“Dreadful”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Lets start with the positive - location (if you travel by train)
Check in = slow
Room size = a joke bathroom door one inch from touching the sink,double bed not a double,tv channels didn't work internet didn't work
You can hear people walking & talking outside your room all night as the rooms are that small
Breakfast = poor over cooked beans,over cooked eggs ,over cooked fried bread (grease) never seen bacon cooked when folded in two burnt on one side & undercooked on the other
Avoid avoid avoid
Nearly forgot the service
Bar = so slow it was unbeliveable & only 5 in the bar
Restaurant = great if you want the waiter to call you 'mate' every time he spoke to you

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brogue2125
Thistlehotels, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was pleased to note that you approved of our central location, however I was really sorry to learn of your overall dissatisfaction.

As the County was built in 1874, our room sizes vary from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy. The original hotel did not have en suite bathrooms and these were added during the 1970's utilizing the best space available. Because of this our rooms are all vary in size - with no two rooms being alike. This adds to the charm of the building and makes a pleasant change from the generic new builds of the current era.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast. We often receive very positive comments regarding the standard of food and the service offered at breakfast both in person and via recent reviews on Tripadvisor. Please accept my apologies that breakfast was not to your liking on this occasion.

As we are approaching our busy festive season, we have recently recruited some seasonal employees. We are currently in the process of carrying out training with the new team members which I believe may have been the reason for the service not being our usual high standard. I am sure that you will see from recent Tripadvisor reviews that the service regularly receives very positive comments from our guests.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future should you return to Newcastle.

Steven Devine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel. There appears to be one rule for some guests and one rule for other guests particularly when it comes to the hotel parking. Now I had queried about the parking on more than one occasion and was told on each time it was a first come first served basis. When I eventually arrived at the hotel, I found out that 4 of the spaces had been reserved for a wedding taking place at the hotel that day. This is about 20% of the total spaces available for parking. Secondly I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful. I thought the bar prices were extortionate and because we were not prepared to pay them my partner had to go out for soft drinks in the early hours of the morning only to be questioned by the 'bouncers' on the door. Breakfast the following morning was poor and maybe our judgement was clouded by the extremely poor sleep we had due to the claustrophobic nature of the room which was also dirty. I have no illusions about Newcastle City Centre hotels (I know the city very well having been brought up there) and understand that due to the nature of the location there will be some noise however the Thistle did itself no favours in my eyes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really sorry to learn of your disappointment with your stay.

The hotel has 19 spaces which are chargeable and offered as available. The hotel policy is not to reserve car parking spaces so I can confirm that the information you received was correct. Should the car park be full, there are alternative spaces available close by at Grainger Town Car Park (free of charge between 5pm and 8am - 5 minute's walk away) and at the Central Station car park opposite (chargeable).

I am sorry that you found the team to be rude and unhelpful. This is certainly not the norm and I will be invetsigating.

Due to our central location, we do employ professional security on a Friday and Saturday evening until the early hours to ensure that order is maintained and that our guests and employees are in a safe and secure environment. It is part of the security teams remit to ask for identification upon entering the hotel after 11pm to ensure that only hotel guests are in the building.

I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at the County. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in order that we can show you the normal standard of service we aim to achieve

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Brought a group to the Thistle for a 6 day tour of Northumberland. Charming staff, great food and spotlessly clean throughout. I have been let down so many times by Hotels offering porterage, only to have to rush around the Hotel collecting luggage myself. Not this time : bags were brought down quickly and efficiently. Situated directly opposite the main Station, with everything just around the corner, makes this an ideal Hotel. I hope to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I first stayed at the County in Newcastle in 2010 - we selected the hotel on that occasion mostly based on the proximity to the railway station (you really couldn't get any closer). Myself and a friend stayed for a weekend and were quite happy with the hotel, so when I needed an overnight stop in Newcastle for myself and my father, I suggested booking the County.

Two years later and the hotel was just as good as the first visit. Well maintained, clean, nicely decorated rooms and reception areas. Nice firm mattress! Good, pleasant (and genuine) service.

The only downsides are (still) no free wifi in the rooms, and some street noise (this is difficult to avoid in Newcastle which can be 'party central' - particularly on weekends when the hens & bucks parties all descend on the city).

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide fellow travellers with a review of your recent stay at the County.

I was really pleased to note that you had stayed previously and decided to return and that you found that the standards were just as good as on your first visit.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the standard of cleanliness, the decoration and the genuine service.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay should you return to Newcastle.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ticked every box for us. Central location for seeing the sights of Newcastle, near the station, great room - no noise heard from outside, great breakfast great service. Had a great time. Faultless. :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I am really pleased that the hotel offered everything you needed during your visit to Newcastle. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the location of the hotel and our breakfast offering.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night at the County on 11th September. We chose it because it is only a 5-minute walk to the O2 Academy where we were going to see The Mission and The Cult, I know sad isn't it. The hotel is literally 30 seconds over the road from the train station. We drove and used the hotel car park for £10 for the night, be warned though there are only 19 spaces and you cannot reserve, there is a car park at the train station opposite. The reception staff and breakfast staff were all very friendly and welcoming. I requested a quiet room and theta was noted on booking in and we were given room 427 overlooking the rear courtyard and car park, very quiet indeed. The chef at breakfast put on a good spread of cereal, yoghurt, fruit, a few different breads, juice and a good full fried breakfast with a choice of eggs done 5 ways, although the black pudding was not to my taste, a bit dry and not peppery enough. The room was a decent size with a super king size bed and a very firm mattress which I like. However, the pillows were thin and did not offer enough support for me, I ended up with 2 pillows and the cushion from the chair. I'm sure housekeeping would have supplied more pillows if requested but at midnight and after a few drinks at the concert I couldn't be bothered ringing and waiting. The bathroom was very good; a large bath with a powerful shower. The shower had a fabric curtain, which I'm not keen on and think a glass screen upgrade might improve the shower quality. I didn’t use the restaurant apart from breakfast so can’t comment. The reception area and lifts are very modern and bright. If you fancy a drink or meal there is an O’Neil’s Irish pub next to the hotel which we had an early dinner, it was fine for what it was, simple pub grub. I thought the £101 for the night with breakfast was a bit steep compared to Premier inn for instance, but worth it for us on this occasion because of it’s proximity to the concert venue. If we were going to that part of Newcastle again I’d definitely stay at the County again, 8 out of 10.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet ask for a room overlooking the rear courtyard/car park area. We stayed...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking your time to provide fellow travellers with a detailed review following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle.

The location of our Hotel is very central to all that Newcastle has to offer, including within walking distance to the O2 Academy and the Metro Radio Arena and directly opposite the Central Station.

I was really pleased to learn that you found the team to be friendly and welcoming during your stay and that your request for a quiet room was acknowledged. Thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast offering.

I am sorry that the pillows weren't to your personal choice. There are spare pillows in the wardrobe and additional pillows can be obtained anytime by contacting reception.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we can be of service to you again should you return to Newcastle.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just returned from a night at the County Hotel and had a great stay. Reception Area is lovely and the Receptionist (really sorry I didn't get her name) could not have been more friendly and helpful - checked us in straight away and our rooms were ready even though we were early. Our Room was great - huge, comfortable bed, lovely white sheets and quilt and great pillows. Lots of lovely extras that we didn't expect - brilliant hairdryer, and comfy dressing gowns and slippers. Bathroom was spot on with a great shower. Breakfast was excellent, great variety, and the service couldn't have been better - especially from Bridget. Every member of Staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasurable. The Hotel is in a fantastic location too - directly opposite the train station and very convenient for all of the shops, bars and restaurants. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us whilst you visited Newcastle.

I am delighted that you had a 'great stay' and that the team looked after you. Thank you for your comments regarding the bedroom and breakfast service. I will ensure that the team receive a copy of your feedback.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the very near future.