“My room was poor”

Best Western New Kent Hotel
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Typical 3 star hotel - and to be fair my only stay here. My room was situated next to the main entrance of the first floor - so suffered from constand fire doors opening and closing. The room itself was a single and had a view of the fire escape and a wall - so very pokey. The bathroom was nicely furnished - and had a good shower. The bed seemed quite old and was overly firm - not through the springs but the base.

Breakfast was fine - with a reasonable selection with attentive staff.

Very limited and difficult parking.

It would not be my first choice of hotels in Newcastle - but for a single night was ok.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 21, 2011

Great hotel, clean, pity about check in and check out not been friendly. Otherwise a very good. Breakfast was of the useral standard for this type of hotel. Wireless network sometimes worked. Location great.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank davidmowbray
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stayed in the New Kent hotel in April for the 1 night.
When I arrived I found the smallish car park to be full, and so had to park a very short walk away on the main road. Check in was fine, and I found my room on the top floor. The room was a little cramped, but for 1 nights stay fine. I had a good veiw of the local park and church, and whilst it was smallish, it was light and airy.
I did eat in the bar and was could eat from the bar or restaurant menu. The food was fine and served without too much delay. During my visit I was the only person using the bar and anly a few people were seated in the restaurant.
Just a few hundred yards down the road are a collection of pubs and other places to dine, should you want an alternative to the fare offered by the hotel.
Breakfast was fine and checkout quick and accurate.
If I am in the area again I would consider another night at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors for free Wi-Fi.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2011

The hotel is part of the Great Western Chain and my expectations were not high but the hotel more than met my expectations. There is free wi-fi, the rooms were well equipped although the decor is dated.
The breakfast seemed a little chaotic as it is all made to order rather than a hot buffet and as everyone seemed to come for breakfast at the same time it took longer than I would expect to get served.
The location is great, near the Metro, local shops and restaurants and it was great to be somewhere more residential than in the city centre for a change.
If I needed to be in this area again for work I would stay here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank FacilitatorChristine
Reviewed April 14, 2011

i stayed here with a friend in march as we came too see justin bieber in concert, we loved our stay and ouldnt ask for any thin more the room was really clean i even moved the bed to check and it was spotless, the staff where lovely and helped us find places etc, i would defo stay again and for longer..

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I was in Newcastle for a university seminar and initially found this place to be a good match between price, location and comfort necessities. However, I'm afraid the hotel is really only an option if you can't spend more and need to be in the area.
As you can see from the pictures, the place is in dire need for renovation. I'm willing to accept some run-down-ness at a cheaper place, but wallpaper coming off the wall is not in this catalogue. As expected, the rooms are tiny, but do have all that's required to fit one's belongings.
Staff was helpful most of the time, however they failed to inform me that my payment through Orbitz had not arrived even though I asked whether everything with my reservation was fine at the beginning. Upon my departure, the receptionist wouldn't let me go without paying a second time, although he promised to check back with management so I'd get back one of the two amounts. Needless to say, this didn't happen, so I needed to go through Orbitz' customer service to receive the partial refund. I don't know whose fault this was originally, but I fully expected the inquiry on the hotel's side so I wouldn't have to spend half an hour on the phone.

I didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't tell much about this aspect. The area itself is okay, with supermarkets, banks and a Starbucks close by; the many pubs with their usual Saturday evening client base did not bother me and couldn't be heard from the room.

The tv did not work (I'm not a big TV person, so I didn't bother with asking for a replacement or repair, I just checked at the beginning). One plus aspect I don't wanna leave out: There was free and reliable wi-fi.

All in all, this is certainly not a delight, but might be worth it if you're on a tight budget and don't expect comfort levels above a good hostel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Guybrushtravelz
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed for just one night visiting our student daughter who lives in Jesmond. Our room looked as if it had been recently refurbished and the bathroom was clean and spacious.Breakfast was of good quality and plenty of choice. It's convenient for shops, restaurants and the metro in Jesmond but if you like walking it's not far to the city centre. When we visis her again we would definitely use the same hotel

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple