“Good ordinary food, good service, overpriced.”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill is located in the city centre of Newcastle. The menu has everything you would imagine from a traditional steak house with the superior quality you would expect from Marco Pierre White.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were 4 adults and 1 child. We were made to feel very welcome and had a decent meal. Would have given a higher score if the food had been extraordinary. It wasn't. Pub food at near Michelin star prices.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

A perfect afternoon spent enjoying a splendid afternoon tea in lovely surroundings, the waiting staff were so courteous and never ending tea or coffee complimented the food perfectly. Well recommended can't wait to return.

MPWNewcastle, MPW Team Leader at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear PatNewcastleuponTyne

Thank you so much for your very kind review. We are so glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable Afternoon Tea with us; our staff work incredibly hard to ensure they offer a good service, and your comments will most certainly be passed on to the rest of our team.
We hope to see you again in the near future!

Nic Elliot

MPW Team Leader

Reviewed September 18, 2013

A friend and I went here for lunch today, there is a lot to like about this restaurant and with some tweaks on the culinary front it could be really good.
The setting is light, spacious and airy, modern and unfussy. It was fairly quiet being a Wednesday lunch time, Service was quick and efficient the staff were attentive knowledgeable without being overbearing so great score there.
We had a mix of the set menu and the a la carte and items from both were good and poor in equal measure. To start I had the crispy calamari from the a la carte .It was fresh and tasty but a little on the chewy side. The tartare sauce tasted as though it was from a jar (and not a good one at that) with added chopped capers, completely unappealing. My dining companion had the ham hock terrine with chutney from the daily special menu. The chutney was excellent the terrine was good but would have been so much better if it wasn’t served fridge cold. The same applied to my potted duck again from the al a carte menu (I always have 2 starters and rarely have a main course). Served straight from the fridge, lacking in fat and the addition of finely diced crunchy carrots did nothing for it. When It warmed up it was flavourful but the portion could have been bigger even for a starter it was small, approx. 2 dessert spoons in a tiny Kilner type jar but served with a veritable doorstop of toasted sourdough and a slice of melba toast, way too much bread for the amount of duck, all with no butter and despite being “potted” it did need the butter. I could have asked but was disillusioned by this stage so didn’t. When ask if everything was ok I did point this out and did receive an apology at the end of the meal and an assurance that the chef had been advised so at least they seem to take notice when you express your concerns.
My dinner guest had the shepherd’s pie from the specials this was most excellent and I wish I had chosen this .Light, fluffy creamy mash on very tasty chopped lamb rump in gravy with veg this was excellent. The beef dripping chips which we got as an extra, also.
I had dessert from the specials which was disappointing. The lemon polenta cake was dry and tasteless with none of the texture I expect from a cake with polenta in it ,the only lemon flavour on the plate was from the micro lemon balm there was no lemon evident in the cake but the pistachio ice cream was a triumph.
As said at the start there is a lot to like and I would go back but I think the full grown up a la carte menu, of an evening, needs to be fully road tested before I make a final decision if it’s good or just mediocre

2  Thank Lesley_P_C
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was there for lunch time, had a beef salad for starter, was fresh, but not to salty, didn't have any souce and flavour, I expected somethig else, but its just my opinion, meat was fresh salad ,too.
For main we had a chicken with spinach, souce , was really nice , I really enjoyed the taste and flavour, little bit of sweet, yuumyyy!! Not very big portion. The dessert, Was a chocolotte mousse wuth a biscuit, excellant!! Combination of flvour ,very,very,nice, service good and nice. Atmosphere quiet and relaxing.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked this restaurant a few weeks in advance when we booked our hotel reservation. So glad we did as it was fully booked on the evening we dined & other guests had to be turned away. We went all out having three courses & champagne & not one fault could be given. Great food, beautifully presented & nicely chilled champagne. Happy to recommend & will go back.