“Very slow Service”

County Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very slow Service”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Went here today on 23rd March on a living Social Voucher, as this was booked for 2.30 we were a bit early and was shown to our table, the waitress showed us the menu and drinks menu, she came back about 10 mins later and took our orders. After about 15 further minutes I had to ask for our bottle of wine which hadn't arrived yet! I mean how long do you have to wait for a bottle of wine! Our starters then came which was presented very nice I had the Ham Hock and hubby had the tomato soup, by this time I Was getting very agitated and could not enjoy the starter at all because we still had not received our wine. About 15 minutes later they cleared our plates ,and about 10 minutes later our mains arrived we both had the beef which was a bit pink but was ok, and vegetables in a separate bowl, I couldn't believe there were no greens whatsoever except for one green bean and one piece of cauliflower which my husband took, the gravy bowl was just plonked on the table without any gravy boat hence the stain on the tablecloth! Then our wine arrived which was plonked on the table, the waitress did apologise for the delay, but wine wasn't even poured out for us or in a cooler! We asked for the bill as soon as we had finished I didn't want to stay any longer or have a desert as we would have had to wait even longer. We paid our bill and then had to pay £3 for our car being parked, we did not have to pay the last time we were there. I did take it out on the male receptionist which I regret as it wasn't his fault he asked if I wanted to speak to the manager which I said I wouldn't bother as I wouldn't be returning but I would certainly be notifying trip advisor. My apologise to the receptionist, but won,t be returning even on a Living Social Voucher, my husband seems to think we were treat differently because of the voucher, but the place would be empty without these vouchers, very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to us at Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was very disappointed to learn that you were not entirely satisfied when dining with for Sunday Lunch. Please be assured that the level of service received by our guests is never a reflection on how or indeed how much they have paid. I can see from your previous reviews that you joined us for Sunday Lunch last year on a Living Social deal and that you found the food and service to be of a very high standard. Please accept my apologies for the slow service you received on this occasion. As you can see from previous reviews, we regularly receive excellent feedback about the efficiency of the team here at The County and the high standard of service they deliver. Please be assured that there is always a Duty Manager on hand who I am confident, had they been made aware of your dissatisfaction would have tried their utmost to rectify the situation.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion over the car parking charges. There were intermittent issues with the car park barrier system last time you visited us and complimentary car parking was offered because of this. The normal charge for our car park is from £3 per hour up to £10 for 24hours which I am sure you will agree is very reasonable for city centre car parking.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and I do hope this experience will not put you off returning. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Location: Directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and easy to reach from the South by road. Also easy access to Metro system for travelling around the area. Newcastle nightlife within a few yards walk - and it is lively at night! And about 10-15 minutes walk to St. James's Park for the football.

Ambience: An old-fashioned railway hotel with two wings. Facilities include a bar (open to public) with wide-screen TV's (although as usual you can't hear a thing from them!) and free Wi-Fi which was very fast. Parking is limited and first come first served.

Room: Small double OK for one but two might struggle for space, although bed is fine. Spacious bathroom with bath/shower combo. Was warm on cold nights but no air con so I'd imagine it'll be hot in summer. Large screen wall-mounted TV. Despite an O'Neill's being next door & a wedding reception on the first floor the only noise I was aware of was the cooing of birds in the eaves (on 5th floor)

Restaurant: Only used it for breakfast given proximity to many more varied & cheaper eating out options. Breakfast excellent with full English & continental options.

Staff: Without exception were efficient & very friendly - top marks for Lucy who looked after me at the bar for two evenings and Robyn who combined a late bar shift with next morning's breakfast stint.

Room Tip: I suspect rooms that overlook the car park would be quieter than those at the front.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our location to be convenient for all that Newcastle has to offer. Whether you are travelling to Newcastle on business or for a city break, our hotel is conveniently located in the city centre with excellent transport links. Being just a stones throw away from all that Newcastle has to offer including an extensive array of bars and restaurants is a great advantage for our guests.

It is great to read that you found the facilities at The County to be good and in particular our complimentary Wi-Fi to be fast.

I was pleased to note that you found the bed in your room to comfortable and the bathroom to be spacious. Our small double rooms have a 4ft bed as opposed to a 4ft6 bed that you would find in one of our standard double rooms. These are perfect as a base whilst exploring the city or whilst travelling on your own for business. We do have a selection of room types available and should you prefer to stay in a room which is more spacious, our Executive Double rooms would be perfect. These rooms add a touch of luxury to any stay, without compromising on value. On your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact our reception team direct who I am confident would be happy help in finding you the perfect room to suit your requirements.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our breakfast offering. I was very pleased to note that you found breakfast to be excellent with a great selection of both Full English hot buffet items and cold continental items. With such a great selection of high quality produce available, we feel that our breakfast offering is excellent value for money.

I was very pleased to read your feedback relating to the team. All of the team here work very hard to ensure each of our guests enjoy their stay with us and that they would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle. Please be assured that I will personally pass on your comments to the team, especially Lucy and Robyn who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed here recently for a single night. The service and manner of the staff itself are lovely, they are very friendly and happy to help. The room itself was not so good, I've stayed here a couple of times and every time the room has been weirdly hot without the radiators being on and I can barely open the window. Other than this I had no problems, it just prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. I would recommend solely for the convenience of being near the train station, great for travelers who don't know the area.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and our location to be convenient.

I was surprised to learn that despite the radiators being turned off, your room was still too hot and that you had difficulty opening the window. Please accept my apologies if this caused you any discomfort during your stay. We do have a selection of rooms which face our courtyard car park. These rooms are not in direct sunlight and can therefore be cooler. On your next visit please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team prior to your arrival who I am confident would be able to find you a room to best suit your requirements. Please be assured that during your stay, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day to assist in making sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Should you require assistance in opening the original sash windows, a fan or lighter bedding, please do not hesitate to contact them via Reception.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Yarm
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Instead of driving to Newcastle for a concert at The Academy and then driving straight back, we chose to overnight at The Thistle. The big thing for us was that there’s parking available on-site, although there’s not necessarily loads of it; it’s easy to find and the car park is easy to get into, which is unusual for Newcastle. It’s also just over the road from the station, so would be ideal if travelling by train.

Our room wasn’t ready on arrival, but leaving the car wasn’t a problem and the friendly reception staff put our luggage into storage and we had a wander to the Jazz Café around the corner for a spot of (tasty and reasonably priced) lunch. On returning to the hotel, we checked in, liberated our luggage and investigated our room on the top floor which overlooked the station.

Whilst not the biggest room in the world, it was clean, warm, contained everything we needed and had a good view over some of the city. Despite overlooking the station and main road, it was also surprisingly quiet, although we were also supplied with some ear-plugs and a nice note explaining that as we were in the city centre, there may be some noise, hence the ear-plugs. After a good night’s sleep in a comfy bed, the ear-plugs remained unused and the noise level had been absolutely fine.

The included self-serve buffet breakfast was possibly the best I’ve had from a chain hotel, both in terms of variety and quality. I always rated the MacDonald Roxburgh in Edinburgh as the best hotel breakfast I’ve had, but this was easily on a par, as well as being a third of the price! As with our stay throughout, the waiting staff were friendly and accommodating. The only disappointment was the inability of my stomach to accommodate any more delicious food, despite loosening the belt one notch…

Check-out was quick and we were told we could leave our car in the car-park until later in the day, which was a welcome bonus and gave us a few extra hours in which to mooch around the city.

All in all, a cracking overnight stay and definitely a better way to enjoy a night at a gig in town. Recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel overlook main roads, but noise was not an issue for us. Rooms facin...
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read such a positive review of our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted you visited the O2 Academy which is only a short walk from us and it is great to read that you found our location and car parking facilities convenient for your visit to Newcastle. Not only are we in a great location for access by car but being directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and Metro station is a great advantage for our guests.

It is great to read such positive feedback about the team. All members of the team here at The County work hard to ensure our guests enjoy their time with us and that they would wish to return to our hotel on their next visit to Newcastle. I will personally ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the team.

Thank you for your kind comments about your room. I was pleased to note that you found your room to be warm and welcoming with a high standard of cleanliness throughout and that most importantly, you had a great nights sleep! This is great to hear!

I was delighted to note that you were able to have breakfast with us during your stay and that you found it an enjoyable experience with an excellent selection of good quality produce. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification and a received exceptional feedback following this.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst going to see Russell Howard.

My boyfriend and I arrived and found the car park easily using a sat nav where luckily on our stay there were ample spaces. We went into reception and were told that we could leave our car and come back later to check in as our room was not yet ready (we were very early) and the receptionist was very chatty and friendly.

When we came back later to check in we were given a room facing the back which I've read is better and we had no issues with noise outside. We could hear people walk past our room on occasions but nothing that caused much disruption. The room was really large with a huge king size bed. The room and bedding in our king room was very clean which is what you are looking for! Only complaint was the bath mat in the room which I didn't use due to it having hairs on that weren't mine or my boyfriends and a was a little mouldy but that was just me being extremely picky!

The hotel is perfect for visiting the metro arena and is in walking distance which was perfect.

We had breakfast which was really nice and plentiful, all you can eat with cooked option, fruit and cereal. Really enjoyed mine!

I would definitely book again when going to the arena! I would also recommend to others!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you had chosen to stay with us at Thistle for your visit to Newcastle and that you enjoyed your time with us. It is great to note that you found the on-site car parking to be convenient and the team to helpful and friendly.

It is great to read that you found the room to be peaceful, spacious and of a high standard of cleanliness. Our King sized rooms are very popular for the extra space they provide. I was surprised to note that you found the bath mat could have been cleaner. Our housekeeping team work very hard to ensure our high standards of cleanliness are maintained at all times. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will ensure this issue is looked into as a matter of urgency.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our convenient location and our excellent breakfast offering. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification and have received exceptional feedback following this. As you can see from previous reviews, our breakfast is very popular with our guests and I was delighted to receive your positive feedback.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Booked into a double room and thought they'd put us in a single room..double bed was very small and we wouldn't have coped...upgraded to a twin room at an extra cost...the room was lovely nice and big and in a nice quiet part of the hotel the hotel itself is ideally located straight across from the station and suited our needs perfectly... A most enjoyable stay I would recommend it

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to note that you were happy with your upgrade to a twin room. We do have a selection of room types available, varying from single rooms up to a Junior Suite. One of the available room types is a small double room. From reading your review, it seems you had originally booked one of these rooms. Our small double rooms have a 4ft bed as opposed to a standard 4ft6 double bed. These are perfect as a base whilst exploring the city or travelling on business. Our executive suites add a touch of luxury to any stay without compromising on value. On your next visit to Newcastle, please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team direct who I am confident would be more than happy to help find a room to best suit your needs.

It was great to read that you found our hotel to be conveniently located for your visit. Being within short walking distance of all that Newcastle has to offer and directly opposite Newcastle Central Station is a great advantage for our guests.

England
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We attended the Thistle for Sunday Lunch on arriving we found that they do have a car park it is £3.00 first hour then an extra £1.00 for two hours so we paid £4.00. The hotel is across the road from the train station. We entered the restaurant to hear the lovely piano playing it was really nice a lovely touch really enjoyed listening to the young man playing. We were escorted to our table, nice clean white table cloths very nice and ordered drinks the staff are very nice and will go out their way to help in anyway. The food was well presented we had a starter a main and desert all lovely could not fault the food perfect well done the all kitchen staff. very nice. Please keep the pianist thoroughly enjoy his music and made the meal extra special. Would go back again. We did not sleep here but some how there are four dots for sleeping but can not get them off.

4 Thank Angalina
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read that you joined us for Sunday Lunch and that you found the food and service to be faultless. Our chef takes great pride in offering a traditional home cooked Sunday roast served in the magnificent surroundings of our Mozart Suite complimented by gentle background music from the pianist. It is great to receive such excellent feedback and I will personally ensure this is passed on to the team.