County Hotel
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$84
  • Breakfast included
$80
$76
  • Restaurant
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$102
$87
$81
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Pool
Jurys Inn Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$72
$68
Travelocity
$79
$74
  • Restaurant
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$205
$119
  • Restaurant
Jesmond Dene House(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$101
$95
Agoda.com
easyHotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$53
$40
Official Hotel Site
    1,165 results
    All reviewsdirectly opposite the stationtrain stationcar parkstreet noiseexcellent locationcity centrebit datedstayed for one nightbuffet stylehotel barbars and restaurantsthistlenewcastleearplugsnightlifehairdryerarena
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel is straight across the road from the station so was very handy when we arrived late in the evening. It wasn’t too far from the University which is where we were due the next morning. The station area seemed a little seedy at night but was very nice in daylight the next morning.
    The hotel public areas were excellent and there was a good choice of hot and cold food for breakfast. The reception staff were very helpful. My room was at the end of a corridor and wedge shaped and although ok for one person it was quite small for a double room. The bed was small and could only be accessed from one side, really not suitable as a double. The room was nicely decorated and facilities were very good: tea tray, hairdryer, iron and ironing board and a flat screen T.V.

Room Tip: Room 304 is wedge shaped so a bit tight for a double. I expect there are some others like this on the other floors.
    • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
    Thistlehotels, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay in Newcastle.

As you mentioned, the hotel front door is literally 45 seconds away from the exit of the station, making it ideal for lone travellers, those who are cost conscious and don't want additional taxi fares or those like me who appreciate the extra 15 minutes in bed on a morning!

I was very pleased to learn that you found the public areas to be excellent, your bedroom was well equipped and comfortable and you enjoyed the selection at breakfast. Thank you for your kind comments about the reception team - we often receive great feedback for the front desk team and they are generally thrilled when they receive mentions such as yours. I will ensure that it is forwarded onto them.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Booked this by my company's travel department. Very convenient as directly opposite the station. It's an old hotel, squeaky boards in the room etc. but so much nicer than something that will only last 10 years like most modern hotels. Average value for what it was, staff really helpful, premium economy in aircraft terms!

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing feedback to fellow travellers following your recent stay with us at the County.

Like you , I am a fan of older buildings - the County was originally built as a hotel in 1873 and has served Newcastle ever since - and as you can imagine, the building has seen a number of changes during this time, from the removal of the coal fires in the bedrooms to the addition of bathrooms - all making up a really interesting and varied history of the building. A lot of our guests stay with us because of its quirky charm and the warm homely feel which is often missing in the shiny new builds of today. Couple that with genuine service and a friendly team and we have a really good offering to those travelling for business or for pleasure.

Thank you for your kind comments and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the County Hotel for one night and got an excellent rate of £40.00 for a double room through ebookers. The room was on the small side but perfectly adequate for us for one night as it had everything we needed including tea/coffee making facilities with complimentary biscuits. Also both bedroom and bathroom were very clean. Bed was comfortable, room a little warm, the thermostatic control on the radiator may have made a difference had we noticed it! One small point about the bathroom, there is nowhere to hang a towel or robe, a small hook would be handy!
    Can't comment on the food as we did not eat in the hotel.
    We would return for a similar price but would expect a larger room for a higher price.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased you managed to take up one of our offers which offer great value for money. Please keep an eye on the Thistle web site for great offers coming up in the future.

Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness and comfort of the bedroom and bathroom - I am really pleased that you found it satisfactory. Thanks also for the note about a hook to hang up towels etc. Our housekeeping team are currently compiling a list of those rooms without this facility so that they can be replaced. Thank you for pointing this out.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We are just back from a weekend stay at the County Hotel in Newcastle.The location was great, which was mainly why we picked here.The reception area is lovely but the rooms are tiny,ours overlooked Central Station (312) which was lovely.We had a few drinks in the hotel bar, but there's no atmosphere, or people and its so expensive( for Newcastle) £7+ for a glass of wine !!!!!! We also ate in the restaurant on Saturday evening,the food was gorgeous but hardly anyone in, considering it was valentines weekend. The breakfast was faultless, all freshly cooked, and the girls were great, though run of their feet at breakfast. Yes ....you could definitely hear people coming out of the lift at all hours,quite noisy but not a major problem to us.
    All in all it was fine but we have stayed in many hotels in Newcastle and this one was pretty Average. I don't think we would return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really pleased to learn that you found the central location to be just what you were looking for and that you liked the reception area and the view from your room.

I am sorry that you found the restaurant and bar area to be lacking in atmosphere. We are aiming to attract those guests who are looking for something a little different to the regular food and drink offerings in the locality - a good selection of quality food and drinks along with good personable service in a relaxed atmosphere. I am guessing that as it was Valentines weekend, a lot of our guests had made arrangements in advance without realising what a great offering we have at the hotel. I am really pleased that you found the food to be 'gorgeous' - thanks for the lovely comment! Hopefully your experience will encourage people to consider dining with us.

I was delighted that you found the food and service at breakfast to be faultless. I have passed your comments onto the team as they are really motivated when guests appreciate their hard work - thank you for this.

I do hope that the pro's outweigh the few negatives that you noticed - we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Hotel should you return to Newcastle in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

First impressions of the hotel are good with a smart reception area and trendy bar. But then things go downhill fast. My room was small; alternately hot or cold, but never right; the bathroom was pretty grim and everything felt a good few years past it's best. It was not an environment in which I would have wished to have spent more than one night (incidently, the noise from the hall and from people walking back to their rooms from the lift areas was terrible - probably the worst I have encountered - it needs some decent soundproofing desperately)!

Breakfast could have redeemed things (to a degree) but again it was average at best - just like the hotel really! Overall, I'm sure that there are far better places to stay in Newcastle for the money (the room I stayed in cost £104 - very poor value for money).....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am really sorry that you had a less than favourable experience whilst you were staying with us. The hotel has recently gone through a redecoration and refurbishment programme and we have had some great feedback about the changes made, particularly about the reception, bar and bedrooms.

Please accept my apologies for the noise in the corridors. Unfortunately, like in many hotels, some guests are not considerate of other peoples rest and continue their conversations at a volume level which causes a disturbance to those resting. The night team at the hotel are very conscious of this and if they are informed of noise by guests or if they notice a group of people making excessive noise then they do ask them to be more considerate of others and this usually does the trick. Unfortunately if they are not aware of the noise then it can be missed.

I was really surprised that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience. We receive many positive comments (including several on Tripadvisor) about the quality of food and the service offered within the hotel. Please be assured that I will monitor this with a spell of spot checks to ensure that we are maintaining standards as expected.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I do hope that you would consider staying at the County should you return to Newcastle in the future.