“BEAUTIFUL FOOD”

Shiraz Indian Cuisine
Ranked #199 of 1,332 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set in the Heart of Newcastle City Centre near the infamous Bigg Market, Shiraz offers a fusion of beautiful, authentic Indian Cuisine within a stylish, contemporary setting. Our newly refurbished 100-seat restaurant caters from individual dining to large groups.For a truly rewarding dining experience, you can find us up the stairs on the first floor of 39b Groat Market.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

have only visited once with my partner and was surprised to find it fairly empty on a Friday evening, I did not have high expectations having purchased a groupon voucher and when visiting new places your experience can have varying results! however the food was excellent, I went slightly off menu as my tastes have changed and am getting braver with the heat in my meals, so after a delicious pickle tray and poppadoms (complimentary), I had a lamb shri-lanken (sorry for my spelling) and my fella had a Ceylon, we were both very impressed with dishes and service and its also very nicely decorated, already bought another voucher today but wine and meals so reasonably priced that soon i'll have to book in advance! looking forward to exploring the menu further, keep up the good work shiraz.

1  Thank Jeanette H

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Four of us visited, on a Wednesday evening, using a Groupon voucher.

The welcome was warm and as we were the only customers (it was only 8.15 PM), we were shown immediately to our table. Food and drinks orders were taken by the delightful waitress and duly arrived hot, fresh and flavourful.

So why the "average" score you may be asking....... in a word "pennypinching". When the non-itemised bill arrived, it appeared somewhat excessive. So I discreetly approached the owner and asked her for a breakdown; which she provided a few minutes later. They had charged correctly for the beer, wine, nan breads and coffees but had added a surcharge for the dishes containing prawns. Also surprisingly we had been charged for the rice dishes accompanying our main courses. The owner felt duty bound to defend these charges by saying "if you check the small print in your contract you will see we are perfectly entitled to make these charges". Not wishing to spoil a pleasant evening-out with friends, by entering into detailed contract negotiations with a service provider, I simply smiled and paid.

Back home I checked the small print (as she suggested) and discovered the "prawn surcharge" should only be applied to king prawns (ours were the small, non-royal variety). As for the rice: she was absolutely correct: the voucher did not specifically include rice. I was foolishly assuming that a two course Indian feast would include some rice.

In summary: good food and excellent service, yet I walked out of Shiraz feeling less then happy. Shame. The owner has lost potential return customers and what would have been an excellent review. But she has gained a few quid. Good business???

1  Thank montaguetc
Surina C, Public Relations Manager at Shiraz Indian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your experience at Shiraz. We aim to ensure all of customers leave satisfied.

I can assure you we do not penny pinch here at Shiraz, we ensure all meals are to a high standard, no matter if they are purchased at full price or on a Groupon at £5.75 per person. We do not make any money on these Groupon deals, they are simply a form of advertising for us, hence we charge for the Rice, Naan and add a supplement on certain dishes which is clearly stated at the time of purchasing. By adding these small charges we break-even rather than profit from your visit.

We sell hundreds of Groupon vouchers and if we were to allow all customers to have everything included, we simply would not be able to run the deal.

I do hope you return to our restaurant, as you seemed to enjoy your meal on the night and the only thing that you found disappointing, was the additional £6 charge per person for the extras ordered including drinks, which I think is quite a fair price.

If you could email me at Surina@shirazcuisine.co.uk that would be great.

Kind regards
Surina

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was my first visit to this particular Indian Rstaurant and it will not be my last. The food was really lovely set in a nice atmosphere. The staff were so helpful and friendly.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

visited here tonight with a friend.
its in the bigg market which can be a bit mental after 9 at the weekend but decided to give this a try.
its recently been taken over and staff are really friendly.
the manageress took time to have a chat with us and was very nice.
good point mentioned earlier is the complimentary popadoms.
the menu is reasonably priced and we had lamb chops (bit tough) and chili garlic prawns (very nice)
I wanted a fish curry and she made one especially for me even though it was not on the menu and it was really tasty.
friend had lamb rogan josh which he really enjoyed.
overall very good value for mone y and I would recommend and probably will return.

1  Thank arky25Scotland
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have sampled a full meal from the restaurant, but haven't actually been there as yet. I do know of friends that have visited recently though, and they have had nothing but positive feed back and praise for the place.

The food was delicious and I would highly recommend a visit to anyone. I gather the service is fast and friendly, located in the centre of town, near to all the main bars and night spots.

I would not hesitate to go there in the future. Definitely worth a look.

1  Thank Chris W