“Pretty poor”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Tuesday night, we were hungry and cold so we decided to give it a try. We ordered a bottle of house red and had the same starter of creamy mushrooms on toast (pâté was off as they'd run out, but there was no-one in, so I don't know how). Waitresses were both friendly and accommodating, but when our starter arrived it was tiny. Usually you'd expect a small starter if it was a taste sensation, but button mushrooms on literally half a disc of baguette smothered in what seemed to be tinned mushroom soup was what we received. That was gone in about 2 minutes, and our main came quickly afterwards. I had half pizza (pepperoni and chilli) and half pasta (tagliatelle funghi). My wife had the risotto funghi. Basically it was the same mushroom soup as the starter in both dishes with asparagus and toasted pine nuts thrown in. Pizza was standard but the chillies were out of a jar. I don't blame the waitresses - they were just doing their job - but if there was a chef in the kitchen - he / she should be ashamed. Not an inkling of care or attention. I got the feeling the staff knew it was terrible too and I just felt a bit sorry for them. The one good thing was the bottle of wine, which for a house red was pretty good. All in £33.00 for the meal and tip for the tip because the waitresses were attentive. I hope the chef gets none of the tip!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have been to this restaurant around 3 times in total over the last year or two. All 3 times I must admit I have been slightly disappointed with the quality of the food, it looks lovely but doesn't pack much taste for an Italian restaurant. The garlic bread was more bread than garlic, although the portions are very generous, I would advise sharing the garlic bread between 2 or 3 people if you want mains as well.
I have had pizza and pasta here and unfortunately it didn't deliver what I was expecting in terms of taste and quality (pasta has been very overcooked and I could have made the sauce myself at home).

The restaurant is nicely decorated and the service is quick and very pleasant, I just wish the food had more flavour.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed in Jesmond for a couple of nights with my wife on a Peel Hotels promotion deal. Walking around looking for somewhere to lunch when we came across Nino's. Very good service, very reasonably priced and excellent food. Big portions too! If we were in the area again we would definitely return.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a table reserved and this was waiting for us upon arrival. Waitress gave us a few minutes after being seated and then took our drinks order, they then took our order when they delivered the drinks. The food was served fairly quickly and was very nice, I shared a garlic bread which had fresh chilli, sun dried tomatoes and thyme, and we both loved it, by far the best garlic bread we have ever had. Our main courses came pretty quickly after clearing away the starters, again the food was lovely and there was plenty of it. In the restaurant they play Tom and Jerry cartoons against a white washed wall and this entertains the little ones eating there. The staff were very friendly and liked a laugh, the only down side was the state of the toilets, these need to be addressed, they need a darn good clean. Would I go back, yes.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I cannot over state how incredibly fast the service at Nino's was, in fact it was a little bit too fast at times - sometimes it is good to have a little bit time to relax!

When we arrived at Nino's it was just after the end of their happy hour promotion so the resaurant was VERY busy. It was quite noisy and felt rather crowded but after about half an hour things were a lot calmer and quieter. The food was good,hot and the portions were generous. The staff were very polite and efficient - I have never known such fast service! Nino's is not particularly cheap but I did feel that was reflected in the quality of the food and service however in the future I would only return when it was less busy.