“Breaks the mould of the theme chain restaurants”

Las Iguanas - Newcastle
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: It's been packed from day one, the new hot spot for lunch, dinner and cocktails. It's just the place to drop in for supper before or after a night out at the Theatre Royal too.
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Breaks the mould of the theme chain restaurants”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Las Iguanas is one of those theme chain restaurants that you know will be offering up sub standard food at an inflated price.

If you think that then think again.

The food here is excellent, there is a great atmosphere and vibe in the place and the two for one cocktails make it an even better night (or lunch!) out.

I had long wanted to try this place after reading the menu in the window a few times in passing. I love south american food and reading the menu certainly struck a chord with a number of items catching my eye. We made a fleeting lunchtime visit and was very impressed with the food and the bill, so couldn't wait for a return visit on an evening.

My second visit was another unplanned meal out where we dropped in en spec one Monday evening. The place was very busy, but they managed to find us a table for two quickly.

We shared the Fish Taco Sharing Plate on our first visit and because it was so good, did the same again. You choose three of the seven small dishes available and these are served with melted cheeses & salsa, pink pickled onions, radishes, spring onions, soured cream and a pile of little tortillas to load up. We had the Spiced shredded lamb, Lemon, garlic & chilli prawns and the superb Roasted coconut butternut squash - I would love the recipe of the latter! Double thumbs up on the starter.

For my main I chose Chicken Chimichanga which came with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, garlic & coriander rice & refried beans. My wife had chicken Burrito which came with salsa, sour cream & guacamole, crispy salad & frijoles refritos, rice, slaw, cheese.

The waitress asked if we wanted any sides and I answered the same way I always do 'do you think we need them'. She said that for her she would always have potatoes so we ordered some patatas bravas. These were superb being served and crisp little potato chunks with the smoky sauce and aioli mix on the side to dip in. Superb but totally unnecessary as the mains we ordered were huge portions.

We managed to eat the main items but had to leave some of the rice and beans and patatas as there was just no room left!

The above was washed down with a couple of excellent 2-4-1 cocktails - the Mango Collins is a Solero in a glass, mmmm - and the bill arrived at under £60. Great food and great value for money.

Just a word for the staff - service was prompt, unobtrusive, helpful and friendly. Just what you want, so top marks to them.

Excellent addition to the thriving Grey Street food scene.

Great night out for couples or a party of friends that breaks the mould of the theme chains.

1 Thank Blackjackburger

• Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
“Cool vibe, great food”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I recently visited Newcastle with my parents and we stumbled across las iguanas by accident really! Looked pretty busy for early on a Tuesday evening so we headed in! Catchy music, happy staff and quirky interior decor gave this place a great first impression. The two for one cocktails was also a bonus! I chose a Brazilian style chicken curry with a crayfish and peanut sauce! (Can't remember the long name) but it was sooo good! One of the best meals I've had out for a long time! Can't give this place enough praise!

2 Thank Itslauraday77
“Bring back Blue Coyote!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was so excited to try this, very disappointed with what I chose, too loud with no atmosphere. Blue Coyote was Mecican with attitude & taste - sorry but true!!

1 Thank scottiegirl52
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1,252 restaurant reviews
“Blazing Bird”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

What a great name for a main course and how it lives up to it too with 3 different strength chilli sauces to choose from. Lots of yummy cocktails chimichangas burritos a great atmosphere and excellent attentive service. Also try their famous fajitas.

Visited August 2013
Cumbria
“Good venue, but don't go there for the food”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice vibrant place, busy and the food looked very interesting and inviting when we arrived.

The cocktails were good and to be honest we should have left it there and moved on to eat somewhere else. However we had booked, so took our table downstairs in the restaurant, which upon first impression was nicely decorated and a lot quieter, which meant we were able to chat easily.

However the service was slower than slow, had to remind the staff to take out drinks order and we must have sat for at least 30 minutes before they took our order.

The starter was fine, but then you can't really mess up a plate of nachos, however the mains were less than satisfactory, dry and tasteless. They had obviously been under the heat lamps and had been heated within an inch of their edibility! The rice on one dish was so dry it had formed a ball, which you could have use to put out a window!

We did mention this to the waitress who very kindly offered one of us a free coffee, but I am afraid if you can't get rice right then a free latte isn't quite going to cut it.

Visited August 2013
LasIguanasHQ, Owner at Las Iguanas - Newcastle, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that the food wasn't to your liking when you visited as our food should be fresh and tasty all the time! I would like to arrange for our area manager to speak to you further. I'd be grateful if you could let me have some contact details including a name and telephone number to lucy@iguanas.co.uk. Many thanks, Lucy- Las Iguanas