“Rushed and harassed”

The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle. We look forward to providing you with a wonderful spa experience whether it be to relax, rejuvenate or invigorate. View our website for our varied and complete treatment menu. Please sign up for our daily Newsletter for the latest information on our seasonal and themed treatments for girls groups, men only and lots more. Signing up will ensure you have all the latest info on treatments, prices and offers. You will find a Newsletter pop-up subscription form as soon as you visit our website.
Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rushed and harassed”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

A friend arranged this visit with the promise of 2 treatments with use if spa facilities. On arrival we struggled to find any signs to the Spa only the gym so finally after venturing down the gym corridor we spotted a lone Elemis sign at the end. When we arrived we were greeted I use the term lightly however as upon giving the reservation name we were told that we were late for our treatment and glared at. ( we were 2 mins late ) we were then thrust forms to complete and had to do this standing in the lobby as other spa users were also doing the same In The tiny waiting corridor. At no time when we booked were we advised to arrive early for our session to complete paperwork. We were then literally shooed still completing forms through a busy gym area and shoved into a small room and advised to get changed for our treatments. It was almost laughable the room had two massage beds with barely room to squeeze between them. Clothes had to be hung behind one
Of the beds and the door. Hastily completing the forms we then went about changing. Mid this one therapist opened the door bearing in mind the room opened straight into the gym area it was rather unacceptable. We hurriedly got undercover and the "therapists" returned. At no point did they read our forms or check for physical problems or allergies. We were advised our 2 treatments would be. 30 minute back massages each. We had been led to believe we had booked for 2 treatments each but were advised otherwise. Our treatments began and it was fairly obvious that the staff were busy trying to hold a mouthed conversation as at times the massage part was poor as they were distracted in their important conversation. There was a lot of use of elbows and little effective other massage techniques. Once our treatment was done we were invited to dress. On checking the clock we had received 15 mins of massage and once again mid dress the door was opened.During the massage the noise and talking from the gym was intrusive and the music in the room did little to mask the activity that was occurring outside. At all times we felt rushed and harassed and this was most certainly not the relaxing and pleasant experience we had hoped for. We were given no information about the option of using the spa facilities and when we asked were told that the dressing gowns would be £6. On peering into the pool area which was visible to all gym users it appeared cramped and busy. We were ushered out and left to pay at the till. It was only because the credit card machine would not work that were were told about the "chill out" area which was a small curtained off area in the main business lobby with some sofas and a jug of water and cold fruit tea. Have to admit the view was stunning however. The only good thing was that we were given some 25% off vouchers for 1 drink/meal in the hotel. This is not a professionally operated Spa and the emphasis is less on quality and more on quantity. I would never recommend it or go again. The facilities at the Holiday Inn at Seaton Burn may not be as attractive in many ways but the massage and service from the spa at Beauty with inn is infinitely superior and more welcoming and better value for money.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank fledermaus2u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Newcastle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Booking phone line is dreadful”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this spa a few times - always using Groupon or Livingsocial offering around 50% discount on their normal prices. With this in mind it is easier to overlook the shortcomings already described in other reviews... The skill of the therapists vary a lot from very poor to very good. It really depends who you end up with.
Recently they have centralised their booking line, half of the time it is engaged or you get an answer phone - however nobody calls back! I have tried 4 times to make a booking over the course of a week and only got to speak to a real person ONCE - however when I tried to request my
therapist he told me to call the spa direct - I called the number he gave me, explained my issue and..... got put straight back through to the booking line! I ended up talking to the same man who promised to email the manager at the spa and 2 days later I am still waiting for a response... I tried to call again and got an answer phone yet again and left another message.... I am seriously disappointed with the service and don't think I will be using the Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle again.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Christine810
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Saddened by 'spa'”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

As usual the spa, a massive money maker for most hotels, is a neglected, lazy add-on.

Its awful to find in the hotel, poorly signed and layed out. Terribly small and masively over shadowed by the gym.

I cannot imagine having a spa day here. Luckily my partner and I had only the evening for some time in the facilities and a treatment as a gift to him.

Facilities are that of a shabby leisure centre with a very small pool and very little atmosphere. The changing rooms were beyond run down.

What I found most disapointing and actually quite disrespectful to clients is the treatments rooms we were given. The treatments rooms were very small, some how 2 beds had been squeezed into mine and the rooms lined the walls of the gym. All I could hear during an hour's treatment was talking, machines, music and even football scores!! :( I felt bad for my therepist having to work in such inadequate and undermining conditions all day.

My therapist was very hard working, skilled and trained. My swedish masage was fascinating and very effective. It's just a shame she had very little chat, didnt offer me much pre and post consultation so I didnt get her name. However, she seemed to have run out of my skin type's moisturiser so I left my mini facial with extremely dry skin for the night.

I feel bad for the staff at Ocean Rooms spa at the Hilton Newcastle and wont be suggesting it to anyone as a day out.

Visited October 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not a SPA”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Went to this spa as a birthday treat, paid for by my best friend and I feel bad for moaning, but it was not a spa. At best it is a sauna, small pool and a steam room attached to an inner city gym. There are children having swimming lessons, competitive dads and gym bunnies parading about the place, in and out of the "relaxation area" (half a dozen sunbeds scattered about the pool).

There is no atmosphere and very poor customer service (the water fountain wasn’t working and when we asked for some water, we simply got told that it was working and were given an unwashed plastic beaker - between two!). We were promised robes, slippers and herbal/floral tea. We didn’t get any of these.

The treatment (full body massage) was okay and the young lady was the most courteous out of all the staff I encountered, but it was nothing special. The products didn’t seem to be good quality – i.e. what they put in the shiny cabinets and what they use on you aren’t necessarily the same thing!

My honest opinion is that if you just want the treatment then you may be okay, but if you want the relaxing, pampering spa experience then go somewhere else, or you will not only feel disappointed, but be made to feel a little silly as well.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Homeandaway77
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Spa day at the ocean rooms spa”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Have to say had a fab morning at the ocean rooms spa. Having had a few problems booking I wasnt too convienced I would enjoy the experience, but the staff were great when we arrived. The option was a 1 hour treatment or 2 30 min treatments. I had 2 30 min treatments and felt totally relaxed afterwards. The pool, sauna and steam rooms were great not too many people in so it made the whole experience very relaxing. Would certainly return.

Visited August 2013