“great spring break”

County Hotel
coggeshall
“great spring break”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

stayed here with friends for 3 days staff were efficient and friendly check in was quick
breakfast was good with many choices and although buffet style was freshly cooked we ate once in the evening this was excellent and good value. The staff in the bar were efficient and friendly. The rooms had everything required and were very clean and well decorated. One of our party had a problem with his room and was moved quickly to an upgraded room. All in all the hotel added to our enjoyment of our stay and we would certainly stay here again. We visited Newcastle Races which we highly recommend. We did not participate in the open top bus tour as the last one was at 14.30 which we found a bit early especially for a hop on hop off. Otherwise Newcastle is a great city

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hilcrossEssex
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the Thistle Newcastle.

I was very pleased to note that you found all of the team to be pleasant, efficient and professional and that you approved of the standard of the bedroom and the way in which the team handled a specific situation. We all know that mistakes can happen, but it is good to know that when the team are made aware of a situation or a problem, they usually have the autonomy to correct it.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Booked into Single Room for one night before holiday to Spain.
Basic comfortable room stones throw from Metro to airport.

In my rush to get early train, I accidentally left envelope with 300 Euros on bedroom table!
After an e-mail to hotel, all I could do was wait till holiday ended and return to County to see
what had happened.

The money was found and handed in to reception for collection upon my return.

Very pleased with the staff's honesty and would return again.

P. B.
Edinburgh

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank meconicuk
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide fellow Tripadvisor members with feedback following your recent stay with us at the Thistle Newcastle.

I was very pleased to learn that you found the rooms to be comfortable and made use of our excellent links with the airport by using the adjacent Metro.

I am pleased that upon receiving your e mail, the head housekeeper made sure that your lost property was ready for collection as agreed. Thank you for your confidence in the team - many of whom have been employed by Thistle for a number of years.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope that despite the initial worry of leaving your money, you had an enjoyable trip to Spain.

York
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visting Newcastle for a concert at the Metro Arena. Literally just over the road to the railway station and within walking distance of the Arena (10 min walk). Lovely hotel room with extra large double bed, giant TV and everything was exceptionally clean.Room was located at the back of the hotel and overlooked the air conditioning units but this did not keep us awake as there was excellent double glazing. All the staff were friendly and pleasant and helpful (especially David on the bar - he went the extra mile!). We had lunch in the hotel bar - lovely! and ordered room service later that night - lovely! We would certainly book this hotel again when we come up to Newcastle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen142
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle, Newcastle.

I was really pleased to learn of your satisfaction.

Our central location is ideal for all that Newcastle has to offer, especially being in walking distance to the Sage Gateshead, Metro Radio Arena, City Hall and o2 Academy.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the room and the team - David was thrilled to see his name on Tripadvisor! Thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County should you return to Newcastle in the future.

UK
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here in the middle of April to watch Newcastle play Benfica.

Its a great location for getting around. I found the staff were really pleasant and friendly.

Particularly Ashley in the lower bar, she worked hard to make everyone feel welcome even though it was coming to the end of her shift

Great location in a lovley city

Thanks

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SteveUK07
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your stay with us at the Thistle Newcastle.

Our central location is ideal for all of the city highlights, including being within a ten minute walk to St James Park. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendliness of the team - I am really pleased that we made your stay in Newcastle a memorable one.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights there this last week and had to move rooms 3 times. Room booked was a double and the first one offered was a single bed so I asked to move. Was given a room at back of the hotel where if you opened the window then you could hear the boiler ticking away. This hotel has no air con so on this day needed to keep window open. Was offered a further room (an upgrade) which clearly had not been used for a while as there was dust everywhere. The bathroom tap kept dripping all nght. Also we had a meal in the hotel which was awful. Fish and chips but the batter wasnt cooked at all. Apology offered but put me off from eating there the next night. Bar was very expensive. I will not stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, the County.

I was very sorry to note that you did not enjoy your stay at the Hotel. I have forwarded you a private message to ask for further details of your reservation so that I can investigate in greater depth.

Please accept my apologies for any shortfalls and be assured that this is not the usual service and standard we offer to our guests. We do have a Guest Relations Manager available 24 hours a day who can be contacted via reception and I am sure if they had been made aware of your dissatisfaction they would have been more than willing to try to rectify these issues for you.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We book a small double bedroom as it was only for one night. We thought the room would be small but did not expect the bed to be small only 4 feet wide, we didn't really notice until we got back from pub or would have paid to ungrade. Did speak to the receptionist in the morning who was very nice who said it was in the small print. So be careful
Appart from that excellent location, claen and good breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't take small double (they also sell it as large single)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our rooms vary from the large and lofty executive rooms to the compact and cosy small double rooms. Our rooms are not uniformed like the new builds of today and this can add to the charm of the building. We name our rooms dependant on room size, however we try to be as detailed as we can about our small double rooms and we do advise to our guests that there is a 4ft bed in the room rather than a standard double bed wherever possible. Many of the main on line travel agents use the information and descriptions we provide, however there are certain agents where we have little control over content until we are made aware of an error. My colleague is currently auditing the main websites to ensure our bedrooms are described correctly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am pleased to note that you approved of the central location and found the cleanliness and breakfast to be good.

Thank you for your comments and we hope you will visit us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Convenient for the station and that's about it. The first room I was offered was in front of the neon Thistle sign on the first floor. They upgraded me to a junior suite on the 5th floor. No minibar, no kettle or coffee making facilities. The shower over the bath didn't work, for the internet you had to register with BT - that didn't work either! Someone next door woke at 5 and did very noisy exercises for about an hour - thin walls. Breakfast fruit was a bit of melon, sliced apples in sugared water and the rest was tinned prunes etc. Pretty grim - but we had a meeting there. So many better hotels in Newcastle.

Room Tip: As high as you can and at the back, away from the Street and the Station
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, the County.

I can confirm that the County is a three star property. This rating has been awarded by the AA and recently verified during an overnight stay. The County has had three star status for a number of years and we do not claim to be or advertise ourselves as a four star hotel. I am sorry if you were lead to believe this at some stage.

I can confirm that there is a kettle and a full range of tea and coffee making facilities available in all of our rooms. We do not offer or advertise a mini bar facility. I can confirm that the shower in the Junior Suite was in good working order upon inspection following the receipt of your feedback. I am sorry if you had difficulty operating it and confident that the team would have been more than happy to assist upon request.

I am sorry that you did not approve of our breakfast offering. As well as a full range of hot food and eggs cooked to order on request, we offer a range of freshly baked pastries, breads, yogurts, juices and cereals. Our fruit selection includes a fresh fruit bowl with whole fruits, with the chilled range including honeydew melon, water melon, grapefruit halves, fresh fruit salad, prunes, berry compote and a selection of dried fruit. Should you require anything additional during your stay, the team are more than willing to assist where possible.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.