“Food, Service ”

Istanbul Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #204 of 1,314 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Here at the Istanbul Restaurant, cooking is our passion.We use only the finest and freshest ingredents to create Mediterranean dishes that will fill your belly and warm your heart. After experience your taste buds will Thank You :-)
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Super food, service on top. Liked too much!!! Nice Wirking collective. Most popular food Lamb shish. It is best there!!

3  Thank Ravan H

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I visited Istanbul cafe with a friend on a saturday afternoon after hearing great things.

The food was really good and for the price you couldn't fault it. We had two starters, two mains and a soft drink which came to £23. The portion sizes are big and neither of us could finish our meals.

Only the decor lets this place down if it was updated it could be so much better.

3  Thank Terri W
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I went to Istanbu Cafe & Bistro with a friend 3 weeks ago for the first time.

The decor leaves a lot to be desired BUT abroad the best food often comes from budget venues so we decided to risk it. The waitor was helpful, the food was good AND cheap. I loved it.

Mistake!

I'd loved it so much that I booked a table for my boyfriends birthday yesterday.

We went in and the place was freezing. We ordered and the wrong starter was delivered. Eventually the correct starter came. The felafel and halloumi were OK but the other meze starters were bland and tasteless.

Our maincourses were nothing special. My boyfriend had the meal on the picture on here, a ring kebab covered in tomato sauce. I had lamb shish. Mine was OK. The rice was poor quality but ok. My boyfriends food was almost totally cold.

We sent his food back. At which point the waitor came over in a none too friendly manner to ask what was wrong. Cold food.

By the time his meal came back, hot, I had finished eating.

Not going back again. It may be cheap but it ruined a birthday night out.

3  Thank Joanna E
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Decided to visit this recently opened Turkish restaurant to sample one of our favourite cuisines and although it was acceptable it certainly didn’t inspire, we have had much better elsewhere.
The venue itself is situated above a shop in central Newcastle and is spread over 3 floors which is not ideal especially when the entrance, hall and stairs have been covered in budget laminate which on the night we visited was treacherous due to it being wet from the rain.
The main part of the restaurant which is very small and compact (too many tables crammed in) has the benefit of an open kitchen which to be fair is always a good sign in my book. However, it also enabled me to see a Czech chef constantly picking up food whilst she was preparing it and stuffing her face. If I didn’t know better I would say she hadn’t eaten for a week!
We ordered the soup which was excellent, followed by several mezzes which were palatable but didn’t particularly inspire but we were disappointed with the bread they served - it was stale French sticks cut into chunks. The main courses didn’t do much for us either, we had lamb kofte which was served with luke warm rice and a bit of salad plus a chicken sote which to be was average. We finished with sutlac (sort of a milky rice pudding) was the best part of the meal by far.
Based on first impressions, the place seems to be geared towards Muslim students in Newcastle rather than the wider public and will undoubtedly appeal to that market sector given that the venue has a small prayer room, the food is halal, they don’t serve alcohol and they will not allow diners to bring their own.
Personally, I wish them every success, but I won’t be returning in a hurry, not unless there is a big improvement in the food they serve!

2  Thank toonwanderer
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I love turkish cusine... the best one I had is in London at Gokuzu. But this restaurant is outstanding. In terms of the quality it is the best at the value. The portion was sufficient for me. I just happened to see this place and ended up having a full meal. On my way back to london I read about this place and I was surprised with the reviews. They really need to market themselves. Turkish cuisine is really beautiful.

3  Thank SaurabhSal