“Great atmosphere, average food”
Review of Northside Diner

Northside Diner
Ranked #737 of 1,303 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've eaten here a few times and never been disappointed. Their shakes are really nice however a little pricy but I find their food to be reasonably priced. You get good portion sizes and I've never been disappointed with my food. Friends I've been with however, haven't been as pleased. The New York pasta is great! I love the fact they've got a jukebox. The music they play is brilliant and really sets the mood. The toilets could do with a good going over and making them a bit nicer but they're adequate. Would go back purely because I love the feel of the place. Staff are friendly and polite, service is okay, food is nice and price is reasonable.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Visited recently for 'breakfast'. Had coffee and pancakes with maple syrup. Food okay but nothing to write home about. promised free refills on coffee but waitress never reappeared and eventually we paid bill and left. This was despite us being one of only 2 couples in the place.
Tried this place before at a busy lunchtime. Had starter then waited 20 mins to be brought menus again. Decided not to bother with next course. Decor and music good but music a bit loud (or is it me geting old). Won't be back. Expensive food menu for what ammounts to burgers/hotdogs and fries.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited the diner yesterday for the second time, we were shown to our table straight away by a friendly staff member who took our drinks order immediately. The drinks took a while to come, but the restaurant was fairly busy. I ordered the spicy veggie burger and my fiancé ordered the new yorker, they didn't take too long to come and both were nice, fresh salad, nice buns on the burgers and a mountain of fries. Unfortunately the fries appeared to be bog standard cheap frozen fries like you could buy in the supermarket. The bill came to just over £20 for the two of us, including a drink each, not the cheapest but not bad. Staff were very friendly.

1  Thank KG91
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Being of Canadian background, I had wanted to visit this cafe for a taste of home. The first impressions are great, with fun decor, good music and nice staff. The booth we were seated in looked spotless and the table gleamed. Then I leaned forward and stuck to the 3 inch metal rim that winds around the table. (You need to clean all of the table, not just the top.)

I order the corn chowder and bread roll with a side of cilantro salad, which I was assured was cole slaw. My husband ordered the cheese burger and fries. Though the prices were high, we figured it would be worth it.

We were served our drinks as we waited. If anyone knows anything about chowder, you will know it is a thick, hearty soup with chunks in it. I received what would best be described as a packet soup,as there were granuals in the bottom of the watery mixture. More of a broth with milk than anything resembling chowder. The bread roll, was one of the same buns they use for the burgers, and it was dry and partially stale, with no butter or margarine offered. The cilantro salad was as though someone had served me a ramekin of salad cream and tossed in some large chunks of cabbage as an afterthought.

My husband's burger was small and on the same dry bun I received. On the side were a handful of chips, no garnish and nothing at all to warrant a price tag of £7.95. If I we had paid 5 quid for it, it would have been overpriced.

When one of the servers came by to ask if everything was okay, my husband asked for some butter for the dry bread. What we got was the manager bringing a new bun to me, claiming it was fresh, but it wasn't. Still no butter.

All in all, the taste of the small burger pattie was very good, and the taste of the powdered corn not-chowder soup was nice. We left the mayo salad and the buns and will never return.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We ate here for this year's NE1 Restaurant Week and got the 2 dine for £15 deal. There were no burgers or hotdogs I fancied so the owner happily did me an omelette as my share of the deal instead. Really accommodating place. Great decor. Bit of an odd location (in a toy department of a huge department store) but who cares when the food is sooooo good :) Been a few times before, grab a Root Beer or a milkshake for the real deal.