“A little disappointed, but not all bad news”

Aneesa's Buffet Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A buffet restaurant with a difference! An exceptional range of a la carte quality food available on the buffet for one set price.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Was a little disappointed after reading the good reviews here. But let's start with the good points because there were some. The service was pretty good. The hostess showed us around the buffet pointing out where starters, mains and desserts were which was really helpful. There was always a waiter on hand to clear our plates and everything was very clean.

The starters were very tasty. I had the tandoori chicken, onion bhaji and the fish marsala, all very tasty. The naan breads were also lovely. We also enjoyed the more authentic Indian puddings, especially the dough balls in the sweet syrup which were fab!

We were disappointed, however, with the main courses. I tried the chicken korma and chicken dopiaza. Both were fairly bland with small pieces of poor quality chicken. The other desserts (than the ones mentioned above) were mainly Mr.Kipling style boxed cakes cut in half.

All in all, we probably wouldn't go back for nice starters and a few nice puds. Especially at £11.99 for a lunch buffet.

1  Thank SuperWifeMom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,425)

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Second visit here and still plan to come back sometime. It's great value. You get lots of choices there, but of course they excel in the Indian dishes. This time I want to particularly mention its deserts. It has got lots of them, but I love the cakes, ice cream, and rice pudding. Just can't stop!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We went as a family group to Aneesa's after checking out reviews on Trip Advisor. We had a great time. The service was very friendly but not over bearing. Our waitress gave us a guided tour of the restaurant as we hadn't been before which was a really nice touch and made us feel at home. We haven't been to many buffet style places before but hey they are fun! But what about the food? It was really good. The selection is very wide, starters, 'mains' and puddings. But it is up to you what you have and when. 'Hot' dishes are clearly labelled and thrre is a good selection of meat and veggy options. Everything we ate was extremely tasty and fresh. The place was quite full and very lively so the food was replenished quickly. There is a good selection of alternatives, pizza, salad etc if you don't fancy a 'curry'. Go with an open mind and be prepared to dig in!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

My family have been a fan of chinese buffet restaurants for quite some time now but I've been waiting for someone to open an Indian version. We discovered Aneesa's whilst looking for somewhere to celebrate my birthday. We were not disappointed, Aneesa's certainly lived up to the reviews I'd read here on Tripadvisors.

On entering the premises my first impression was of how vast the eating area is and how loud. The acoustics of the place amplify any sound which during busy times can be extremely loud, we found it difficult to hear ourselves speak.

The waitress was very attentive to our needs and explained how the buffet worked. Certain members of my family aren't lovers of Indian so it was a real treat to find somewhere that caters for the tastes of the whole family. My daughter who falls into this category managed to enjoy several plates of food. There are the usual curries, but only chicken or lamb versions, and then there are pizza's & stir fries together with an extensive salad bar. My son who loves Indian food did comment that he preferred to go to our regular Indian restaurant because there you can get seafood versions of the curry, and as a fellow lover of seafood,I had to agree with him on that point. My father was an very good Indian chef who specialised in Indian sweet making. Whilst I found the curries, especially those cooked on the bone to be on a par with my dad's cooking, I found the Indian desserts left a lot to be desired. Having said all that, I still think Aneesa's is unique, I thoroughly enjoyed my birthday meal, and will definately be returning.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm not usually a fan of buffet style restaurants. In my experience the food is never very good and looks like it's been sat there for days but on a recent visit to Newcastle we looking for somewhere to eat. After Googling 'best places to eat in Newcastle' we stumbled across a list of the 10 best places and Annesa's was one of the top and close to where we were. My hesitation in buffet-style food was blown away. The food was fresh, hot and delicious with a range to suit everyone. It's not all indian cuisine, they do chinese and even pizza to keep the kids happy. The quality of food, friendliness of the staff and cleanliness of the restaurant were all amazing. Being able to see the chefs cooking the food, checking temperatures and replacing food regularly (and not just when it was empty) was a pleasure to see. It's a good job we don't live closer or we'd move in there! Their reputation as one of the best places in Newcastle to eat is more than well deserved.

2  Thank ThePollardFamily