“disappointing”

The Days of the Raj
Ranked #392 of 1,308 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Days of Raj restaurant have been creating fantastic cuisine since 1984.Our menu reflects the vast range of cuisine in the Indian subcontinent with influences from Bengal, Parsi, Goan, Gujarati as well as British Raj. The restaurant has been one of the most successful in the north east. It embodies the culture of the Indian subcontinent and celebrates its rich history,culture and traditions. Experience the very best in traditional cuisine, amidst luxurious surroundings. Crisp linen tablecloths, fresh flowers and excellent service from friendly and efficient waiters all add to the enjoyment of the cuisine. Our menu has been designed to appease the most finicky of taste buds. Delectable biryanis or palate-tickling kebabs and tikkas. pick the food that matches your mood and occasion. We provide a traditional Indian taste that will leave your family and friends longing for more, with the Indian dining experience where food is synonymous with entertainment is our chief inspiration.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We attended the Days of the Raj which is located upstairs in Harewood House next to the garage on Great North road. Having been to many Indian restaurants in both North and South Tyneside which have excellent restaurants, I suppose I have fairly high expectations and of a warm welcome.

No warm welcome here- indeed I dont think anyone smiled throughout. Maybe this is because we were on a voucher deal but I suspect not.

The restaurant itself is pleasant enough. We ordered starters, sides and mains and the starters came pretty quickly. My sheek kebab was nice, a bit on the spicy side though and the tandoori mixed kebab was good. The wine was not particularly incidently. The sides arrive on of which was chips (I know but I love chips from an Indian restaurant). What a disappointment, pale flacid FROZEN chips. If paying a couple of quid for a small bowl of chips I at least expect them to be real chips and have never been served frozen in the thousands of Indian meals I have had. The curries arrived and were curiously heated up on a sort of camping stove which I hadnt seen before. None ofthe usual warming trays on the tabe to keep it warm. Both curries (Rogan and Dupiaza) although the meat was fine, were bland. The Rogan seemed to have a slight tikka masala flavour rather than predominantly tomatoe, although there were some in there. The Dupiaza had a curious taste, which I can only describe as cabbage like. We were hungry so we ate what we needed and left. Having looked so forward to it, we left very disappointed with the food, curries in particular.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great portions, good service and great price, especially if you go for the Thursday or Sunday night special.
The Sunday special is enough for me and my wife. Would defo recommend it!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Fantastic service and food was excellent. Spacious restsurant with a welcoming atmosphere. Pleasent and attentive staff made the night most enjoyable. Would recommend *****

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The food was amazing best tasting indian in the whole of north east food was amazing would go back there everyday if I could the prices were standard same as any other indian resturant the king prawn bhuna is delicious aswell as the chicken tikka shashrik fair prices amazing atmoaphere quite a big resturant very modern everthing was very clean and shiny would go back there most definately

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great service and lovely food! We will be back!

We have eaten in here and had take aways! Excellent both times.

Only improvement would be to deliever!!