“Memo to self--check Trip advisor first!”

Fat Buddha Asian Bar and Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Fat Buddha Asian Bar and Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #215 of 1,281 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Chinese, Korean, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Finest Pan-Asian Cuisine Served, Seven Nights a Week, in a Two Floor Venue inside Newcastle's Historic Central Arcade at 55 Degrees North.
Newcastle-on Tyne
“Memo to self--check Trip advisor first!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Wish I had visted this site prior to our visit ! Our experiance this week mirrored a lot of the negative reviews recently posted. We had a nice evening last year to celebrate a family birthday with food, service etc all fine, so decided to return for another family member birthday this week. Most of food was good however like many others we found the service to be very poor, even though restaurant did not appear to be especially busy.
Round of drinks did not arrive, waiter had to asked after around a 20-30 minute wait.
Some starter dishes did not arrive, although waiter was reminded of this we were still charged in final bill. (Removed when challenged)
Desserts did not arrive, again after around 20-30 minutes we reminded waiter, they then quickly arrived----still half frozen and virtually unedible.

We also noticed the "Grey Suit" individual, if he is indeed part of mangement he did nothing to engage with customers or support staff. I initially assumed our waiter was new to the industry as so many mistakes were made, and on this basis I e-mailed the Fat Buddah the following day to highlight concerns. I prefer to give company's the opportunity to address complaints without public reviews, however I have not received any knowledgement from Fat Buddah although all my contact details were left. After reading several reviews it is obvious they are not interested in customer experiance or feedback. The lack of any repsonse to tripadvisor comments confirms this. They are also alienting members of the public they claim to be be encouraging. The size and set up appears to target large groups and yet Graduates and hen groups etc have been treated poorly. As these are generally young people they have lost a lot of customers of tomorrow. Bad news travels fast!! With many excellent restaurants in Newcastle, Fat Buddah seems to be heading for the fate of all its predecessors on that site.

1 Thank CEC11_11

Brisbane, Australia
“Great service and food range”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

A great place to stop for some yummy food and cocktails. I recommend the Bali huts out the front for some good people watching. Great service, the Bar man made me a cocktail that wasn't on the menu and was happy to do it. Food was also lovely, tapas style Asian food means you can try a few different things at a good price

• Visited July 2013
“Worst dining experience of my life”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

So after a friends graduation, we booked a table for 12 at fat buddah, after hearing such good reviews from friends, I was excited to try the place out.

Wow. I completely agree with the review below... From the moment we walked in, myself and my party felt uncomfortable and as if we were just more numbers filling the restaurants as opposed to paying customers. On such a lovely hot day, we simply asked if we could sit in the huts outside to which an extremely rude and abrupt manager in a grey suit retorted "no, it's graduation, I have over 200 booked this evening" brilliant, fantastic for you and your company, however that just makes us feel like you dont give a crap! Claiming he did not have the staff on to cover both outside and inside? Which is fine, I mean I work in the hospitality industry myself and understand that you cant accompdate everyones requests all of the time, but straight off, that rude response made us feel like it was either just too much effort for them for us to sit outside or that we were not trusted to sit outside as we were a bunch of students!! There were 100 other ways he could of gone about it and we would of thought nothing of it, but he could not care less. He just wanted us seated quick so we could eat, pay and leave quick. Which is NOT how you want to feel in any restaurant, let alone your graduation meal. We had older family member guests with us, who we had brought and to be treat with such arrogance the minute we walked in made us feel wholly unwelcome.

We were looking for a special night at a special restaurant, however the impression and the attitude we received suggested that we were not going to find that here.

We were then ushered up to the restaurant upstairs, walked through a relatively busy, but nice and cool restaurant to be shown to a dingy little room, with no air con, dim lighting, with menus shoved in front of us. It was so hot I was so overwhelmed by the menu, I genuinely did not feel like eating. Some of the other party members didn't even bother ordering anything as they had completely lost their appetite! Wine got served to us in warm coolers, in dirty glasses, but we had not the effort or chance to complain.

We had service from both a young male and female, the female was lovely and did well with all 12 of us, hot, a bit miffed and as it was after graduation, a bit drunk! The guy who took our order was an absolute nightmare, there was so much confusion and difficulty ordering our set menu's, I honestly gave up. I felt like paying for the drinks and leaving there and then.

My experience of fat buddah left nothing but a sour taste in my mouths and they have the pompous manager guy in a grey suit to thank for that. Thanks for making our special graduation meal, so 'special'. Extremely shocking service considering our bill came to almost £300, which we had to go downstairs and pay for at the bar, as the restaurant staff were obviously too 'busy' to sort our bill. I have had better service in a McDonalds.

1 Thank Anon00000
Newcastle
“Amazing food, Appalling service.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

What a shame the service at Fat Buddha Newcastle is so poor, as the food is simply wonderful. Complements go wholeheartedly to the Chef's, who create the tastiest Asian food around, but the service is yet to be desired.
My main concern is towards, who I presume to be the Manager (often in a Grey suit, often with an iPad glued to his hand) who struts around glum-faced, only focused on filling the restaurant rather than ensuring the satisfaction of those already dining there.
I popped in for Tapas and Cocktails on Sunday 14th July and, presumed "Manager" delivered my food. The plates were placed on the other side of the table, rather than in front of me, without a smile or so much as a look in the eye. There wasn't even an offer of "Can I get you anything else?".
When the Man in the Suit can not even lead by example, the waiters have no chance, as you can tell by lack of Check-Backs and long waits for drinks service.
I cannot complement the food more, but what a shame the dining experience is ruined by such poor service.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Atmosphere, food, service - it has it all!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Visited on a Sunday lunchtime on a hot day. Very stylish interior, cool and welcoming. Staff were attentive and friendly without being overbearing. Excellent, reasonably priced lunchtime menu offers something for everyone. Food served efficiently and was very tasty. Would definitely recommend to colleagues, friends and family and will go back to sample the evening menu and/or the range of cocktails on offer.