“Hidden down the lane” 4 of 5 bubbles

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hidden down the lane”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Funky bar/pub with a good selection of ciders and beers. a little on the pricey side for newcastle. But attracts an understated private crowd. I like to snack on a burger here under the warmth of the outdoor heaters (though a couple need to be fixed) on the upstairs roof garden. Toilets could do with being checked more often - every time I visit there is only one remaining toilet containing loo paper! But fun to go there and try their tasty snacks displayed daily on a chalk board with a nice bit of local cider :)

Not sure there is any access for wheelchairs to the toilets - something to keep in mind.

Visited April 2013

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Good Selection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great bar with an excellent selection of drinks and a good food menu. I had a lovely homemade burger with crispy french fries and the salted caramel tart for dessert was lick the plate good.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Cfrancis24
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great bar that's too handy for central station”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

It's a real test of inner strength to walk passed this great bar every day on my way home from work - seeing folk through window drinking cold Peroni and Veltins. I didn't quite make it last Thursday and Friday (Thursday arrived at 5 and fell out at 10)

They've done a great job with the refit with plenty of seating and window shelf bar seats where you can watch the radgies from Raffs blagging .40p from passersby - I do miss the juke box though because it had some great tunes. I've always found the bar staff really pleasant and friendly; and you can read the tattoos on their arms while waiting for your pint.

They have an outdoor terrace on the roof area where you can smerk ya tabs under heaters while sat on comfy bum benches and bar stools - this is where I ended up on Friday :-)

I once had a burger here and it was OK it did the job but its a burger not a lot to mess up.

I really do recommend the Veltins but be warned I was a burbling wreck after 2

Visited May 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The pub has had a refit which makes it look much smarter, really enjoy coming here, food was excellent and reasonably priced. Staff were really nice and friendly. Often start at the forth on nights out and its great to go there in the daytime too.

Visited March 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A Touch of Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Been here for drinks many times in the past, where the service was okay, but the drinks were often a bit of a let down, quality-wise. However, it's had a bit of a revamp, so I thought I'd give it another go and have some lunch too. After its face lift the place looks very smart, and I settled in a nice little room at the back, which was a bit quieter than the rest of the pub. I ordered a lemonade and a coke which unfortunately were quite watery and tasted cheap!! But I got on with it. We ordered food which took an age to arrive, despite the fact that it wasn't overtly busy. I had a burger and my other half had a chicken club sandwich. They were well presented, and came with a good amount of chips each, although neither dish was as hot as I would have liked. Mine was okay, although it did annoy me that the bun wasn't large enough to actually fit my burger in (!) so I ended up having to eat it with a knife and fork, which isn't really the idea. My partner said her sandwich was nice, although the chicken was a little dry. The chips could have done with some seasoning too, as they were a bit bland. Price-wise our meals were part of a "two meals and two drinks for £15" deal which is quite reasonable, despite the dodgy soft drinks. All in all it wasn't bad, but wouldn't have me rushing back.

Visited January 2013