“Can't knock the grub”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Visited for tea one evening after a walk.
Hubby had the Mexican burger which came beautifully presented with a side of fires.
I had humus and flatbread and some halloumi in lemon and olive oil. All delicious though I’d prefer the hummus to be smoother as it used to be.
A fine bottle of Sangiovese and home happy as could be.

Yes it is too cold in there and the loos need some work.
Still great food.

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

This a lovely little pub on the busy high street. As it clearly states on the outside on a chalk board, if you want a pint of carling or some blue wkd I wouldn't bother going in as they don't stock these but do have a massive range of beers and ciders. I ordered a lamb burger which was absolutely gorgeous, it had Brie on and you get a pot of lovely handmade chips aswell, very filling. The only negative I could say is the tapas is very small, there is an offer of 3 for £12 I think but I don't feel like I would be anywhere near full from them the portions are quite small. Will definitely be going back.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Crank up the radiators!! Me and the mrs would have stayed for another pint but it was freezing!! Not the only person to have a coat on!!

3  Thank Elvislead
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A friend and I called in on a first visit late on a Friday afternoon . Apart from the staff the place was empty as well as being uncomfortably cold .

Hey-ho - we'll have a pint anyway .

Unfortunately it turned out the attitude of the barman matched the temperature in there .

When the 'kitchen' (which is the former glasswash area at the end of the bar) quickly started filling the bar by putting out greasy blue air from the deep fat fryer and grill I asked the barman with the quiff if they could possibly shut the door to the kitchen .

"..NO ! " was his initial curt reply, quickly followed up with a fecetious "..why ? - coz of the cooking smells ?!"
"yes" I replied , adding that the heavy smell was really building up and starting to cling to my clothes .

Our genial host then abruptly advised "well the fan's on" as he nonchalantly moved on and dismissively went about his business .

At a time where bars and pubs are struggling the least I'd expect is a semblance of customer service - or at very least a degree of politeness - not a smarmy rank dose of X-Factor-devotee attitude .

I'm not one for writing reviews one way or the other but felt obliged to comment on this place .
One thing about these 'independent' bars is that they can think they're "too cool for Christmas" and the rotten attitude of this chap did everything to enforce this perception .

My jacket's now in the wash .

Me and it certainly won't be back .

5  Thank Bill_Decker
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Really confused about some of the reviews on here, this place is a rose between lots if thorns! My wife and I often go to Barca for drinks but generally don't eat out, however we had friends staying with us and decided to go out for Sunday lunch, we chose Barca because of all the wonderful things we'd heard about the food, we were NOT disappointed! Beef cooked to perfection, delicious roasted parsnips and carrots, homemade Yorkshire puds and gravy to die for as well as lots of other perfectly cooked veg. I cannot recommend this pub enough, great atmosphere, really friendly staff, my only criticism would be the toilets they need a bit of an update as they are cold and a bit grubby looking, however how much time do you actually spend in the loo! GREAT PLACE IGNOR THE POOR REVIEWS!!!!!

2  Thank Harry_kin1