“Expensive Wifi”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
“Expensive Wifi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business. I frequently have to stay in hotels for work and have to say that I won't re-book this one because the BT openzone WiFi is just too expensive. Most other hotels offer some sort of wifi service for free which is perfect for working in your room. The staff were lovely, very friendly and attentive. My room was in need ofredredecoration, with worn carpet and rusty bathroom fittings. Great location but then there are other, better hotels near by.

• Stayed October 2012
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel.

I was sorry to learn that you found our wireless internet to be expensive. Thistle have recently launched its very own loyalty programme entitled Signature. This gives our regular guests great rewards for staying with Thistle, including immediate internet access once signed up to the programme at the reception desk. Should you wish to find out more about the programme, please visit the Thistle web site.

We are constantly upgrading the hotel facilities which most recently has included new bedroom carpets, curtains and the redecoration of all bedrooms. Please accept my apologies if your room was not to the standard expected.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team at the hotel. This is greatly appreciated.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Steven Devine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My first experience of the County Hotel as a guest, and my last. The room was pokey and cold - heating scarcely worked. Plus the bathroom could not be heated. For good measure, to access the room, coming from the lift, it was necessary to schlep my suitcases up and down a series of steps. Not convenient internally then, for all that the location opposite Newcastle Central Station is handy.

• Stayed October 2012
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really pleased to learn that you chose to stay with us, however sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay.

As our hotel was built in the late 1800's, it is not as uniformed as some of the new builds of today. Our rooms range from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy and are priced according to the size of the room. The addition of en suite bathrooms and the removal of fireplaces in the 1970's has also changed the layout of the building and as our hotel was expanded some 20 years after originally opening, there are a few small sets of internal stairs. The team are more than happy to assist with luggage as required and we do have a large selection of rooms which are free from steps to access. These rooms may be requested as necessary.

I am confident that if a member of the tem or the Guest Relations Manager had been made aware of the difficulties you were having with your bedroom heating they would have been more than happy to assist you at the time.

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

I do hope that you will decide to stay with us again the next time you visit Newcastle.

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay with my hubby. Hotel ideal for travelling by train, central for pubs, clubs and shopping.
Hotel rooms could be doing with an upgrade but not that you wouldn't want to stay in them. Breakfast was great, lots of choice. Noise at night could be a problem from the pubs and bars but earplugs did the trick for my husband, but what can u expect from a hotel which is central to everything!
Would definitely stay there again and recommed it.

• Stayed October 2012
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay at the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was delighted to learn that you decided to stay with us for a weekend break and that you found our central location to be ideal. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our buffet breakfast - I am really pleased that you enjoyed the choices available.

Thank you for your recommendation to fellow Tripadvisor members and we look forward to being of service to you when you return to Newcastle.

East of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My weekly commute this week took me to the County Hotel by Thistle in Newcastle, a hotel which I had only stayed at once before for a single night, which is a little short to base a review upon, but this time I had a full three night stay.

Location is ideal if you travel to the city by train, as it really is only a 1 minute walk from the station, which is actually opposite the hotel. From here it is only a 5-10 minute walk to the town centre, or there is a plentiful supply of public transport options, including buses, metro and taxi's. From this perspective it is ideal, but there is a downside. The station area seems to be a meeting place for the early morning drunks that roll out of bars and are generally noisy. For me, staying mid week this was not a great problem, but I would imagine that at the weekends this is likely to be a problem.

The hotel lobby is well lit, and furnished in the classical style, which downstairs looks very stylish and well appointed. Check in was smooth, and the staff at the desk (even as I arrived at 11pm) was friendly, helpful and pleasant. A very short walk and you arrive at the lifts, where I took the lift to the fifth floor. The lift is one of the slowest I have ever used, taking about 35-40 seconds to get to the top, but it was very quiet and smooth and clean, although the decor is very dated.

Corridors are clean and tidy, if a little gloomy from the traditional style lighting, and again the decoration style is looking very tired and dated. There is nothing wrong with the decor, but compared to other hotels in the area, which have adopted a much more modern and boutique style, the County hotel feels like a hotel from the 80's. Room entry was via a card system and worked first time and every time!

The room itself follows a similar theme, in that although there is nothing wrong with it, the general decoration and style is very dated and tired. My room comprised a double bed, desk, wall mounted tv, bathroom with sink, bath and over bath shower.

Firstly, I must say the bed is one of the most comfortable I have slept in over the years of staying in hotels, and I give them top marks for this, but the remainder of the experience was not as good as it could have been.

The TV on the wall was not only a very old model, but the picture quality was fuzzy and the sound quite poor, but worse than all of this is the poor selection of channels available. Most of the hotels in the area now provide a full set of Freeview channels which is enough for most people, but this hotel provides a subset of those channels. Yes you get the standard 1-5, plus the news channels etc, but there is little variety of the others. Add the poor picture/sound and the lack of choice, makes the overall experience poor.

The bathroom, whilst clean, was in my opinion too big, yet the space was poorly utilised. The bath was the standard shallow and short affair, which when you are 6ft 3 inches tall is just unusable as a bath. Over the bath is a shower, which worked fine, and the water was nice and hot, but the bathroom employed something I detest, and that is a shower curtain. It always flaps about, get's stuck to the wall, get's stuck to you and is a pain!!! Next to the bath is a small sink which was fine, and next to this the toilet. The other end of the bathroom had enough space to fit another bath in! I would have been a good idea to put a walk in shower cubicle in this space, which would have been good, but as it is, it was just wasted space. The towel rail provided warm towels which was good!

Breakfast is served in the main restaurant, and I have no overall complaints about this. There is a good selection of pastries, cereals and cooked food. I found the overall quality to be reasonable and good, and the staff were helpful and friendly. The food serving area again looks dated, but its perfectly fine. Tables and chairs were comfortable and at the right height for eating food. I can't comment on the value of the breakfast as it was included in my rate for the hotel.

Check out was a little slow, as there was only one person on the desk, and as usual around 7.30-8.00am it seems everyone is checking out, but when I did check out it was simple and quick.

So, overall, this is not a bad hotel, it sports a really comfortable bed, and the facilities are ok, but it is in desperate need of a make over. It is like stepping back in time into a world of old fashioned wallpaper, wooden fixtures and fittings etc, and for some that may be ideal, but after experiencing hotels like the Indigo and Sandman Signature (I appreciate these are more costly per night) it shows what a stark difference there is between the hotels. Those hotels are bright and fresh with modern looks to them, but the County is lagging behind.

Would I stay there again? Given the dated looks and the poor TV service, no I would not, but then I would say it's not a bad hotel, just very average.

Room Tip: Rooms which do not face the station are better, since you will not be subjected to the drunken choru...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was pleased to note that you found our central location, directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and within walking distance to all of the city amenities to be favourable and I was also pleased to learn that you found the lobby area and team to be welcoming upon arrival.

Thank you for your comments regarding the comfort of the bed. In order to enhance our guest sleep experience we are currently purchasing mattress toppers and pillows. These will be rolled out into our executive rooms first then into our standard rooms - making our beds even more comfortable.

All of our bedroom TV's have recently been replaced and are flat screen models. I have personally carried out spot check on a number of TV sets throughout the property and can confirm that all are in good working order, I can only assume that there may have been a loose connection from the aerial to the TV in the room which you occupied which may have caused problems with the picture and sound. Please accept my apologies for this. I can also confirm that our TVs have a full 'Freeview' selection offering 42 channels.

As our hotel was built in the late 1800's, our room sizes vary from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy. As bathrooms were not originally en suite, they were added in the 1970's by using the original shared bathrooms or by using an adjacent bedroom to provide en suite bathrooms. Due to this, our bathroom sizes do vary. Our bedrooms have recently been redecorated, new bedroom curtains fitted and a number of bedroom carpets have been replaced. Our shower curtains have also recently been replaced and are now fitted with small magnets at the base of the curtain to hold it in place whilst showering.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our breakfast service and choices available.

I am pleased to note that apart from your personal preference to the decor, you had an enjoyable stay with us and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you return to Newcastle.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Just stayed at this hotel with my parents and it was great. My mum is in a wheelchair and they had a wheelchair accessable room with a walk in shower. I must say I fully recommend this hotel for anyone who is disabled it is well thought out and has loads of room. My room was a double and it too was a lovely room and we both a nice view onto the main street over looking the train station. The location was good as it is right in the town centre with loads of shops, restaurants, bars and coffee shops in the area. The breakfast was cooked fresh all the time and was really nice in fact one of the best I have had in a hotel. All the staff are friendly and welcoming and the hotel has a really nice buzz about it.

Room Tip: I was in room 211 which had a good view of the main street and got the afternoon sun.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us and that you enjoyed your experience. The location of our hotel is ideal for all that Newcastle has to offer.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the standard of our accessible room, the quality of our breakfast and the friendliness of the team.

We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed in the County Hotel by Thistle as I always do when I visit Newcastle on business. This is a very good hotel and without doubt, good value for money. Considering its location which is close to the bustling main line station, I always get a solid night’s sleep to an eerie quietness which is unusual in a big city. Ate there last night and apart from a small misunderstanding with the Caesar Salad the food was great. Breakfast is definitely worth getting up for and comes with lots of choices. I will undoubtedly stay there again. Great hotel with friendly staff!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nickerty
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay at the County Hotel, Newcastle and thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel - it is really appreciated.

Being one of the original hotels in the city, we know what our business guests need when they are away from home, from the friendliness of the team and a genuine welcome, to the central location, ideal for transportation around the city and local area, we always try to ensure our guests leave us with good memories of their stay - and if there is a problem, there are people at hand to rectify it there and then.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your dinner and breakfast. I will ensure that these are fed back to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Never before have I seen a bathroom door that opens and touches the sink. Shower control poor. Rooms are not a good size. A handy location for anyone arriving by train or going to watch football at nearby ST James' Park. Bar service was very pleasant. Breakfast/dining room area was very small with most tables only for two. Did not like the fried food on offer: poor scrambled egg, bacon done on one side only and I did not attempt to eat the sausages. Staff were pleasant enough and we had one evening meal there that was OK but a bit overpriced in my view for what was on offer.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our bedroom sizes do vary from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy. Our rates are set according to the bedroom size with the smallest of our room types being at the lower end of the tariff. Unfortunately as the bedrooms were not originally fitted with bathrooms, they were added in the 1970's making use of the space as best possible making the shape and size of our bathrooms a little inconsistent.

I am pleased to note that you found the central location to be of benefit.

Thank you for your comments regarding the service that you received at the bar and I am sorry that you felt that the breakfast area was too small. After further investigation, I can confirm that the hotel was hosting the accommodation for a large city conference and as all of the delegates were leaving at the same time, they all chose to take breakfast at the same time, which had an impact on the space available. I am pleased to note that the team anticipated this and split the larger tables to increase seating availability, thus the reason the amount of tables for two. I am sorry if this inconvenienced you in any way.

I appreciate that you were a member of the conference and thank you for providing me with further information so that I could investigate your comments. I am unsure if you will be visiting Newcastle again, however should you choose to do so, I do hope that you will decide to stay with us at the County.