“Nice but overpriced”
Review of Coast to Coast - CLOSED

Coast to Coast
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Coast to Coast restaurant and cocktail bar offers authentic American food from East to West Coast USA. A great place to eat in for any occasion, the food is good, the vibe is upbeat and the service second to none.
“Nice but overpriced”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Being Valentine's day when we visited, we were expecting not to get a table and never planned in where we were going, just decided to try this place as it was new and, being american, fancied some pulled pork and ribs.

We got seated straight away after being greeted by friendly staff designating tables. Although our table was in close proximity to two others, it wasn't too bad. The table wasn't very big but was enough for the two of us.

We both ordered starters, she got garlic bread and was asked if she wanted cheese with it (this is at no extra cost) so decided on that. I got calamari which was very nice but the bucket it was served in was lined with newspaper making the bucket deceiving, as it wasn't full. The garlic bread with cheese was delicious with a bowl of garlic butter on the side.

She ordered the pulled pork wrap as her main (as the fajita cost £6 more but is practically the same thing!) and got hers with straw fries. Her only complaint was the bbq sauce was a bit strong and sickly for her liking, so she couldn't finish the wrap.

I got the bbq ribs which, although they were slightly smaller than expected, were full of flavour and dropped off the bone, as you'd expect from a through-and-through bbq place. I ordered mine with the sweet potato fries, which were beautiful and great with the 3 dips of bbq, spicy tomato and garlic mayo sauce.

We both got one pint each, hers carling, mine peroni. They were both a bit flat for my liking, but still went down well!

I was surprised that our bill came to £46 (£50 when we left a tip). However, you could tell straight away from looking at the menu that it was going to be costly.

The service was brilliant. We were always asked if everything was okay and if they could get us anything else. They were spread thin with it being real busy due to valentine's day, but it didn't show.

If you want a nice meal that isn't too costly, head here during their specials times (ie lunchtime special 1pm-5pm). The choice may be a bit less, but whatever you get, you can count on it being cooked to perfection.

“Over priced and a bit all over the place.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Late afternoon after a long shopping trip with my girlfriend, we decided a few drinks and a bite to eat was needed. We headed up into the gate for a mosey around to see if anything took out fancy. Realising that this new place was open, we thought it would suit our bill - seemingly American diner theme, nothing too fancy as we weren't exactly dressed in our best. On entering we were pounced on by a very egocentric host who piped out quite cheesey comments and one liners which werent really at all necessary and were quite frankly embarrassing...after taking a seat in the bar area where we were to wait for our table, and being told we had to try the cocktails as they were 'the best in town and to die for', which is some claim considering the likes of popolos and alvinos near by. They were about £6 a shot which is fare enough if they were as good as he claimed - which they weren't. Mine was a martini glass basically filled with cinnamon which was repulsive (trying to pass as an appletini) and my girlfriends some kind of rocket lolly vodka thing which again was some vodka over ice and a couple of juices poured in - nowt impressive there.
The bar staff didn't really seem to have a clue what they were doing either which is always bad to see, between the 2 of them they were dithering around looking for things and talking and laughing when they should have just been focusing on what drinks they had to make, and clearing the growing queue at the bar. I will hold this alot down to the management which was kind of all over the place...when we finally got seated (near the kitchen pass) it seemed 1 manager was directing food from the pass to servers which isn't needed at all but was refusing to take any out herself, she was kind of pointless. Another manager, suited and booted was stalking about not really with any purpose it seemed, he wasn't talking to customers or relaying information with staff and even ignored several times the massive orders of drinks waiting to go out to tables from the bar ( no one crossed roles at all even if they weren't doing anything in their section and stuff in other areas needed doing!!) Simple things could easily have been done to make the running of things better if the managers had a clue what they were doing. The floor was filled with staff when more needed to be on the bar, and there wasn't any kind of communication between anyone so it was just a bit chaotic. Our food was of a good standard though, fresh ingredients, hot and tasty. Though I feel again, quite over priced for what it was. The general ambience of the place would of been good had I been able to relax and enjoy it. As a manager in the same business myself it's hard not to be critical, but I am easily pleased with good service in general.
A few changes and this place could be great and I would go back. They have the kitchen side spot on, desperately need to sort out their cocktails though, utilise their staff better, probably get more experienced and clued up management and possibly not have such an in your face host, which was uncomfortable and embarrassing!!

Newcastle
“Lush waitress, loved the food!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Went last night with the Mrs and it was absolutely rammed in the gate, which put us off getting a meal at first but we ended up having a great night! The girl at the front who sat us was really canny and the other staff were friendly too. A lass called Cerys was our waitress and even though it was really busy, she kept asking us if we were alright and was really chatty and bubbly, which made our day. The other girl who brought our drinks (blonde) was nice too. My girlfriend loved her burger (which I got told off for picking at) The jelly beans were mint as well! Had a mint visit, won’t be our last!

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Very overpriced!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The staff were very friendly and quite efficient. The food was of decent quality (similar in style to Frankie and bennies) however the prices were extremely high and were not reflected in the quality of the food. To sum this restaurant up I would say it was acceptable quality but vastly overpriced! I will not be returning.

Newcastle
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

i visited on the 5th for dinner with my wife before the cinema, this being our second visit, the place looks great and there was a slight wait for a table which we didn't mind and sat in the bar. my wife was excited as they sold glass bottles of coke - great start! the barman was great and friendly, we were taken to our seats and served by a sweet girl called kerris although im pretty sure we spoke to everyone at least once!! and all very pleasant, i ordered a calzone and my wife ordered the chicken fajita, our food came and fajitas looked brilliant and my calzone was nice too. a lady i presume was the manager asked how my food was and she was lovely - nice touch. the place was heaving but it didnt seem to effect them good restaurant good service good visit. certainly be back again!