“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Bar One

Cafe Bar One
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Have eaten here on a number of occasions and been reasonably pleased as it is cheap and cheerful but this was my first visit for about 3 months and left promising I would not return.
We ordered from the "one pot" lunch special; I asked what the staff thought of the options but she admitted she didn't know but said they looked good. I took Spanish stew and my friend had mousaka. The portion could have been no more than 3 dessert spoonfuls with rice and a few broken tortilla chips which added little to the plate. My friend said his mousaka tasted a little like bread & butter pudding but not quite as sweet, again a very small portion. I accept that this is the economical option but if it has to be on the menu a few more grains of rice would transform the dish. I do hate to say this but it looked so miserly.
The noise level inside became unbearable when a group of 4 moved inside due to the rain; they practically sat screaming at one another and the payer in the group mentioned it and laughed about the fact while standing at the till behind me. When they raised the noise everyone else competed with them for dominance and I simply gave up. I should mention none was a child or a teenager but all "grown-ups" and there was no attempt by staff to control or manage this.
To finish we went outside to take coffee, an espresso and a filter, neither was consumed as it was too bitter; the machinery is in deperate need of a proper cleaning to eliminate the contamination.
Cost...just short of £18.00, not a fortune but for the first time in ages I felt I had paid far too much for so little with an abundance of aggravation thrown in.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gerry m

Leicester
“Excellent friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were in Newcastle for a couple of sunny days, and called in on Sunday morning on our way to Jesmond Dene, which is just around the corner. We got a very friendly welcome, sat outside in brilliant weather. It was late morning, and we availed ourselves of their Special Offer of a Breakfast Platter for 2, for £10, including all the tea or coffee you could drink. It started with porridge with fruit and nuts, which was very nice, then plates of bacon, sausages, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding, fried eggs, baked beans and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Absolutely delicious, and excellent value for money.

We went back there the following day, and I had a regular "Full English" breakfast whilst my wife had something lighter. These were also served piping hot, and with very friendly and efficient service.

We did call in on the way back down south on the following Friday morning, but, sadly, they were closed. All in all, an excellent cafe which I heartily recommend.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Roy_of_Leicester
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
“Cafe bar none!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Great cafe which we got to every week. Superb vegetarian choice and staff always friendly but the place itself a little grubby. They did close some time back for redecoration but still very shoddy . Walls need a good luck of paint and that window seat taken out

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Lovely little cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

This is a great place to grab lunch or just a coffee and cake. There's a standard menu with some good sandwiches and jacket potatoes (which are well cooked). As well as a good selection of different and interesting specials each day which is another reason this is a good place to try. The staff are always friendly and the relaxed, but efficient service means your visit is enjoyable. All this means we go regularly.

• Visited June 2012