“Complete Disappointment!! Awful service!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Da Mimmo's

Da Mimmo's
Ranked #788 of 1,243 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Complete Disappointment!! Awful service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

After a long hard day at work my team and myself decided to treat ourselves to an early Christmas meal at this restaurant. On arrival we were made to feel unwelcome as the bar person ignored our requests for drinks at the bar. One person took our drinks order and then walked away from the bar leaving us waiting for another member of staff to come along. After rouglhy 10 minutes we were taken to our table, there were 8 members of our party and the seating arrangements were incredibly cramped. The food arrived quickly but was below average. The main problem with the restaurant was the incredibly ignorant, rude and annoying waiter/manager. He was insulting to most of us making us feel very uncomfortable with rude personal comments. He was extremely loud and we couldn't even eat our average food in peace. His jokes weren't funny and he was often bigited, making the overall experience unpleasant and quite upsetting. I will never go back here and would not recommend wasting your money or time here.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Alexandra M

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Hilarious staff, tragic food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Well if you’re after a barrel of laughs then this place is for you, however if your after decent food don’t!! You get a very warm welcome from the eccentric owner who comes out with hilarious Italian/Geordie phrases all the time, the waiters also share his sense of humour where you feel like you’re in a sketch for Fawlty Towers, airing on the side of rude to some I would imagine! Onto the food… heres where it goes downhill, admittedly we were on a Groupon deal and got 2 free glasses of very cheap plonk which tasted like a combination between sweet sherry and Ribena. Vile.

I ordered the “Surf and Turf” which at £20 I was expecting a treat… alas. The steak was freezing cold, I told the owner (who said he will shoot the chef, then blamed the coldness on a “draft”) and when returned my poor bovine had been nuked in the microwave to an inch of its life. My date who was suffering from a horrendous cold had a mushroom risotto and couldn’t really taste it but had she had any of her senses, she wouldn’t have as when I tasted it, it was nothing short of terrible!! If it wasn’t for a very cheap Groupon deal I wouldn’t have been happy and perhaps we should have gone with simpler choices however the comedy of the staff made it hilarious as some of the sayings they made were really offensive if taken the wrong way. I am likely never to return but if you want a cheap pizza/ pasta after the match and its probs not a bad shout.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Chris M
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“avoid avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

used to be a decent restaurant
used to have very nice blond gentleman as owner/ manager
he has now moved on
don't blame him the placer has gone really downhill
the dark haired manager is an annoying irritating little man who thinks he is a comedian
he shouts at the top of his voice continually with unsuitable rude comments and having a quiet intimate meal is impossible
the owner now works there and he is just downright rude
would not consider ever going back there

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank pat p
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not as good as used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Seems to be undergoing a change of name (can't remember the new name but it was on a board outside and on some of the menus). Most of the staff we were familiar with we're not there (perhaps just getting a few days off over Christmas) and most who were there were either loud or miserable (I reckon our main courses bounced as they were flung on to the table).

Food was much the same as it has always been - usually pretty enjoyable and nice enough. But let's see what changes are happening here in the next few months.

Also found it a bit strange (and perhaps it was meant as a joke) when the guy in charge (who must be the owners Father as he has the same patter) asked us to pay cash when he noticed we were about to pay by debit card so that he could pay the staff!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank sleep007
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Groupon voucher”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I went on a Groupon voucher, very pleasant surprise, staff attentive and friendly. Lovely pate starter for me and mussels for my husband. We both had surf and turf, my fillet steak was beautifully cooked and the Sirloin hubby had was good but small, had we not have had the groupon and paid full restaurant price we would have been disappointed with the size of portions but nice change and we will go back to try out some of the pasta dishes. House wine very pleasant.

1 Thank Huddleston_Brown