“Lovely food, but not value for money”

The Days of the Raj
Ranked #471 of 1,252 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The Days of Raj restaurant have been creating fantastic cuisine since 1984.Our menu reflects the vast range of cuisine in the Indian subcontinent with influences from Bengal, Parsi, Goan, Gujarati as well as British Raj. The restaurant has been one of the most successful in the north east. It embodies the culture of the Indian subcontinent and celebrates its rich history,culture and traditions. Experience the very best in traditional cuisine, amidst luxurious surroundings. Crisp linen tablecloths, fresh flowers and excellent service from friendly and efficient waiters all add to the enjoyment of the cuisine. Our menu has been designed to appease the most finicky of taste buds. Delectable biryanis or palate-tickling kebabs and tikkas. pick the food that matches your mood and occasion. We provide a traditional Indian taste that will leave your family and friends longing for more, with the Indian dining experience where food is synonymous with entertainment is our chief inspiration.
“Lovely food, but not value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Purchased a groupon voucher (4 people dine for £43) took along my nephew as an addition - so agreed to pay extra for his meal
My nephew and sister didn't have alcohol and drank sparkling water
I had 3 pints of cobra with my brother inlaw
My partner had 2 small white wines
The bill was an additional £77!
We were charged extra for rice, the mains & bread
£8.50 for popadoms!
The service was good the atmosphere was poor club music played in the background and the place was empty
No wonder at these prices!

Newcastle upon Tyne
“Much better than the reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Four of us visited using a Groupon voucher.

The initial impression from outside is poor but on entering the restaurant the decor is very modern and the restaurant is surprisingly large. We were impressed!

There were few customers probably because we had an early booking and it was a slow Monday evening.

We had a pleasant welcome and were quickly shown to our seats.

We had popadoms followed by starters and a main course accompanied by pilau rice and nans. We all had different meals and the quality of the all the food was excellent as was the service which was attentive and at the right pace. We liked the small touch of heating up the meals by the table before serving.

The prices are slightly above average but if we had used the early bird menu (up to 7.30pm) at £10.95 for 4 courses I reckon it was cheaper than using a Groupon voucher!!!!!!

The only downside was that we were not fully informed regarding how they would apply the Groupon terms and conditions which might have affected our choice of meals.

A very pleasant evening and we would visit again without a Groupon voucher

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank NIRS3
“Poor Service, average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

First and last visit to 'The days of the Raj'
I had been warned the food here wasnt brilliant however I still decided to try for myself. I've tasted better curry's straight from a jar all six of us agreed the food wasn't good. Service was ok until we asked for coffee which was served luke warm and had to be poured by ourselves. No wonder the restaurant was nearly empty, when we left the manager couldn't even be bothered to say goodbye, can't see the place staying open much longer, do yourself a favour and save a small fortune by buying a Indian meal for 2 from Asda as the quality of the meal was on par with that.

3 Thank Steve-6808
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Way better than expected for a restaurant located above a petrol station!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Went with some friends with a Groupon, it's a bit out of the way but the decor, ambience and the food were nice! I'd recomment the Shami Kebab out of the appetizers in particular. Service was good, attentive without hovering over us all the time. Not sure if I'd go again paying full price but that's mainly cause I'm a student and can't afford it! Definitely recommend it though

• Visited April 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Used the voucher”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Got a voucher for this place so basically we got £11 off our meal/drinks order, we just got what we fancied and paid the difference. And that's why I think the proprietor was so miserable, he was basically a tenner down on most couples in his restaurant !
Anyway, first impressions not good, it's a bit out of the way at the top of the high street, its above some shops and a couple of them are boarded up.
Nicely surprised when we went upstairs, it's a very well decorated and nicely done out large open plan restaurant, comfortable waiting area, very clean and modern toilets, large well stocked bar with good selection on draught.
Strangely our order was taken from the lounge and not our table, that's when I noticed the poor attitude of who I assumed was the boss. Not really rude or arrogant as suggested, just not bothered, you could tell he just did not want to be there !! The other staff seemed quite keen and I must say they did look after us even though the place was quite busy, not crowded though as its a decent sized place. 9.00pm on a Friday.
I read a previous about flat pop from a bottle but not the case with our order.
I enjoyed the lamb bhuna on puree immensely, my main of Raj chicken & keema was tasty also, not too spicy.
My partners masala was the bright red version, with a full bag of sugar in it.
Basically, 2 pints cobra, 1 woodpecker, 1 coke, 3 pappadoms and chutney/mix/pickles, bhuna lamb on puree, chicken chat, Raj chicken & keema , chicken tikka massala, plain naan, plain pilau came to about £48, less the voucher difference. Would I go back , yes with a voucher.

• Visited May 2012