“warm welcome on a cold day”

Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Traditional cafe and ice cream parlour, run by the Marcantonio family, who have been making ice cream in Newcastle since 1892. Handmade ice creams and sorbets, plus fresh, home-cooked food from breakfasts to early evening meals, delicious coffees, sandwiches and cakes.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

After shopping on a freezing cold day in Newcastle last week,my friend and I went into Mark Toney's in Grainger Street. Usually we have a sandwich and a coffee but we needed warming up, so we chose soup from their extensive menu. We weren't disappointed - it was hot and delicious - and great value - just what we needed after trudging round in the snow .
Then, as I can't resist a dessert, I had a slice of apple pie with of course some of Mark Toney's famous ice cream. My friend is counting calories so she settled for a large cup of black coffee.
Needless to say we were reluctant to go out of such a warm atmosphere into the cold again. We always visit Grainger Street when we are shopping in Newcastle. I have never written a review before but It hought that the warm friendly service we had and the excellent food deserved a mention.

P&A Ryton

Anne M, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for your review and your kind comments, your soup and apple pie were both made fresh in our cafe by our lovely staff, so they are really pleased that you enjoyed your visit, and look forward to welcoming you again.

There are newer reviews for Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went here to look for an alternative place to have our breakfast. We saw the sign outside and thought we would give it a try.

When my partner asked if he could have extra mushrooms in place of black pudding he was abruptly told in an off tone that no he couldn't as black pudding is optional. (This was not advertised anywhere).

The place doesn't have the cleanest look about it. The breakfast was served and the sausages were like cinder, the toast like cardboard and it had a used fat taste about it.

The only plus I can give this is the woman who brought the breakfast as she was helpful despite not paying attention to the lack of cutlery which we had to ask for.

We won't go back but Always like to share experiences if it helps people decide where to go.

Anne M, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that you had a disappointing experience, as we always try to look after our customers, but on this occasion we have obviously let ourselves down. You will be pleased to know that since you left your review we have carried out further training in customer service with the staff concerned, and we have also simplified the breakfasts so that our staff are no longer confused about what they can offer. You were right to complain about the treatment you received, but I’m afraid I must take issue with you re your comment on cleanliness - we are very proud of our 5 star Scores on the Doors rating, and we take great care to keep our standards high. You unfortunately may have found the place to be a little untidy, as we are very busy at breakfast time, but this would have been a temporary state of affairs. I apologise again for your poorly handled welcome, and I would like to reassure you that if you were to give us another try, I am sure you would have a much better experience.
Best wishes,
Anne Marcantonio

Reviewed September 1, 2012

visited today with our little girl and her best friend and it was just wonderful, lovely ambience, attentive service, nothing was too much trouble - we both used to visit mark toney as children and it was just lovely taking oor own little girl to do the same. Pick of the visit - absolutely fabulous knicker bocker glories, can't wait to go back and will do so soon, thankyou

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We visited yesterday with 2 kids using the Living Social voucher and were very impressed indeed. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was superb. It was unbelievably good value for money and we really didn't expect full size sundaes after our meal.... but managed to polish them off nevertheless! The children are already asking when we can go back and i'm sure we'll visit again soon as the 8pm late opening is very convenient and it's easy to bsee why it's been established 50 years!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have not been to the Grainger Street ice cream parlour of Mark Toney's for many, many years and it has not changed one bit. There is lots of room on the ground floor and more room downstairs. We were attracted by the special offer of two ice cream dishes for the price of one in the local paper. My wife and I both chose Chocolate and nut sundae for £3.99. It came with everything you could imagine, ice cream, pieces of chocolate, nuts, squirrty cream and a little umbrella on the top. Absolutely delicious and it must have been a zillion calories. I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant as the ambience was excellent and the special deals seemed well worth the money.

1  Thank ashers2206
Lakesnmountains, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for coming back to see us, and for your kind recommendation. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your ice creams (and we promise they are not quite a zillion calories!) We hope you will not wait too long before visiting us again, now that you’ve rediscovered us – we have lots more ice cream sundaes to take you back down Memory Lane!
Best wishes,