“Stylish hotel in central location”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed here on business. Hotel was very impressive with good sized rooms that were well equipped and in a contemporary style. Hotel is near the centre of town and right by St James Park. Would use again for a business trip, but would probably not chose for a family visit as the bar style and particularly the uniform of the female staff is not family friendly!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Philip K
Liam R, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Hi Philip K,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I am very happy that you will be visiting us again! Why not check out our website to see which of our offers best suit you?

Front office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here overnight on a business trip, the hotel is modern and clean. Rooms were lovely and the views were great. The downside was that the hotel bar on a Wednesday night is so busy you have to basically fight for a seat. When you have done a 3 hour drive you just want to sit and relax so luckily there are bars and restaurants 5minutes down the road. I would stay there again business or city break.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hi MrSimondo,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It’s great that you really enjoyed your stay with us, I’m sorry to hear that the popularity of our Shark Club gastro bar did not work to your advantage though I am glad you took advantage of the hotels great location within the city.

Please do come and see us again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family stayed at this hotel beginning of February. We got our Junior Suite early, which was great since traveling with kids. The room was very nice and modern but really cold. Heaters were really noisy, we had to turn them off for the night. Location was really good, just short walk from the city centre. Otherwise great hotel, but that heating problem turned my rating from very good to poor.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Hi Tepasto,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Without your feedback we would never know how to improve our hotel, I am sorry you had an issue with the air conditioning unit in your room being too loud. I will pass your comments on to our maintenance department so they can look into this. I am very pleased to learn that other than this issue you thought the hotel was great, we would love to see you back again soon and if you let us know on check in about your experience we will make sure your next stay is more memorable for the right reasons.

Thanks again,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel Saturday 15th and a little Valentines treat for us both and when we got there the hotel was lovely very stylish. The reception staff were very welcoming and we were given a room on the 5th floor, when we got into the room it was as pictured on the website however I thought for what we paid and the star rating the rooms were very small, however it was adequate for what we wanted. Upon dropping our bags in the room we decided to go to the bar where to both of our discomfort the female bar staff were skimpily dressed. This not only made me feel uncomfortable but also my partner as well. They were dressed all in black very short skirts (just covering one of the bar staff's bums) and low cut vest tops. I asked the girl who was serving on our area and she said she was told that she had to dress like this as it was her uniform. I think that if you are there in a couple it isn't the best way to start a night off as like I said it made us both feel very uncomfortable. There were numerous couples who walked out after just arriving to the bar as they said the same it wasn't comfortable. I think this bar in the hotel is aimed at gathering men in there becuase of the way they make the females dress. The male bar staff were presented well in suits and ties. It is very degrading to womeen and maybe they need to rethink the uniforms.
On a whole the hotel was nice and the food in there was lovely too, however I dont think I would stay here again as for the same money (if not cheaper) we could of stayed in a more respectful establishment such as the Vermont. I would definitely say this hotel isn't for COUPLES!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Clare M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you didn’t find the Shark Club Gastro bar to your liking. The Shark club is part of a chain of Gastro bars that originates in Canada and is part of our hotel to compliment the excellent location in the heart of the city adjacent to the world famous St. James’ park football stadium. The uniforms you mentioned are in fact a brand standard and most of our guests do feel this fits well with the atmosphere they aim to provide, however I will bring your feelings about the uniform to the attention of the Shark club management.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed taking advantage of the mouth-watering menu that the Shark club has to offer and that you thought our hotel was lovely too, we do hope to see you again so why not check out our website for our very tempting offers?

Kind regards

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed on Saturday 15th February, the room we had was on the tenth floor which had great views over looking the city. The room had a fridge which was handy as we picked some food and drink up during the day so it kept them chilled, coffees and teas were also supplied. The decor of the room was very tasteful and we found the bed to be very comfortable which provided a good night sleep. The reception area is also very nicely designed, highly recommended stay!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Liam R, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Hi JMO_83,

Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel. We would love to see you again, why not check out our website for our tempting offers and treat yourself to another night on the 'Toon'?

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed with work whilst running an event at st. James park, location is great, reception staff were very welcoming and organised, rooms were also good, not to big but very stylish, dinner in the shark bar was also quality, good food and cold beer served with a smile. Overall a great experience.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hi Neil H,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel. We are simply delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed for two nights on business. Room was small but had everything I needed. Biggest issue was the lack of sleep due to the noise. First night disturbed in the early hours by drunk revellers in the hotel corridor, second night by the noise of the traffic outside, which I appreciate the hotel can do little about.
All the ladies on reception were lovely, friendly and helpful. Did not eat so cannot comment on the food.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Liam R, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Hi redharvey64_10,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the noise issues you had, I know a lot of guests may feel like they don’t want to make a fuss by calling reception regarding an issue during their stay , however we really do appreciate all feedback from our guests here. I am sure if you had let us know of the noise from other guests during your stay then our night team would have certainly investigated that for you. I do hope this does not put you off any future stays with us.

Thanks again,