“Great food, fantastic welcome...”
Review of The Old Siam - CLOSED

The Old Siam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We decided on the Old Siam after trawling through the Tripadvisor reviews for Newcastle. We're glad we did! From the moment we entered the welcome and service was top notch.
We shared the Old Siam platter for two or more people - a beautiful selection of Thai classical starters served with various dips. It was delicious and there was plenty of it. I chose a main of King Prawn Roul Dang – a classic stir fry with red wine sauce, red onions and crunchy
cashew nuts. I was a wee bit concerned about mixing a red wine sauce with prawns, but I shouldn't have been. The dish was fantastic! My wife chose a Duck Lemongrass Stirfry. While lemongrass can be a dainty flavour, we felt that this dish was a little bland rather than delicate. It was slightly disappointing but we ate the lot anyhoo! We finished by both having the Mango Mousse. Glad we ordered one each - it was so good that if only one of us had ordered it, the other would have been glum! All in all a great experience made all the better by the attentive and prompt service and friendly atmosphere. We will return!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Old Siam is definitely the best Thai restaurant that I’ve been to in the UK. I’m not at all surprised that this place has ranked so highly on Tripadvisor, the food was fantastic. I had the Stir Fried Pad King (with Chicken) and my girlfriend had the Sweet and Sour Chicken…a dish that I would never usually choose, but when I tasted it I was amazed: it was 10 times better than any Sweet and Sour sauce from a Chinese restaurant. The staff here so friendly and there is genuinely nothing to find fault with. I’m sure we’ll be visiting this place again and again.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We decided to visit after our friends had raved about the food here and boy we were not disappointed. As soon as we walked in we were transported back to our time in Thailand by the smells & the friendly staff on hand to great us.
We had the Old Siam Platter to share between the two of us which was, just absolutely delicious. My hubby thought it was a little expensive for the amount of food to share, but the quality & tastes could not be faulted at all. We went on to have the beef Massaman curry & I decided on the Beef Panang. Both were absolutely beautiful & had we not been so full we could have spent the whole night there eating our way through the menu!! The staff were extremely polite and could not have been more accommodating. The only negative was, that we visited for our anniversary & the tables did feel like they were on top of each other. I felt we were there with the couple sitting next to us as we could hear every word they said. Luckily for us they left as we were starting our mains. It wouldn't put me off visiting again however.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Initially had intended to have a lunch in Electric East on sat 5th Jan - but turned up at 12.30 to find it closed - despite the fact that it's website stated they were open on a Saturday lunchtime - the sign on its door said they were only open on a Friday for lunch. Worth checking with a phone call if you intend to eat there!! So plan B, a stroll down to the quayside to seek out Old Siam.

Very pleased that our original restaurant choice was closed. There were no other diners when we arrived at about 1 pm but we were welcomed and given a table In the window. Staff were polite, helpful and very friendly. We decided on the Old Siam platter to start then a chicken panang and a seafood massaman for main with steamed coconut rice. All the food was superb and beautifully presented. Try the Monsoon Valley Thai red wine. Perfect. Only a few other diners came in when we were there but I put this down to being only a few days after all the new year festivities. Well worth a visit and we will definately be returning to try it on an evening.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Top notch food that gives you that taste of Thailand in your mouth. Been to Thailand many times and love love love the food and this joint is highly recommended by little old me. Well worth a visit

Tip - Try the massaman Curry it is super duper washed doon with a newcy broon not likley but with a crip cold bottle of Chang Thai Beer you wont go wrong