WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“In need of TLC” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Keelman's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Keelman's Lodge
Aberdeen
“In need of TLC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Due to the sensitive nature of our visit I have delayed reviewing the Keelman. We visited in mid July. It was a family visit, made up of several couples. We stayed a few days here.

The Keelman has quite a few nice features such as its' own brewary and it is very close to a local popular park. Many people stopped when walking there dogs for a bit of a rest in the garden area. Sometimes the outside area got quite crowded. When brewing we did notice the traditional bar area had a very distinctive smell. There is also a mezzanine area upstairs where tables are laid out for meals. I did find it quite dark but this is part of the feature of the building as it is obviously quite old.

There is a large glass sided conservatory area where tables are laid out for meals and breakfast. The glass could do with a spring clean. It was very popular. We found the meals to be quite good pub grub. However, after a few days we felt like we could do with a change. Unfortunately, there are very few options locally in Newbarn to compete with the Keelman. This makes the Keelman have that 'well used' feel about it both in and outside in the public areas. I just felt it was a bit trampled and tired despite an obvious effort in the garden as I did see someone gardening. Just the number of people using it are having a negative effect.

I think breakfast was very expensive for what was on offer. I am saddened that bed and breakfast is no longer the 'package' it once was and now most establishments seem to favour offering 'continential' at a price and 'full breakfast' at an additional price. I find this flexible arrangement not such good value for money. I had two poached eggs and toast on recommendation and it was nice but at the same cost as full breakfast??

There are two separate accommodation blocks from the old brewary building. Some of my relatives stayed in the rooms just beside the pub and car park. I belive there is an accessible room, I did not see it but it might be helpful to note. I think the first rooms are in this block. ( say 1-5??) I noticed the family room my relatives were allocated was very spacious and neat. The room was very dark though, even in the day. There is a very well established hedge at the back of the building which restricts the light quite a bit. The bathroom was clean but I was always very concerned about the smell of damp which was very strong in the room. I could not have stayed the night there because of it and it would have been a bit of an issue for me.

We stayed in the second accommodation block which is down a little path from the pub making it a bit further away. The room was again quite spacious and clean. There were nice windows looking out that could be opened. Some care and thought had clearly been put into the renovation of this building and it was very pleasant making me feel quite guilty leaving my relatives in the other building!! The current picture demonstrating the Keelman is a picture of this second block of accommodation.

This place has great potential and due to the current lack of competition and location is really sucessful. The meals were lovely. I wouldn't say there was anything special about the service to commend it but we had no issues here at all.

However, overall I wouldn't stay here again although popping in for lunch is good if you can find a table!!

Room Tip: If you are happy to stay just perhaps ask for a room numbered beyond eight or ask for a room in the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kelyness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

my husband and i stayed at the keelman in april this year and found our 2 nights stay very satifactory. the food was excellent the staff were really freindly. the room was imaculate and just what you need when staying away from home. it was that good we and 6 other of our freinds are staying again, and also recommending it to anyone i know going up north, Also any camra members would love the keelman for there real ale, brewed at the big lamp brewery. i promise you wont be disappointed with the keelman.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

came across this pub /restaurant/ hotel and brewery last year whilst cycling, my brother and i had a spot of lunch and a pint of their own brewed beer and so decided last saturday to try it again. i had a burger and chips with side salad, one of the best burgers i've ever had, my daughter had a trio of fish cakes and she raved about them, great setting right next to the river good food and lovely tasting ales, all in all a very good place to drop into if your on a drive out for the day

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank collza
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've never stayed here, but I've been for a few lunches. The staff are all nice and friendly, and they serve good beer (including Prince Bishop) for a fair price. Inside it is very pleasant, with a lovely big conservatory if you want to dine in there. There are lots of tables outside in a very large area, which includes a playground for kids.

However, if you want a good meal, forget it. The menu has a decent selection, but the quality of the food is very poor. There were 3 of us there recently and we all had different meals. I had a trio of fishcakes with (unnecessary) potato wedges and a dried up salad. The fishcakes had a very thick coating of breadcrumbs, and seemed to have been deep fried. My son had a stottie cake with beef which was covered (and spoilt) with loads of "gravy". The 3rd meal was scampi with poor quality chips.

I would only return for a couple of pints, but definitely no more food. It's a pity, because the food is it's only failing.

Thank 237enigma .
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

A lovely clean hotel room with all the basics. While on the same site the rooms are in a separate building to the Big Lamp Brewery which means that you can get some sleep even when the Brewery is busy. Meals can eaten at the Big Lamp Brewery which is a very popular pub and eating house. The food and ales were very good and the staff very helpful. It is also right on the Hadrian's Wall route.

Room Tip: There are two floors so if stairs are an issue book the ground floor.
Newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We tried eating here a few years back and found it less then average. We decided to give it another go a couple of days ago and once again we were very disappointed. I had steak and ale pie which was average at best, mashed potatoes totally bland tasted like they had not included any butter, cream or seasoning. Also it was served in little round balls like I used to get at school. Veg was over cooked and again no seasoning. In fact thinking about it the whole thing was like a poor school dinner. I really think this chef does not care about the standard of his/her food. This is a real shame as it’s a really nice pub and has massive potential, but is sadly not living up to that potential.

If you are in the area and would like a nice pub meal I’d recommend The Original Masons in Walbottle. We have been on many occasions and always found the food to be lovely. And no before you ask I don’t work there!

On a brighter note, it is a really nice place to enjoy a real ale on a sunny day in the beer garden!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Lovely spot along the Hadrian's Wall trail. Nice sized room with a tub in the bathroom and a very comfortable bed. Everyone of the staff that we interacted with were professional and cheerful. The dining room provided a great dinner. The scrambled eggs at breakfast were made of real eggs, a much appreciated first for us in the UK. The bonus of staying here is that there is a brewery on premises! We met several people in the bar who had travelled a distance to come for a weekly dinner at the inn.

Stayed August 2012