“Amazing Food”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The food was absolutely amazing and good value for the quality and the staff were very friendly. We were very impressed by how quickly the food came once we had ordered and everything was really fresh, well cooked and perfectly spiced/ seasoned- even coming from my boyfriend who is a bit of a spice nut!

1  Thank Pippa W

Reviewed October 20, 2013

When we arrived we were shown to our table almost straight away, we did have the option of sitting in the lounge area first but we were a little hungry. The was not a lot to choose from on the menu but this is not a bad thing. Starters were ok if not a bit dry, main course was a better and I had the curried lamb shank and the lamb was cooked well. One thing I did notice was as the night wore on the service became a little sloppy and a few times I had to get up and grab someone for service. To sum it up good atmosphere, service ok and food good with ok prices to match.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We eat out regularly in Newcastle and have visited Electric East a few times. Like it says in the title, it is was it is. Its very laid back, staff aren't exactly friendly and engaging. They also don't seen to be assigned to certain tables from what we have gathered and sort of wander down the restaurant to waiting tables. The food however, is extremely yummy and have never had a problem with this - definitely recommend the king prawns and the scallops with pork! mmmm!

Toilets need a re-furb and the service and attention to detail could/should be slightly perked, this would then match the food and the prices you present at the end of the night!

1  Thank Megan S
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place never falls short. Went with My wife for my birthday and, as usual, the ambience, service, food and drink was first class.
The flavours in the food are incredible. Always nice that the owner always asks how we've enjoyed our food.
Will be back soon.
Best restaurant in Newcastle.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were lucky to receive a voucher for Electric East which gave us a 3 course meal and vietnamese coffee each. Nicely tucked away in Waterloo Square it's very welcoming with pleasant lighting and asian decor.

The flavours in the food are fantastic in particular the scallops with pork for starters we couldn't fault - if you don't see yourself as a scallops fan then trust me you will after this. Take the leap of faith! Nothing special about the chilli squid but they are nicer than the average fried calamari! The legendary shaking beef was lovely as was the 7 spice sirloin steak - great flavours. In particular the coriander and tomato fondue that came with the sirloin has a delicious fragrant and deep zing, yum! It's a big steak by the way!

Desserts weren't amazing for me personally. The pineapple tart tatin was awkward to cut with a spoon alone but had a lovely bold caramel flavour. Hot pineapple and pastry isn't really a combo for me. Choc and anise mousse cake was very dense and tamarind ice cream was a welcome twist, it does work but this dessert is very rich! Next time I think we'll share one of those!

The coffee is a delightful little finish to the meal especially if you're new to the serving style as we were. I won't spoil the presentation here :-).

Overall the service was good and the staff friendly and accommodating. The menu has a lot of interesting flavours, it certainly lives up to it's fusion style - we'll certainly be back to try more.