“Brilliant concept, delicious food and friendly staff!”

Tenji Japanese Buffet Restaurant
Ranked #854 of 1,265 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Brilliant concept, delicious food and friendly staff!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Having passed this restaurant a number of times we decided to go for a Saturday afternoon lunchtime meal. For little over £10 there is an all-you-can-eat option which includes sushi salads, soups, various pan-Asian hot food items as well as some specialty grill items which are prepared at your request. Not only this but there is an all you can drink option encompassing a wide range of beers and wines all for only £5!!!
Although the sushi was perhaps not the best I've ever had it was still very tasty and prepared with care. I found the food here very interesting and delicious. The staff were extremely friendly and allowed us to stay a little over the allotted time.
After the main course there was a wide range of deserts which were equally delicious. All in all I will certainly be visiting Tenji again!

1 Thank davemaca1

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I visited this restaurant last December and I was bowled over at how good it was. The variety of seafood (including scallopes and oysters) was amazing. However I have just been with some work colleagues and I don't know wether it has been taken over by someone else but it in nothing like it was.

I was amazes that they are still charging the same amount for what has to be described as sub standard. The variety of sushi was appalling with half empty plates

Really disappointed, and definitely won't be going back

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lovelyjubbl
“Good value for money”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've visited tenji a few times now , and it is quite hit and miss, they do have a large choice but , most of the hot food is poor, the sushi is nice and the prawns are ok if fresh , everything else is so so , tenji has dropped in quality since inception but its still just good enough to get by

• Visited June 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Sushi and Sashimi”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I’ve been meaning to give Tenji a try for ages but had never got round to it. It’s in a funny location in that they don’t get much passing trade and most businesses that have occupied that site haven’t lasted long at all. Tenji has though and after eating there yesterday I can see why.

Staff were friendly and welcoming and attentive throughout and the range of food was excellent.

The sushi and sashimi selection was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented and the hot dishes were also great. Of particular note were the spicy aubergine and the pork belly, but everything we had was really tasty.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Cooking_with_Capers
Newcastle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Foul foul foul”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Tenjis restaurant - it was my first and last visit. It was absolutely filthy. Only one of the waitresse was nice and the rest were not very welcoming, the service was poor, the food was not of a good quality. I found an eyelash in my food, and the foods were not labeled properly so I didn't even know what I was really eating. My table was filthy like someone had smeared mud all over the legs of the tables. And it was not just my table,it was the ones next ti it also. I sat in the sushi area and the carpet looked like it was not hoovered in years, the tables looked like it had not been cleaned for months. And when I complained the manager was not very nice or sympathetic and just made up pathetic excuses. Please ppl do not come here because you will just end up wasting your money. Go to aneesas because that's the best buffet in town. I am not even going to rate this out of five because it was wrong on all levels.
Whoever says this is a fab restaurant clearly don't know or haven't seen what I saw. It was terrible.

Visited September 2013