“Fantastic Persian food but crap English breakfast food”

Moulin Rouge Cafe and Grill
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We have Traditional Persian food also do all day English breakfasts We do meals with flat bread and also serve with rice. We now do delivery through Deliveroo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Persian food but crap English breakfast food”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Brought my friends there after a night out as I fancy something nice rather than a hungover meal. I ordered a saffron chicken on a flat-bread which was very successful as the chicken was juicy and had a delicious spices in them. However my mates had a big english breakfast and their sausages does not look good as it looks like as they came from school canteens, and beans were mushy but the egg was well cooked though. Its a shame that this place is let down by english breakfast as the Persian food is amazing.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank SimonWilkins

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
county durham
“What a find”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I went there today after reading the reviews, so pleased we did.
The quality of the food was excellent, I had the lamb shank, and my wife had the lamb kofta, and both tasted great.
We also had a starter between us, a mixed diced salad, a garlic and yoghurt dip, and the lovely flat bread, all excellent.
To say that we will go back again is an understatement, as it will surely become one of our regular haunts.
If you so wish, they also do a delivery service, don't know how much it costs , but going by the cost of the meals, I would think it wouldn't be too much.
It is small but very friendly, and has a lovely atmosphere.
Last but by no means least, the owner/chef, what a lovely friendly man, who welcomes everybody with a smile.
Very homely
He said to my wife and I that it is only a café.
My reply was yes a café but with restaurant quality food.
We will be back.
Alan Oliver

2 Thank shotley
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Family lunch”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very friendly, intimate setting. The food is delicious. Definitely will visit again. They made my two year old's order as soon as i ordered it.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sal255
London, United Kingdom
“a wonderful surprise”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I almost don't want to tell you how good this place is, in case you crowd it out. Delicious, home-cooked Persian food, amazingly reasonable prices and utterly charming service and attention to detail. Ate lunch there yesterday and today with a group of ten other colleagues, also got a takeaway this evening! Yes, we liked it that much. Looks like a cafe, tastes like paradise.

1 Thank answertoeverything
North Shields, United Kingdom
“little gem”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Went there today with my wife for lunch after reading good T.A reviews. It was well worth seeking out, as we had a lovely tasty meal at a reasonable price, with lots of fresh ingredients. We were served by the owner who was very friendly and helpful. He sat us down and showed us a number of items on the menu before leaving us to choose in our own time .The food was very well presented and featured delicious chunks of lamb and chicken for me ,and a lamb stew for my wife , both accompanied by perfect rice and a huge bowl of mixed salad .There was a large menu of English and Middle Eastern style dishes , and there is a featured daily Persian dish , so plenty of choice .This place bakes its own flatbread to order, as an alternative to rice,and it is delicious , as we ordered some to take home ( a cross between naan and chappati ).Service was so friendly and the whole experience so good that we will just have to go back.....SOON !

1 Thank Stephen k