“Avoid, avoid, avoid....”

Newcastle Rooms
London
“Avoid, avoid, avoid....”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The scenic, aged characteristic old building in this photo is highly misleading to potential guests. This place is not located in scenic grounds and pleasant location - as it appears here; it is located in a run down part of suburban Newcastle (Benwell) with ferrel kids not far away kicking balls at night and a row of cheap junk food-to-go outlets to feast on - and nothing else resembling a restaurant or dine in eatery, which is necessary if you arrive later in the evening starving realising there is no in-hotel restaurant either. The Indian receptionist was remiss when I checked in and insisted on taking a photo copy of my driving licence because, he explained, they'd had trouble with other guests involving the police. This filled me with dread about how well my car would be looked after at night and my room contents in my absence. I flatly refused to oblige because I saw no need for it in my case when I had already paid for the room online. I paid to stay in advance for two nights in a single en-suite room for £55. The room - although clean enough, was tiny and run down with heavy blue curtains that wouldn't open, an aged, cheap wardrobe and cheap coffee table. There was no desk, no TV with a signal that worked - rendering it useless. Even the wireless connection gave out no signal. Thankfully my phone had GPS to use with my laptop otherwise I would have had no entertainment at all. The bed, although clean, was lumpy and covered with a 'Brentford Nylons' duvet that felt slippery and clammy. The bathroom - again run down - had a decent sized sink and a good shower suite that worked well. Breakfast was a big miss: it was offered in an enormous room with big brown heavy unlaid out oblong tables and chairs. Food choices were limited and cheap quality: just instant coffee paper sachets to open to add hot water to. Bread products comprised packeted or pre-frozen damp squashed croissants that tasted inedible without being microwaved first to revive them from their stale unheated state. Bread slices was white (no brown choices at all) and no rolls. There was packet cereal if you wanted it but no fruit, just concentrated juice. There was a big TV to watch. The only good thing about this place was the price, the free parking and convenient public transport nearby into town (10 mins by bus). The price reflecting the quality but, frankly I have stayed in a lot better for a similar price. I would describe the NRs as a cheap hostel. Shame I had nothing better to say because the build exterior has such character and still has a lot of potential in the right hands.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wouldnt go back in a million years, i advice anyone looking at this place to stop and think again. The rooms are tiny and filthy with cobwebs and insects, three single beds all crammed together in the smallest space ever, the shared toilet smelt of urine and poo, the tiles were disgusting staff very unhelpful and got our reservations wrong when we turned up, overall experience was shocking and terrible never book here!!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have been fortunate enough to have never had to sleep in a squat, but the Newcastle Room gave me a 2 night taster. The room did have two black sheeted beds with covers but that was where the luxury ended. Forget about a private toilet or shower - 3 toilets and 2 showers for about 20 others who didn't read Tripadvisor before booking. The shower was like a water cannon so soaked everything within range (towel, clothes) as no shower door. The continental breakfast was a loaf of white bread, a stale mini-croissant and some pre-packaged pan-au chocolat - I suspect our continental cousins would be disappointed.

They took a £20 deposit from each pair sharing a room in my 10 man party - fair enough. However when it came to returning the deposit, they wanted to give back as one lump sum once everyone had checked out. This a) makes no sense as we are 10 individual humans paired into rooms responsible for each room separately b) didn't work as some lads were checking out later and we wanted our £20 when we left the room intact, no damage etc. It seemed an attempt to get an extra £20 for each rooms but after a long, tedious discussion, they eventually, begrudgingly, gave our money back.

Now I am not precious, and do not require 3, 4 or 5 star accommodation to be satisfied and acknowledge that generally in life you get what you pay for. But this place is worse than any £5 a night hostel I have stayed in (incl S America and Asia). Just see the other reviews to get a flavour - it is sh1t. In summary, if your idea of a plush place to stay would be a prison cell as you live in a squat then this place will seem like a 1 or 2 star at best. My advice, save your money and sleep in a bus shelter.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Do not be fooled by the photographs of this place - it is absolutely AWFUL. The staff are incredibly rude and unhelpful, the rooms are dank, tired and dirty - complete with suspiciously stained bedsheets - the shared toilet stank of urine, as did the shared shower, there were a load of drunken stag and hen parties running riot around the place and the area.... well, if you like drunken crack heads rolling around shoeless on the pavement - this is the place for you. All in all a terrible experience. I cried it the toilet after spending 15 minutes in the building and my boyfriend and I decided to leave. It was the best decision we could have made.

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

On our arrival (5pm) we were told our room still wasn't ready. Bit out of order as check in was supposed to be from 3pm! We were offered complimentary breakfast which was awful. Beware of the area this place is in (apparently roughest area in Newcastle). We were told only a few days before our stay someone was stabbed just a few hundred yards from Newcastle rooms which wasn't pleasant news.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Diddy_82
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Nice little place, (converted church I remember from childhood) out of the way a bit in the suburb of Benwell, 300 yards from where I was born and less than 2 miles from my elderly mother, so excellent location for me. Just a couple of miles down the nearby West Road to city centre.
The rooms were adequate - lots of HOT water - eat as much as you like Continental breakfast and bacon sandwich shop close by for the really hungry.
Staff very good apart from one who preferred to watch and Indian film on TV, and room a touch shabby but hey, what can you expect for less than £25?
Will definitely stay there again- great place, quiet and pleasant. Nt 5 star, but price dictates a return visit for certain.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness centre, but then look at the price! Don't understand the negative r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was sceptical at first due to the low prices, however, looking at photos which showed the hostel in the best light, thought I would risk it. On arrival we entered the reception only to be completely blanked by a rude member of staff behind the counter, who was obviously in the middle of something far more import than greeting us. After a series of one word answers he issued us our room key and put the money we paid not into the till but straight into his pocket, I guess this is the norm. Entering the room the door handle was broken, which is probably why later a drunk lout thought he could enter at 3am. The day after arriving home we found that they had taken an extra £100 pound out of the account that we made the initial booking on. They informed us that it was because of a noise complaint (about other people) so they had refunded the guests who made the complaint and taken the money out of our account. After spending many hours trying to dispute this only to be constantly told that the manager is out and to call back later, we went to booking.com who were able to recover the money wrongfully stolen from us. In a nut shell a bit of a circus. Avoid!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends