“Can't possibly understand high tripadvisor rating!!!!”
Review of The Stand Bistro

The Stand Bistro
Ranked #164 of 1,303 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2013

On arrival the bistro was busy however we found a table. When the food arrived we failed to receive any cutlery and had to collect it ourself. The starter was nice but lacking in wow factor! The arrival of the mains, the portions were extremely small and considering the price I would expect a large portion size. The steak was clearly a poor cut of meat as it had been sliced. We were going to get a desert but due to the disappointment of the the starter and main we decided not to! Definitely not 5 star in Newcastle!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We went here after reading the reviews and overall it was very good. The food was amazing and very fresh, the only slight downer was the service although friendly was a little slow.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We visited the Stand for Sunday lunch, we had a 7 yr old and a baby. The menu did not cater for children, however when I asked the staff they were very helpful and gave a half portion for half the price. The staff were excellent, the meal was average, no highchairs!

StandBoxOffice, Public Relations Manager at The Stand Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Hi there,

Whilst I'm glad that staff stepped up and provided you with excellent service, we're still saddened to hear that your overall experience at The Stand Bistro wasn't to the same level as most people enjoy. Regarding our provisions for children, this is something we will certainly look into, we appreciate you raising these points.

Thanks for your feedback

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The menus at The Stand are very extensive and intriguing, leaving you wanting to try everything! They also change on a regular basis, so there is always something new to give a go. The food in itself is of a very high-standard and quality. Whilst they serve options like fish and chips and burgers, there is always an unique twist to them. There is a lot of Thai/Vietnamese influences to many of the dishes as last time I went I had a chu-chee curry with sticky rice. The curries are cooked from scratch, like everything on the menu, and are very tasty. The only criticism I have is I have found the portions to be too small but I could not give this places less than a rating of excellent as the food is so outstanding.

The seating area is limited and I think you may have to make sure you book on nights when there is a popular show on, as although appearing a bit like a pub, I get the impression their aim is to make the seating area more like a restaurant. The drink selection is ever-changing, but there is a great choice of ale, beer, wine and spirits so you will always find something suiting to warm your cockles. Atmosphere is great both upstairs and down ( there is also a courtyard with tables to sit out on). Service is always happy to chat and very accommodating - which is great as it is a comedy club so they put your in a cheery mood. I have noticed that a few people have commented on slow service, including food. I think maybe they should remember this places gets very full, very quickly as everyone comes in at the same time due to show timings so give them a break and be patient. Also the food is made to order and I'd rather wait a bit longer for decent food. Definitely one of my favourite places in Newcastle, always one I recommend to friends and family visiting the area as it makes for such a great night out.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've been here twice now and on both occasions the food has been lovely. The service on the other hand is very slow. Last week when we went we tried for about half an hour after our main courses were finished to get the waitress' attention so we could view the pudding menu. Every time she walked past she seemed to purposely turn her head the other way to avoid us. This was at a quiet time in the evening so I dread to think what it was like later on once the guests for all of the reserved tables had arrived. I will go back but only when I've got a few hours to spare (it took one and a half hours for two courses and we were due at the theatre).

StandBoxOffice, Public Relations Manager at The Stand Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Our apologies that the service you experienced wasn't up to the usual standards that we've become known for, although we're happy that you enjoyed the food.

If you drop a line to us at admin@thestand.co.uk we can address the matter directly, and we do thank our customers for all their feedback.