County Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Breakfast included
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Pool
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
Chasley Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Sleeperz Hotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
Friars Gate Luxury Apartments(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Spa
  • Pool
Roomzzz Newcastle City(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Breakfast included
Motel One Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,165 results
All reviewsdirectly opposite the stationtrain stationcar parkstreet noiseexcellent locationcity centrebit datedstayed for one nightbuffet stylehotel barbars and restaurantsthistlenewcastleearplugsnightlifehairdryerarena
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2012

we stayed at the county for four nights 4 september till the 8 we enjoyed the four nights had dinner the rest staff where great meal was perfect also room clean breakfast staff epsecaly brigend i think that was her name would recomend the county handy for metro center staition shops eating out stayed here twice before and will again in the future all staff are excellent credit to thistle hotels

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle in Newcastle.

I was really pleased to learn of your satisfaction with your stay and the food provided. I will ensure that Brigit and the breakfast team receive a copy of your feedback. Comments such as yours are a great motivator for the team and are appreciated.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend whilst visiting Newcastle for a friend's birthday.

The hotel was in a perfect location for the part of town we were visiting. Parking spaces are limited, but we were lucky enough to get a space! The hotel charged £10 per night for the space.

Check-in was quick and the staff were friendly and polite. The foyet area is nicely decorated, modern and clean.

Our room was a small double room, but it was fine for what we wanted. Very clean, quiet and comfortable, the blackout curtains were great. The bathroom was also very clean and a decent size. There was a large LCD TV in our room which was great.

Our room (and the hallways on our floor) was in need of modernising. It's starting to get old and would benefit from a freshen up (new carpet, etc). Saying that, it certainly isn't bad, it's just not as nice as the reception area.

When returning to the hotel at night you have to show your keycard and confirm your name. I guess this is because there are so many passers by trying to get into the hotel. However, this wasn't really an inconvenience and it's reassuring to know they try to keep the hotel secure.

Overall, I'd certainly stay here again if in the area again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter as you can't hear the hubbub on the street below.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay at the County.

I was really pleased to learn that you approved of our central location - it is ideal for walking around the city as well as using the Metro to visit further afield. I was also pleased to note that you found the check in experience to be prompt and the team were friendly and polite.

Thank you for your comments regarding the bedroom which you were allocated.

At weekends, in order to keep the hotel safe and secure we do employ additional security to ensure that order is maintained. I am pleased that you approved of this and found it reassuring as a guest.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we do hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you next visit Newcastle.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Lets start with the positive - location (if you travel by train)
Check in = slow
Room size = a joke bathroom door one inch from touching the sink,double bed not a double,tv channels didn't work internet didn't work
You can hear people walking & talking outside your room all night as the rooms are that small
Breakfast = poor over cooked beans,over cooked eggs ,over cooked fried bread (grease) never seen bacon cooked when folded in two burnt on one side & undercooked on the other
Avoid avoid avoid
Nearly forgot the service
Bar = so slow it was unbeliveable & only 5 in the bar
Restaurant = great if you want the waiter to call you 'mate' every time he spoke to you

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brogue2125
Thistlehotels, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was pleased to note that you approved of our central location, however I was really sorry to learn of your overall dissatisfaction.

As the County was built in 1874, our room sizes vary from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy. The original hotel did not have en suite bathrooms and these were added during the 1970's utilizing the best space available. Because of this our rooms are all vary in size - with no two rooms being alike. This adds to the charm of the building and makes a pleasant change from the generic new builds of the current era.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast. We often receive very positive comments regarding the standard of food and the service offered at breakfast both in person and via recent reviews on Tripadvisor. Please accept my apologies that breakfast was not to your liking on this occasion.

As we are approaching our busy festive season, we have recently recruited some seasonal employees. We are currently in the process of carrying out training with the new team members which I believe may have been the reason for the service not being our usual high standard. I am sure that you will see from recent Tripadvisor reviews that the service regularly receives very positive comments from our guests.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future should you return to Newcastle.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel. There appears to be one rule for some guests and one rule for other guests particularly when it comes to the hotel parking. Now I had queried about the parking on more than one occasion and was told on each time it was a first come first served basis. When I eventually arrived at the hotel, I found out that 4 of the spaces had been reserved for a wedding taking place at the hotel that day. This is about 20% of the total spaces available for parking. Secondly I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful. I thought the bar prices were extortionate and because we were not prepared to pay them my partner had to go out for soft drinks in the early hours of the morning only to be questioned by the 'bouncers' on the door. Breakfast the following morning was poor and maybe our judgement was clouded by the extremely poor sleep we had due to the claustrophobic nature of the room which was also dirty. I have no illusions about Newcastle City Centre hotels (I know the city very well having been brought up there) and understand that due to the nature of the location there will be some noise however the Thistle did itself no favours in my eyes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really sorry to learn of your disappointment with your stay.

The hotel has 19 spaces which are chargeable and offered as available. The hotel policy is not to reserve car parking spaces so I can confirm that the information you received was correct. Should the car park be full, there are alternative spaces available close by at Grainger Town Car Park (free of charge between 5pm and 8am - 5 minute's walk away) and at the Central Station car park opposite (chargeable).

I am sorry that you found the team to be rude and unhelpful. This is certainly not the norm and I will be invetsigating.

Due to our central location, we do employ professional security on a Friday and Saturday evening until the early hours to ensure that order is maintained and that our guests and employees are in a safe and secure environment. It is part of the security teams remit to ask for identification upon entering the hotel after 11pm to ensure that only hotel guests are in the building.

I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at the County. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in order that we can show you the normal standard of service we aim to achieve

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Brought a group to the Thistle for a 6 day tour of Northumberland. Charming staff, great food and spotlessly clean throughout. I have been let down so many times by Hotels offering porterage, only to have to rush around the Hotel collecting luggage myself. Not this time : bags were brought down quickly and efficiently. Situated directly opposite the main Station, with everything just around the corner, makes this an ideal Hotel. I hope to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business