“Nice artisan style restaurant”
Review of Arlo

Arlo
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2013

A friend and I visited the restaurant for a light supper on a Friday. I had the halloumi and mushroom burger which was very tasty although one of the skewers was hidden in the bun so I ended up biting it. My friend had the Harissa chicken and I think enjoyed it. We were able to take advantage of the free glass of wine which made the meal excellent value. We would have liked a dessert to finish with but the only option was one of the cakes which would have been a little too 'heavy'. My friend did have two scoops of ice cream, of which there was only vanilla although the waitress was a little unsure of the flavours available. I just had a cup of camomile tea. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very nice, busy but quiet enough so it was possible to easily carry on a conversation. Service while we were eating was excellent but once she had served the ice cream and tea, our waitress ignored us and it was impossible to catch her eye to get the bill. It took us about 20 mins to attract someone else's attention to pay. All in all we spent about 2hrs in the restaurant having a fairly light supper. That in itself was not a problem for us because it gave us the opportunity to 'catch up' but if time were likely to be an issue, it would be wise to ask for the bill when food is served.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We were impressed on arriving at Arlo. It has a really nice buzz about it. However, we had to wait almost an hour for our food and, as I was catching a train shortly after, that hour was an anxious one. When our food arrived it was delicious (Tempura Fish Finger sandwich for me, Vegetable Tangine for my wife). We were disappointed with the delay but then our waitress, Zara, brought our bill. She was very apologetic about our wait, had already taken the drinks off of bill and offered us free cakes to take away. I still think an hour is too long to wait in any circumstances but Zara did her best to make amends. So all ended well. Hopefully our experience is not the norm as the food and ambience at Arlo are both very good. (Oh, and by the way, I caught my train...just!)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Visited this lovely little gem last night for a birthday treat, we were warmly welcomed and seated straight away despite not making a reservation.
My partner and I used the 'free glass of wine or bottle of bear' offer with any main meal, which was well advertised at the table and a very pleasing little bonus.
The whole experience was fabulous! I had the salmon, prawn and feta cheese salad, and my partner opted for the burger.
Both dishes were fantastic, I'd go so far as to say it is the best prepared salad I have ever eaten in Newcastle (and I eat out weekly if not more).
Excellent service, wonderful staff, lovely atmosphere and delicious food!
I believe the manager (or owner) of the restaurant served us, and he was not only warm and friendly but incredibly attentive and knowledgeable; an absolute asset to the restaurant.
I made a point of popping a cash machine on our way home and returning to the restaurant to leave a gratuity as the machine would not allow the option for my card.
Would HIGHLY recommend this gorgeous restaurant and I will certainly be back in the near future.
Absolutely delighted with the whole experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Very nice place inside, good food. The menager was nice but unfortunatelly the rest of the staff are quite rude and the service was really slow. Shame as it really has promise.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My friends had been before and were looking forward to returning, this was my first visit. My friends said that the menu had been drastically reduced since their last visit and one friend found it very difficult to find anything she wanted to eat. When our food arrived it looked appetising. Two of our meals were ok, one friend asked the waitress if she could have her meat cooked through rather than rare and she was basically told that that was how meat should be and the inference was that she should eat it how it was served not how she wanted it. It took us ages to get the bill and when we did we were reprimanded by a different waitress for not advising them before we ordered that we would be using the free drinks promotion offer voucher which was free for anyone to pick up on their way to or from the lavatory-presumably after they'd ordered?! Speaking of lavatories, they were not particularly clean, the flush on the loo was wobbly and there is no hot water tap, just a over the sink boiler-type arrangement. Overall, not a great experience.

3  Thank Margaret W