and my total bill was £36.95.

As for the food, my starter was excellent, well presented and served under a smoke filled glass cloche. I thoroughly enjoyed it, couldn't really fault it. My main wasn't quite as good, the hake was well cooked, unfortunately there was one bone and the razor clam was overcooked, verging on rubbery. Don't get me wrong, the main was very nice, just not as good as my starter and there were a couple of faults. One small thing I was also disappointed with was that this is a good restaurant, serving excellent food, slightly more expensive than most places and the napkins were paper not linen, I know I'm nit picking but I would have expected lined for a near £40.00 lunch.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for an early evening meal after a full days conference in the town.

Staff were really attentive. Service was quick and professional. We had steak with vegetables and they were delicious cooked just as we had ordered. The truffle cauliflower cheese was fab. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Good food well prepared and excellent/friendly service.
We all started with Scotch egg which was excellent.
We all then had fish dishes - salmon, crab and scampi - fresh and well cooked
Two puds between three of us agian excellent.