“Something different in Newcastle”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tea Sutra Teahouse

Tea Sutra Teahouse
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Seating, Waitstaff
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Something different in Newcastle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Heard someone chatting about this place so thought I'd pop in on a Saturday evening with my wife. The décor is best described as 'hippy chic' with a mixture of traditional tables, comfy chairs and a sitting area. The young lad behind the counter was very helpful and pointed out the menu choice, a small range of wraps and vegetarian dishes. Obviously the main attraction is the selection of teas. We ended up having a dahl and rice dish which was great and very inexpensive. We also tried a couple of their poppy seed cakes which were also good. Tried an iced tea and something warmer with our cakes. Again the lad who was serving was more than happy to chat through and recommend the best teas. The total bill was £25...a bargain. A welcome addition to the city. Give it a go, even if you only try a tea. They are open until 8pm I think

1 Thank businessvisitorNE

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must for tea lovers and vegetarian / vegan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

It's a perfect spot for just relaxing with a perfect pot of tea or healthy lunch or snacking.
The waiting stuff never rush and always welcoming.
I haven't tried their cakes yet but I enjoyed their falafel wrap, their soup and their chili with brown rice from the daily menu. All reasonably priced and make you feel good and healthy. I'd go there everyday if I could. Can't recommend enough!

Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Lovely place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I've been a few times now and every time has been great! There is a vast range of teas to choose from. My fave so far is the Chai tea for two which you get in a cute elephant teapot - spicy and sweet. Have also tried a couple of the other teas one of which was a blue liquid and when you add lemon to bring out the flavour it turned purple. The individual teas come in quite small pots but the staff are more than happy to provide more hot water to add to your pot. I love the decor and atmosphere - really chilled. The food is amazing - full of flavour and you get a good portion for what you pay. The cakes are lovely too, great texture and taste. Have tried the carrot and cardamon today. I would recommend this place to those who haven't tried vegan/vegetarian food before because you don't feel as though you're missing the meat. Definitely one of my favourite places in town!

“Great gem of a place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've visited tea sutra a few times I've the years , and its a fantastic place to go and chill out drinking teas and having a slice of cake , the staff are very friendly and accommodating , the decor matches the ambiance and its always a pleasure to visit tea sutra

• Visited June 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Huge choice of tea, I'll never visit a chain in Newcastle again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Beautiful, unassuming little place, the lovely decor and laid back atmosphere hits you as soon as you walk in. Really chilled and didn't feel rushed even though it took us ages to choose what we wanted - well with a menu of like 100 types of tea, what do you expect?! The menu was really extensive and included teas from all over the world, with helpful descriptions. My mate and I both had lovely teas in gorgeous little pots, hers even came with a little timer to tell you how long to leave it to brew for! My mate had a piece of cake too, and although I don't normally have a sweet tooth, must admit it was delicious and tasted really different and fresh... It isn't the cheapest for a brew, but I would soooo much rather spend my £3 in here than on a cuppa in Starbucks... Will definitely be returning to sample some more of the huge menu... Looked great for vegans and veggies too and would be keen to try more of the food in future...

• Visited July 2013