“The Steve Jobs of Pizza”
Review of Cal's Own - CLOSED

Cal's Own
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Restaurant/Take-Out
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The Steve Jobs of Pizza”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Cal's pizza is, BY FAR, the best pizza in Newcastle. It is, possibly, the best pizza in Britain.

As a native New Yorker born in Brooklyn I have been fortunate enough to eat a lot of fabulous pizza in my life. Cal's Own is right up and exceeds the standards of many New York pizza parlours.

Now, as noted, in some other reviews Cal is an intense person. You're not going to get, "Hi, my name is Cal and I'll be your server tonight. How's everyone doing? Can I get you something to drink. Let me recommend the House Margaritas which are infused with fresh Swedish gooseberries..."

Cal is intensely passionate about pizza and how it is made. Cal isn't running a business. Cal is running an art studio. He's chasing mastery; he's chasing perfection. He doesn't want be as good as the pizzerias in Brooklyn or Naples. He wants to exceed their high standards. Cal may well be the Steve Jobs of pizza. He may not be all warm & cuddly at times but if you want a world class culinary experience then you need to visit this temple of pizza.

I thank him for his fabulous food, for search for excellence and I wish him the very best of luck.

3 Thank NYCtoLiverpool

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“gorgeous food”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very happy that this has opened on Chilly Rd. The pizza is moist and very flavoursome. Two of us shared a calzone which can be a dry dull heavy meal. Here it was light and full of flavour and taste. Then we had Mississipi Mud Pie. I don't even like chocolate and yet loved this. Again very moist with distinctive flavours and very light. Mmm. Will definitely be back. Only slight downsides are the lighting which is bright. Maybe some lamps instead in the seating area?. Also for daytime I like magazines, papers etc about to browse. Just a pet thing of mine! Service was slow but we expected this. Lots of takeaways were going out which maybe impacted on service?

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Superb Pizza”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Superb authentic Italian pizza.

I used to live in Italy and love pizza. I am often disgusted by what so-called Italian restaurants serve up as pizza and am delighted that there is finally somewhere nearby I can go to get a good one.

The staff struggled to understand the concept of delaying putting my pizza in the oven for 5 minutes after I'd made my order so that it was hot when I arrived but once I got home and heated it up in the oven I was still delighted to get stuck in. I would highly reccommend the Italian sausage and red onion combo!

Not cheap but worth the extra few quid and incomparable to anything else you can pick up.

Tyneside
“The Best Pizza!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

After reading the excellent reviews for Cal's Own I couldn't wait to visit. We called at lunch time and ordered takeaway pizza's, they were prepared and ready within fifteen minutes! They are fantastic! I personally think the pizza's don't need any toppings added the beauty and taste is in the simplicity.

“Cals Own”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The restaurant had a few people when I arrived and it was a good mix... Pleasant surroundings and a nice ambience. The pizza was lush and the white pie (garlic bread) was a garlic bread never tasted before but a nice experience. The guys there were lovely and I would defo go again. Value for money... Definitely ... Top class