“Impressed”

Best Western New Kent Hotel
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Hotel conveniently located on Osborne Road, in the Jesmond area of Newcastle. 7 minute walk to West Jesmond metro station and from there the train is only a few minutes away to central Newcastle. Otherwise a 20ish minute walk to the centre.

Very friendly staff. Room basic but clean with a powerful shower.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have used the New Kent several times over the past twoyears and can safely saythat it has been a great place to stay and a home from home,slightly quirky in some respects but I cannot find any reason tofault. The staff on the whole are amazingly helpful and pleasant, nothing is ever too much trouble!! The restaurant isone of those hidden gems, the quality and variety of food produced from the kitchen is ubelievable and it is a great shame that it is not better publicised to theworld in general!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rustedandrotten
Reviewed April 21, 2013

There is quite a contrast between the effort put in by the staff and the quality of the accommodation overall.
I've found the staff one of the best I've ever met, they were always with a smile and actively looking to find out if there was something I needed to be happy as a customer.
The hotel is worn out, I've found the bathroom disappointing (I always go irate, especially for that price range, when I have to practice weird gymnastics in a tight shower to get a good rinse just because a hotel manager decides to install only fixed wall showers?).
Also, I believe there is a fair amount of dust mites, as it triggered an unusually strong rinitis (and I do a lot of travel for business).
Although they volunteer to change bed sheets and towels, full set, every day - which I found unnecessary, maybe two three times a week is enough - I think they should rather consider a better hoover instead. And go for some more long term improvements ...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PaulTudorOprea
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms comfy beds flat screen TVs nice variety of food on menu . staff very friendly rooms very modern and clean close to all the jesmond /osbourne street bars however a few things to be aware parking at the hotel is very limited and to be really petty the shampoo and hand soap ain't up to much other than that very good overall

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank bonzobobby
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed 2 nights over a weekend (Friday & Saturday nights) very warm and friendly greeting by receptionist on arrival, room was very well furnished and equipped, free wi fi in room which was handy. Bathroom was very spacious with brilliant showere, only criticism was the hairdryer - one of those awful wall mounted tube things that are totally useless for drying hair. Brilliant location for restaurants and bars in Jesmond - just around the corner! Also not too far to walk into Newcastle City Centre takes about 25 minutes. West Jesmond Metro station only a few minutes walk away if you don't fancy the walk into City. We arrived by car and had seen previous reviews about limited car parking, however, when we arrived around 5pm there were plenty spaces available and we had no problem parking whenever we returned to hotel during our two night stay. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen P
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel with our young grand daughter and had a comfortable stay. Our room was large and clean and beds were comfortable. The staff were really friendly especially the waitress who served us for our evening meal and breakfast which I must say were both delicious Hotel. Hotel was handy for the metro and for £5 for a super saver for 2 it was good value for money. especially if you are going into city in the afternoon and also again at night. The only downside was the squeekly floor boards from above as the young lads were getting ready to go out so was a bit worried that it would be noisey in the early hours when they returned but it was very quiet and we had a peaceful sleep. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for business and had a good stay. The staff were friendly throughout and although the rooms are quite dated, mine was immaculately clean, so I didn't see this as a problem. My room had a flatscreen TV with Freeview and room service is available. I would describe the rooms as three star and comfortable.

I ate from the A La Carte menu in the restaurant and the food quality was excellent. They also do three courses for around £16 which is a bargain!

The biggest issue for this hotel is parking. Thee are about 10 spaces available which were all taken when I arrived. A lot of the surrounding area is permit holders only, but I managed to find a spot on the road, about 200m away which was ok, but not the moat secure.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013