“Average food at best...bad service.”
Review of Lau's 202

Lau's 202
Ranked #498 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have been to this all you can eat buffet twice now, and both times had similar experiences.

The first time was with a group of 5, we were sat near the door and were asked to pay upfront for this. I've never experience anything like this before, and shows a complete lack of trust to the guest and kind of an insult to be honest. The second time i went with just a couple of friends, and they managed to get our drink orders wrong, but then insisted its what we ordered...im not sure "a bottle of tiger", sounds like "a pint of fosters"....but oh well. The staff were polite enough, and did collect plates now and again which were used.

The food is average, similar to any Chinese buffet you go too, nothing special at all. Not a major selection but still good enough.

Overall, i wouldn't recommend this place at all. There are a lot better buffets and chinese cuisine restaurants in Newcastle.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We took the kids on Saturday for Tea. They loved every minute. They tried many new dishes.
At 5pm they brought out duck breasts and duck for the pancakes. Great value for money. We have been a few times and love it.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I used to visit this place on a regular basis with friends and even introduced this place to numerous people, however over time it has become terrible.

The space between the tables has becoming minimal, last time I was here we actually got talking to the couple sat on the table 5cm away from ours. We were sat by the serving station at the front and had people passing us very closely all the time, it made it very awkward to eat.

The quality of the food used to be brilliant, everything tasted and looked fresh. There used to be a lack of dessert options but this has changed and a better variation is now offered but this seems to have affected the quality.

On my last visit I had the prawns as normal however they tasted very watery, the next day I started to have cramp type pains in my stomach. An hour after this I had severe sickness issues and a fluctuating temperature that lead me to being bed ridden for two days. I must stress I can't prove this was the prawns fault however it seemed like the most likely cause. Things have been declining for a while and this was the final straw, won't be going back.

The staff have always been friendly and attentive, they are the only reason I couldn't vote this place 1 star.

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

This is the best all you can eat Chinese buffet restaurant I have ever been to and believe me when I say I have been to many. The quality and service and selection of food is outstanding. There is so much choice of food it is unreal! I will definitely be visiting again when I am in the area.
Ten out of ten!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I've been here many times before and its always been the better of the many Chinese buffets in town. so what happened??
Since the last time i have visited here they have added an 'Indian' section and a 'pizza and bread' section with what looks like some sort of carvery. This is clearly to compete with the new buffets that have opened which offer much more than Chinese food, and i think they have sacrificed the quality of the food to try to offer this.

I firstly had crispy duck pancakes, and found a not so small bone in amongst the pieces of duck. wasn't to put off by this at first , then when i went for a more 'main course' selection, there were a lot of strange concoctions i have never seen in a Chinese buffet before, about half the dishes were fish, and about 90% look like they had been sat there for hours (i did notice the staff going round and stirring the tureens to make them look a bit more fresh but they weren't doing a very good job) tried a chicken dish and the chicken was horrible, lemon chicken was very tough and chewy, beef dishes were bland and watery.
didn't want to give up on Laus so i thought i would have a dessert. mistake. the 'chocolate mousse' wasn't even set and tasted vile. The 'jelly' was hard as a brick?? (don't know how this is achieved) most of the other desserts weren't labelled so i had no idea what they were. multicolored blancmange is what they looked like.

Very disappointed by this visit as Laus used to be my favorite Chinese buffet. Wont be returning.