“Nice Hotel”

Jurys Inn Newcastle
Tyne & Wear
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hotel perfectly situated near main rail station. Perfect if going to events at the Metro Gateshead Arena or conferencing in Newcastle. Beware we were on 7th floor and kept awake two nights out of our 4 night stay with party goers. Security deals with any excess noise promptly. Restaurant meal not particularly good value but bar menu was okay, breakfast excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Finnish first
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Typical Jurys location - edge of City centre in a slightly rough neighbourhood. Popular with hen/stag parties so best avoided on a Saturday night. Room was poorly cleaned each day (3) that we were there and they never left enough towels. In fairness, the management are aware of the noise problem and patrolled the corridors from time to time but the sound insulation between rooms is poor so they were fighting a losing battle.

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet and away from groups.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great hotel and location but upon arrival our hen party were greeted by being told we needed to pay a further £100 bond in order to stay at the hotel. Nothing was stipulated in the email nor via phone before we arrived: we were told to pay this on the day!

This was really awkward as some people didn't being enough money etc and the poor hen had to have her afternoon spoiled by this as they hotel refused to let us in without paying the bond, even though we'd paid a deposit months ago and paid for the rooms in full.

The hotel need to address this issue to resolve the embarrassment of future guests having to pay a vast amount of money.

They also don't tell you that the £100 will be paid back into your account 5 days after using a credit card or 14 days after using a direct debit - disgusting!

We paid for 8 rooms and one was an extra. In the morning we weren't told that one room didn't have bed and breakfast so one room couldn't have breakfast! Just what you want to hear after a night out and having had to pay all that money!

On a positive: shower great, bed very comfy and great location - 10 mins walk from train station.

Would stay again but they need to sort out the £100 bond on the day or stipulate it BEFORE people pay for the room etc.

• Stayed June 2013
Zwolle, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

6 of us stayed here for one night, two friends in each room. Two friends checked in first and were asked for a £100 bond incase of damages as we were part of a group. Then I checked in later myself with another friend - we were not asked for a bond. We only found out about the bond when my friend who checked in first asked me about it.

We went to reception to ask what the bond was all about and reception said that they charged it as we were part of a group booking and it was hotel policy to charge this for each room. I said that I hadn't been charged and the only reason it was a group booking was that it was easier for me to do this rather than each friend make a booking. We felt a bit insulted that we had been compared as a group - and at that exact moment, a bus full of women on a girly holiday came through the door. I made a point that we had no wish to be compared as a group.

So, with regards to the bond, I said that they couldn't charge one room and not the other and I wouldn't be paying it. Nor would the 3rd set of friends who would check in later.

It was later sorted with Kerry and the manager and that the £100 taken from the 1st set of friends would be refunded within a couple of days back on their card.

The room itself was great, massive bed and on the top floor. Although my friends told me they were on the 5th floor and heard arguments and shouting at 5am in the morning - most unacceptable. I made this known upon checking out.

The hotel is within walking distance of Metro Arena, train station and Centre For Life. Breakfast seemed too expensive at £10 each, so we didn't bother.

I will stay here again if the hotel reviews its bond policy in view of the above. Just because one friend makes a booking on behalf of their friends, it does not make them a group that seems likely to cause trouble!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

As part of a coach tour we stayed in this hotel for four nights DBB first nights dinner was good with scampy and chips ,second nights was mince and dough balls two large dough balls and a spoonful of mince dough balls were solid and heavy third night was fish and chips all the portions of fish were exactly the same pointing to frozen potions I decided to bail out and find somewhere else to eat for the rest of the holiday not a good indication for a 3 star hotel, however the breakfasts were buffet style and excellent no complaints here, the rooms were the cleanest I have experienced (Clinical even) and as a technical rep. for 30 years I have stayed in countless establishments throughout the UK but these rooms were spotless, one other small gripe the white wine was not sufficiently chilled and with prices around £20 not a good show.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann_Bright, Operations Manager at Jurys Inn Newcastle, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Jurys Inn Newcastle.

Its disappointing to read you did not enjoy your evening meals during your stay although I would assure you that your experience does not reflect our usual high standard of service, we cater regularly for tour and coach parties staying in the hotel and regularly receive very positive feedback from them.

I have passed on your comments regarding your room cleanliness to our housekeeping team who are grateful for the very positive feedback.

Kind regards

Ann Bright
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

When I booked over the phone, they promised me a confirmation email straight away. I didn't receive it until 2 days later when I had already called the hotel 3 times. Although I had spelled my name 3 times, each time to a different person, they still couldn't write it. It took an email from me with my name to make them realise.
I stayed at the Jurys Inn Newcastle for 4 nights, breakfast included. When I arrived I was immediately helped by the receptionist. She handled the check in quickly and professionally, but it was a bit strange to have to pay for the whole stay upon arrival.
When I arrived in my room I was delighted. They had given me a room with one double bed and one single bed! For one person staying in the room, that meant heaven!! Everything looked great: a lot of space, comfortable beds, double glazing, flat screen tv, tea making facilities, clean bathroom with bath and shower, iron and iron board.
It didn't take long for me to settle and when I wanted to drink a cup of tea, I noticed the cups (all 3) and spoons were dirty (one spoon still had some yoghurt remains). I went down to ask the reception to sort it out and they answered they'd do it immediately. They didn't, I had to wait until 3 PM the next day, for the cleaning lady to disturb me during a confcall. When I asked her for new clean cups, she just took them to the wash-basin in my bathroom. To me that's totally unacceptable! She must have done it very quick because it wasn't done properly. During my 4-night stay I never had 3 totally clean cups and spoons! This is a detail to improve.
Breakfast was nice: the buffet had everything, cold and hot. The staff should just be careful that when a guest leaves the table to get something, they don't start to clean the table and take away everything. My personal belongings indicated that I was going to return to finish my coffee.
Several times I had lunch and dinner at the hotel and I must say that the food is delicious. Only the staff in the restaurant could be friendlier, but I understand it's hard work at busy times. The bar was good: friendly staff, good food.
The hotel should offer WIFI for free!!
So my conclusion is that the hotel has a good balance value/ money, but they should improve on the things I listed to make the stay completely comfortable and nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephanie C
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The reception staff were very helpful; had booked with expedia for a ridiculously low rate, some booking confusion (no changes etc) and they solved all the issues, a refreshing relief... I wont pinpoint the smile comment, though read some of the other reviews....

Room was ample in space and cleanliness, would definitely recommend for visitors to Newcastle.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ann_Bright, Operations Manager at Jurys Inn Newcastle, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Jurys Inn Newcastle. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I have passed on your comments regarding our reception team to our Front Office manager who will take steps to ensure our normal standards of service are being maintained.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to stay with us in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,
Ann Bright
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle upon Tyne
Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#8 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Ci...
#18 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,126 reviews
Royal Station Hotel
Royal Station Hotel
#25 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,765 reviews
Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Sandman Signature Newcastle Hote...
#21 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
#14 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews

Been to Jurys Inn Newcastle? Share your experiences!