“A Good Find”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2017

Having passed this restaurant on numerous occasions we finally decided to give it a try and were so pleased we stopped.From the Early Bird menu we shared a bruschetta which was very tasty and then for mains we chose Cannelloni and Tagliatelle Bolognese..The cannelloni though not as hot as I normally prefer was however the best I have tasted. We finished with Tiramisu which was homemade and delicious...We will be back...a thoroughly enjoyable evening .

4  Thank anndot

Reviewed June 5, 2017

We (a party of three) ate at Antico's in May of this year. It was a return visit and chosen mainly for its convenient location. The decor is welcoming enough although a bit over the top but the chairs not particularly comfortable at our table. We had rather a long wait for our food this time. My choice was fish which I asked to be served with extra vegetables rather than potatoes. One of our party chose steak (chewy and fatty I gathered), the other risotto which was uninspired but tasty enough. I just think the menu is a bit tired and predictable and the cooking is really not much more than average home cooking - so for the price, it's not really that good. Wine and drink prices are on the steep side. Service is efficient but not over friendly. It did the job in terms of providing a meal, but it didn't feel like an occasion or that anyone was particularly bothered whether we were there or not (and one of our party uses the place a lot). Not much to recommend here based on this particular experience.

1  Thank TheOutsider55
Reviewed May 28, 2017

We took our son and his girlfriend to Antico in Jesmond for a meal.We hadn't been before and were very impressed with the surroundings.It looks very clean and the decor is beautiful.
We ordered some drinks and the waitress was friendly and helpful as you would expect, and the drinks arrived promptly.
My husband and I ordered king prawn risotto, and our son and his girlfriend ordered fish main courses.They were asked if they wanted vegetables OR chips and they ordered chips.
When the meals arrived they looked okay, though the portions looked very small.The chips arrived in two very small bowls and they didn't look very appetising.
My son and his girlfriend said the food was tasty, but I was worried it wouldn't fill them up.
My husband finished his risotto in around three minutes, and I wasn't far behind.It's the poorest risotto I've had in an Italian restaurant.I had a similar one in my local estate pub where it was like boiled rice mixed with a sauce.No creaminess from the rice at all.It was so disappointing.
We ordered desserts which were average, though I'm not convinced they were home made, and we weren't offered cream.
I can see that this restaurant has had some excellent reviews, so I can only think that perhaps the regular chef was absent.I know I'm not over fussy, and I really prefer to leave a good review.
If we'd been alone we would have voiced our concerns but our son and his girlfriend would have been upset as they had chosen the restaurant and we hadn't seen them for weeks.
In my opinion, if someone chooses your restaurant and pays nearly £20 for a main course, they should be offered vegetables AND chips , and leave feeling reasonably full after a main and dessert.
Overall, the staff were very nice and the surroundings were lovely,hence the three stars, but at the end of the day it's all about the food.

1  Thank PollyannaEngland
Reviewed May 8, 2017

A wholesome touch of Italy in Jesmond.

Antico is an interesting little spot. The interiors are plush and the service is good. Celebrating a birthday and the end of an assignment, my friend and I ordered a bottle of Prosecco to drink, while I ordered the Parmigiana to start with. This is a wonderful dish of aubergine layered with mozzarella and a tomato sauce. I then moved on to a margarita pizza, which was filling, if a little too generous with the cheese topping.

I would gladly return to Antico in the future.

1  Thank JEM_Yorkshire
Reviewed May 5, 2017

Wonderful food and a great atmosphere without being overly pricey. Food was fresh, well prepared and very tastey. The atmosphere was wonderful for us meeting with family but could work well on a date as well. Staff were attentive but not in your face. More of a local place as a bit out of the way for tourists but well worth finding and enjoying. Not very noisy so a good place where you can have a conversation everyone can hear!

5  Thank mzsunnyblonde