“Almost impossible to fault”

Aneesa's Buffet Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A buffet restaurant with a difference! An exceptional range of a la carte quality food available on the buffet for one set price.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you are a fan of Indian buffets, I don't think you will ever find anything to better this. Aneesa's is a large restaurant on Newcastle's quayside. Friendly staff from the start, who show you to your table in this spacious (but not in an impersonal way) restaurant. It's all quite informal but perfectly organised. Everything is spotlessly clean. Starters are in one area, mains in another and desserts again in a separate space. This is where it gets really good. The choice is fantastic. Just about every Indian starter you can think of, and every type of bread and sundries. (I counted 4 types of yogurt and mint sauce!) Chicken tikka was the best I have had anywhere. I am sure that a lot of people would just enjoy the starters and bypass the mains - but that would be a shame as there is an excellent selection of mains and side dishes to try too. (though not as much choice as the starter probably about 25 different mains (and plenty of vegetarian choice for my herbivore spouse) You can obviously just keep going back and trying things, and I'd recommend this rather than piling your plate high. The staff have no problem with taking away your plates. You just go and get another.They also do some chinese stuff which they stir fry while you watch, but to be honest it seemed a bit of an afterthought and not neccesary. Then there's the desserts. If you've read any of my other reviews you'll know I don't get very excited about desserts. What I would say about this place is I have never seen such a massive range. traditional Indian puds were available (including gajub-jamun, a personal favourite, and which was very good) but they also had gateaux, cheesecakes, profiteroles, ice cream, muffins, etc etc - you name it and they probably had it.
Best of all this place is incredibly good value - £13.99 is the most you will pay (plus drinks which I thought were also very reasonable) Kids eat for half price. (they also had a selection of kid friendly food - pizzas, chips etc if they really want that) Any negatives? I'm struggling to think of any - ok the onion bhaji's were a bit dry.I can't think of anything else, and I certainly won't drop my 'excellent' for that. A special mention should be made of the attentive and friendly staff. They seemed to really want you to enjoy the experience. Go try it - you'll see what I mean.

1  Thank Hedgehog344
Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

After being recommended this restaurant I was a little apprehensive considering it was a buffet however from the moment we stepped in and saw the food my concerns were laid to rest. Surprisingly for buffet food the dishes were hot (temperature) and extremely fresh and tasted as if each dish was individually made like you would find in your local curry house. The choice was fantastic and even the most fussiest of eater would be hard pressed to find something they were not keen on. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We thought we were going to Azzurri for an Italian meal but on arrival found that the restaurant has changed hands and is now Aneesa's buffet which is predominantly Indian food but with chinese and Pizzas available. We decided to try the buffet and were pleasantly surprised. A pleasant young lady greeted us and explained that many others had been caught out by the change but nevertheless she gave us a tour of the restaurant and explained everything that was available and then showed us to our table. There is a vast choice of starters and indian mains together with other options and an array of sweets. The food is plentiful and tasty and frequently replenished by one of the many members of staff on hand. Although initially not what we were looking for we enjoyed our meal. The restaurant is large and it was very busy on our visit which added to the atmosphere. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Recommended.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal here and for £14 a head it was great value for money. There was lots of choice of food - we stuck to the Indian food but there was also Chinese available and pizza/ chips. The Indian starters were delicious and there was quite a selection of desserts. The child in my husband particularly enjoyed the ice-cream machine and sweets! We left feeling full and happy.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Arrived to be greeted by lovely girl who took us to our table. She explained that there was no Happy Hour available as it was Eid (be aware, higher prices for religious holidays/bank holidays) .
The restaurant is spotlessly clean, the decoration is lovely and contemporary. The choice of Indian food is great and there is also enough plain food for the kids to eat (chips, pizza, nachos). There is also an area where you can get a stir fried made for you on the spot. Could have just went and only ate desserts as the choice is amazing. Waiting staff excellent at clearing tables and food replenished constantly. We will definitely return.