“A much better experience than before!”
Review of Arlo

Arlo
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I previously reviewed Arlo a few months ago and was dissapointed with the service and said I probably would'nt go back, however I decided to give it another go. I was meeting friends for lunch and they decided on the venue. This time I had a much better experience, the staff were really nice (the previous waitress was not there) the food was lovely and the restaurant's busy atmosphere was great. However I do think introducing a wider range of sandwiches and maybe toasted pannini's at lunchtime would be nice.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch at this little gem . Food was very good and the atmosphere was buzzy with students , parents and locals who know of this hidden gem .
Owner lead the staff and had a great way with the guests .
Well worth a visit, homemade fish finger sandwich or homemade burger must be tried .

1  Thank Gmoncur
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

For the last year, when I've strolled around Jesmond I've seen Arlo, a bistro that always seems to be full of people. Yesterday I visited.

The service was top class. The waitress was excellent - attentive, welcoming and friendly. The food was really good - well presented and well cooked (for example, the fries were cooked to perfection and there was no oil on them).

So, full marks for Arlo: it's no surprise it's always full but it's worth the wait.

1  Thank AnonymousAxl
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Four of us visited Arlo for lunch on a busy Friday around 1pm. West Jesmond Metro and meter parking available nearby, but watch out for restricted parking times in residents' bays. First impressions, shabby chic, lots of daylight, clean and airy. The restaurant was packed, couples and families and we were lucky to get seated without waiting long. (I don't know if booking is an option but would make sense if you're planning to visit at peak times). There are some pavement tables for warmer days.
Lots of variety on the menu. We opted for snacky lunches, fish finger sandwiches and burgers. These arrived very nicely presented on planks along with giant chips in their own little baskets (but which turned out to be rather squishy and disappointing). The FF sarnies were double deckers which won approval but the burger, although well presented, was dry and fell short of expectation.
Given the prices, the food itself, not just the presentation, could step up a few notches.
I like the location and the atmosphere.Service was attentive to start with but fell away as staff got busier.
For coffee and a cake I'll definitely be back soon. I'll be choosing a quieter time if I'm planning a meal there again.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've here during my last three visits to Newcastle and really enjoy the buzz, the quirky style and food. It's a very popular venue in Jesmond, particularly at the weekends and always has a great selection of home-made cakes and tray bakes. The menu has a reasonable choice of dishes and it's a great place for brunch but be prepared to wait a while as it can be difficult to get a table at the weekend.