“liked everything”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill is located in the city centre of Newcastle. The menu has everything you would imagine from a traditional steak house with the superior quality you would expect from Marco Pierre White.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

booked for dinner last night. Excellent service. Really liked the menu. Food was well presented and perfectly cooked. I thought the prices were reasonable. The only overpriced item in my opinion is the small basket of bread for 2 at £3 -many restaurants, when you are spending around £50+ pp for dinner (including drinks) would include bread as complimentary item. I liked the decor - even the enormous black and white photos of himself which are so shamelessly self indulgent. We all enjoyed our first experience at this restaurant and have all agreed that we will return.

1  Thank dee090
MPWNewcastle, Host at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Dee090, we are very happy to know that you had a memorable experience and we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow Diners. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back very soon.

For future booking with us why not contact the restaurant on 0191 300 9 222

Best wishes

MPW Host

There are newer reviews for Marco Pierre White Steakhouse

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime but ordered from the a la carte. Definitely worth it! The surroundings are very pleasant, I was concerned upon walking in that it would feel like being in a hotel lobby, but once you're in the restaurant area it does feel separate. There was nobody at the maitre d station to meet and greet, and we had to wait for about five minutes for someone to show is to our table, bit disappointing but they were very busy.
Overall a lovely experience and we will be returning. The steak was fantastic!
I would absolutely recommend.

1  Thank happy75london
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Armed with my Living Social Deal voucher for afternoon tea (£16 for tea for 2?) I have to admit that I wasn't expecting too much, with pre-conceived idea that Mr White's establishment might be a bit snooty and serve us with a slice of bread and a stale scone for turning up with a voucher. I couldn't have been more wrong! From the moment that we stepped into the reception area of the hotel, with its bright and modern design, we were treated in a delightfully welcoming manner by every member of staff, from George to the lovely young lady and young man who kept topping us up with champagne! The afternoon tea was amazing and defeated us! The sandwiches were delicious and there were scones (5!) clotted cream, jam, Victoria Sponge, eclairs, fruit tarts and raspberry mousse, served in dinky little teacups. We had a large pot of tea each and when we asked for a cup of coffee, that we wanted to pay for, we were told that we could have it for free! To top it off, the half price bottle of champagne made our afternoon , but not as much as the lovely staff, who have clearly been extremely well trained; they were attentive, friendly, helpful and anything but 'snooty'. We shall return very soon, without a voucher, for a top-notch afternoon tea and bottle of bubbly. Well done Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill!

1  Thank P0sitiveTraveller
MPWNewcastle, Host at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review and kind words about the staff. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Marco pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Newcastle in the near future.

Best Wishes

Host

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I went to this restaurant with a group of friends for a saturday lunch after having heard glowing references and I must admit I was rather disappointed with both the service and the food offerings.

The starters are overpriced, beetroot salad with goats cheese and walnuts consisted of some extremely thinly sliced beetroot, a barely visible sprinkling of crumbled goats cheese and half a walnut crushed up and the surprise addition of a piece of clingfilm too. No dressing and the whole offering was overpriced and tasteless. The restaurant manager did come over to apologise for the extra clingfilm after I pointed it out to him ( and I managed to avoid him actually poking his finger on my plate to pick it up by quickly lifting it myself with my knife !!) and he came back to inform me that the dish is prepared in advance and wrapped in clingfilm before putting in the fridge.... as if that was then ok ?? There is something called a 'pass ' in restaurants, someone should have spotted the clingfilm on the beetroot before I found it, it was clearly visible after all !

The starter of Bressola and mozzarella was also tiny, 3 small slices of bressola and 3 tiny pieces of cheese, tasty but again overpriced for what was offered.

Our 3rd starter of parma ham and avocado, was also a huge disappointment, parma ham was nice ( not much you can go wrong there) but the 3 tiny pieces of avocado that were 'artfully' draped or perhaps just chucked around the parma ham were inedible as the avocado was simply not ripe and trying to cut into it made your knife bounce off. Again we mentioned the disappointment with this plate to the restaurant manager this time to be given a lenghty explanation how you can always recognise a chef in a supermarket as he will be squeezing the avocados to check for ripeness. I found it rather difficult to see the point of this explanation as the chef had obviously not done his job this time round when selecting the avocado on my plate !

The next 'surprise' came when we asked for the bill, the two 'problem' starters were still on there, with the addition of an extra latte we had not ordered. When we beckoned someone over and said we wanted to query the bill, she said without us having actually mentioned anything about the extra cafe latte : ' ah yes, the extra latte on there, I will take it off' Well excuse me, but IF they knew they overcharged us, why did they not mention it before and left it upto us to discover the overcharge ?

In the end, one of the starters was taken off the invoice too, but I am rather surprised that the customer service was this bad and dining guest are not treated like the valued customers we are,

Of our group of 3 friends, we dine out frequently in quality restaurants in Newcastle, London and Edinburgh and I have to admit that this was one of our more disappointing ones, and we will not be returning and if asked can not even recommend it and I am even more surprised that Mr White has lend his name to an eatery that is at best mediocre in service, quality and presentation. Perhaps he should make a surprise visit or send one of his staff to check the standard of this restaurant.

As an additional comment, may I suggest that this restaurant also changes the typeset of the menu, the print is nausiating as the letters are squigly and make it hard to read without having to turn your head away after each line ( we are in mid 30's with perfect eyesight and it was daylight, how do people cope when it's dark I am not sure, perhaps they just point at the first thing on the menu and hope for the best)

All in all, there are much better restaurants in Newcastle where for the same price you can eat wonderful food in a much nicer atmosphere and were the customer is still treated nicely instead of as an afterthought.

Dear Guest, thank you for your detailed and thorough review. We were disappointed to learn that there were a few areas that failed to meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we have shared your feedback with the relevant people, so that any issues may be addressed accordingly. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and hope that a future visit to Marco Pierre White steakhouse Bar & Grill will meet all expectations. As always, all feedback is important and it is essential that we are made aware of our mistakes.

I would be most grateful if you would be so kind as to call The restaurant Manager in order to discuss this matter further. (0191 300 9222)

Host

Reviewed June 10, 2013

went for afternoon tea got to say great place loved all the pictures of the master him self. food sandwiches cakes scones with cream yum yum staff very attentive just the thing after a day shopping. the only problem we had was when pot of tea arrived it had a giant black hair on the teapot pointed this out to waitress she pick teapot up and said I will change it no apologia but would still go back again as food fab