“Wouldnt recommend - service is awful” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ninos at The Gate
Ranked #507 of 1,243 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Wouldnt recommend - service is awful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was really disappointed with my trip to Ninos. This place has so much potential seeing as it is in the heart of Newcastle & situated in the busy Gate complex but it just didn't work for me.

Firstly, the service is really poor. The waiting time for our food/drinks to arrive was ok but when we had finished our meals we had to wait 10 minutes for someone to clear our tables & a further 10 minutes for the bill. After receiving the bill we could not catch one of the waitresses (who seemed to avoid social contact at all costs & didnt make any friendly conversation with any customers) to bring us the card machine. In the end my friend had to shout for her attention & she didn't seem very pleased.

Secondly, I had garlic bread & this was really nice. My friends had carbonara, margarita pizza & a seafood dish - all of which they said were ok but tasted quite salty. My bolognese was quite dry & I couldn't finish it. They had also included cheese in the sauce so please be wary - think they could advertise that better as I am lactose intolerant! I would have complained but felt the waitress wasn't helpful & I just wanted to get out of there.

Thirdly, the pricing is good especially for the portion sizes which are good. The happy hour is also quiet reasonable. I wouldn't recommend going on a weekend as it can get quite noisy & the tables are quite close together. There is not much of an atmosphere but maybe that was just because it was really busy.

I think that the staff need to improve on their communication skills & be more friendly & approachable as I felt that we would have enjoyed our time here more if they had of been, instead we felt like a nuisance.

This place should really try harder as there are so many more cheaper, friendlier Italians in Newcastle that will take its customers.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favourite Italian!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We are regulars at ninos - we love it and are never let down. Portion sizes are excellent for the price particularly in happy hour. And are of fantastic quality - so tasty! There is always a cocktail of the day too which is a cheaper alternative to the menu but still tastes lovely. We don't usually have a pudding but there was a new chocolate and marshmallow cheesecake which was delicious and also a big size!
We are always very happy when we are at ninos and there is always prompt service.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“really nice food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

the salads served in Ninos are some of the best salads i have had when eating out, the quality is fantastic and they dont skimp on the ingredients either.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Waiting time is appalling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Arrived here at 9pm to find only 6people sitting on a table together and no other diners. Great. Or so we thought. Sat for 10minutes before the waitress decided to ask us if we would like any drinks. We ordered drinks and were served them promptly. Service time for the arrival of food was pretty quick - approximately 5mins. However, when serving our food one of the main dishes was wrong (served a carbonara) The waitress took it back and came out to say it would be a further 5mins for the correct main to arrive. It arrived and was slightly warm. The main course (prawn gamberetti) was advertised as being with a tomato sauce and it came in a cream sauce, which gave me the impression they'd just added a few prawns to the carbonara sauce to make up for their mistake. We had also ordered garlic bread, to which we are still waiting for.
On eating the gamberetti, albeit just warm, it was tasty... until I discovered a hair hanging from a king prawn, instantly making me feel sick.
When the waitress decided to come and clear our tables after 15mins of sitting with the empty plates on our tables, we complained when asked how the food had been. She seemed shocked when we stated all our points and her reaction to the hair being in the food was "Oh, was there?" no apology, nothing.
We didn't get charged for the main course mix up, nor did we get charged for the missing garlic bread.
Overall a very poor standard and service, especially with it being so quiet. Had it have been busy we may have understood the waiting time and mix up.
Not good at all. I won't be going back

Billingham-on-Tees, null, United Kingdom
“Raw Onions and Waiting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

When we arrived at the restaurant we had a 10minute wait to be asked if we would like a drink and when we had placed our drink order we then had the pleasure of sitting watching our drinks sit at the bar whilst our waitress proceeded to clean and set up every table in sight. Once the food came we'd ordered a calzone and throughout eating it managed to obtain an entire raw red onion from within. Then once the waitress finally decided to clean away our dishes after 20minutes we asked for the bill and a further 10minutes had past by before we realised the bill wasn't coming so approached the till to pay and a bill was placed in front of me for a completely different table with no sort of verbal dialogue attempted at any point along the line!!!!

2 Thank Harriet H