“Nice food but far from the best”
Review of Solomons Dhaba

Solomons Dhaba
Ranked #104 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Solomons Has been established since 1992 and is a family run business providing exceptional Punjabi & Kashmiri Indian Cuisine and quality of service second to none. We would like to welcome you to experience our rich and opulent surroundings with your family and friends Our menu has a great selection of authentic Halal food from the Indian Punjabi and Kashmiri Regions with an excellent choice of vegetarian food. We pride ourselves in using the finest ingredients, cooked to perfection, ensuring a memorable dining experience.
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I went with my fiance for dinner one recent Saturday night. I've been before but not for a while. We were seated and given a menu to look and our drinks order was placed. The next thing I knew, the waiter who had been clearing the table behind me drops a whole load of plates, covering my coat in all manner of curry sauces! Although he was shocked at his mishap, he did not apologise nor did he get me a cloth to clean my coat. I had to get another waiters attention and asked for a wet tea towel. When he came back with it, I told him that I would do it because I knew it needed the majority "scooping" off before dabbing the stain. He insisted that he would do it and, as I knew he would, he began rubbing the whole thing into my coat. Needless to say I didn't enjoy the rest of my night. There are better restaurants in Newcastle than this one.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had been to Solomon's Dhaba recently. They serve good quality food. The food really tastes good, probably one among the very nice indian restaurant in the city. It is a hidden gem, located near Brighton Grove, in Fenham Area. The ambience is not well decorated like any posh restaurant as one expects. But the quality is really really appreaciable. They should definetly consider expanding their seating facitlity, so that more customers can come in and enjoy their dishes. The present seating capacity might be somewhere close to 40 seaters. it is very small place, hence advance booking will be appreaciated to avoid disappointment.

1  Thank Snow G
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Restaurant needs to employ a chef who can cook and not just reheat food cooked in their bigger sister restaurant in Denton (almost admitted by manager) no discount even though we couldnt eat the dry tough meat, just an apology.

4  Thank Jeanie1956
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have only been twice. Having seen the other reviews ppl have written, I might have been lucky? on both of my visits.
Atmosphere is reasonable, nth spectacular, kinda like sitting in an improved kebab shop. Staff was ok, but not very friendly. I just love how they were a bit annoyed with us when we were ordering food and then, asked us if we liked their food and would kindly write some good reviews for them on trip advisor.
Well, I have tried their mixed grill, naans, briyani and one of their karahi lamb dish.
Their naan is gd in that they are soft, tasty and not too oily compared to the ones I have had at the two big Indian place in big market and down near centre of life.
Briyani is definitely the best one I have had in Newcastle, good Meat choice and decent portion. Tasty but slightly on the greasy side.
Karahi lamb is nice but not the best one i have had in newcaslte. It's lacking spices and texture in that it is only a tasty runny curry like the ready meal ones.
Mixed grill is good price, decent portion, I changed the rice to spicy chips which have to say are very good chips, way better than the peri peri chips at nandos. Taste wise is nth special. Adana, shish are average. Chicken was good at the start, i was amazed at how moist and tasty the breat was until I find the interior are not cooked (red juices running out when cut). I didn't make a hassle at the time, coz I thought u know, u wouldnt complain if u get bad food at a kebab shop.
Price wise, cheap! If u share between two ppl, u cam get way very full with a taste of briyani, mixed grill, curry, chips and naan for less than 10 pounds each.
So overall if u want to enjoy decent and cheap Indian/ tandoori dishes at a restaurant, this is the choice.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

A couple of us visited on a bank holiday evening. The place was rather quiet except for the waiter who was very helpful. Shame as I am grumpy b. ;-)

There was parking exactly opposite and the restaurant isn't much to look at externally but is a bit of a Tardis in that it was much larger looking inside and quite pleasant with the floorboards stripped and a small bar area.

I tend to be a bit of a curry freak as I eat it most days at some point. I had a starter - the ubiquitous bhuna prawn on puri as I hadn't had one for years and it was a delight, nice and crisp and not greasy. ditto for the main meal with the lamb well cooked and no unidentifiable bits. We couldn't clear our plates.

I will certainly visit again the next time I am in the Fenham area.